What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why no keyboard like the Asus transformer?

no1up

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like one that will charge my laptop... extending the battery like another 10 hours while allowing to type faster would be a BIG plus!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why is it is a big plus...the keyboard just adds weight....cause it has a big battery...and if it charges the ipad...you'll just have ot charge it again.

If you want that, get a transformer...

OP
N

no1up

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that's not really helpful... I was hoping someone know of such keyboard. Why is it so wrong to want something like that? It would be nice to have that option.. :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Asus is the only company to makes a $150 keyboard like that...and if you are not careful it will tip over when the transformer is in it. I don't think it is as useful as it seems either, since very few folks are going to need that kind of battery life.

I have not seen any such type of keyboard for an iPad, either.

Last edited:

exile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only keyboard-like "keyboards" that can come close to that transformer keyboard design; is something like the clamcase, Logitech fold up keyboard and crux360. Those are all cases but designed to have a laptop like architecture.

It does not charge the ipad. The stand alone battery is for the keyboard's functionality.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure we will never see a design like that for the ipad. Apple won't infringe on Asus's design nor will after market. Since I'm sure Asus will drop a lawsuit on those who try. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You want a keyboard? Check this out.

image-1386065903.jpg

image-294957441.jpg

Last edited:

BobjGear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi Kevin,
interesting keyboard - do you have a link or product name please?

thanks,
bobj

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only keyboard-like "keyboards" that can come close to that transformer keyboard design; is something like the clamcase, Logitech fold up keyboard and crux360. Those are all cases but designed to have a laptop like architecture.

It does not charge the ipad. The stand alone battery is for the keyboard's functionality.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure we will never see a design like that for the ipad. Apple won't infringe on Asus's design nor will after market. Since I'm sure Asus will drop a lawsuit on those who try. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

Apple seems very reluctant to follow anyone....even some of the recent iOS updates, which follow Android, seem to come begrudgingly. I think they like to be trendsetters, not followers, on tech, even though there clearly where not the first to think of a lot of the tech that they sell...they were the first to make them things people actually want.

Even time I think of a keyboard to go with my iPad...I feel as if I'm drifting back to a laptop (not that I ever left). That's my problem with something like the prime...if you buy it, and that that $150, then why didn't you just buy a laptop...better yet, something like a Samsung Series 7 Slate, which runs windows 7 rather than Andriod and can be both a tablet and used with a keyboard, while running windows 7 (it will be updated to Win8 when that streets). I even wonder this very question with my iPad...every time i think of pairing it will a nice kb case then I'm just admitting that I need a laptop, rather than a tablet. And I already have a pricey laptop. Lots of people get MacBook Airs instead of tablets...and wonder if people buying tablets are crazy....

OP
N

no1up

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be like the asus brand, it can just be like a folio only charges your iPad

exile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Apple seems very reluctant to follow anyone....even some of the recent iOS updates, which follow Android, seem to come begrudgingly. I think they like to be trendsetters, not followers, on tech, even though there clearly where not the first to think of a lot of the tech that they sell...they were the first to make them things people actually want.

Even time I think of a keyboard to go with my iPad...I feel as if I'm drifting back to a laptop (not that I ever left). That's my problem with something like the prime...if you buy it, and that that $150, then why didn't you just buy a laptop...better yet, something like a Samsung Series 7 Slate, which runs windows 7 rather than Andriod and can be both a tablet and used with a keyboard, while running windows 7 (it will be updated to Win8 when that streets). I even wonder this very question with my iPad...every time i think of pairing it will a nice kb case then I'm just admitting that I need a laptop, rather than a tablet. And I already have a pricey laptop. Lots of people get MacBook Airs instead of tablets...and wonder if people buying tablets are crazy....

Definitely agree. I actually wanted the prime once upon a time. Then a realized what's the point of spending that much and having a keyboard when i can just buy another laptop.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the Transformer with the keyboard dock and found no use for it at all. What is funny is that when the Transformer Prime came out they felt the need to change where the dock plug is, thus making it useless if you wanted to upgrade. Non issue for me as I ditched it but still.

Most reactions