What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is there no bluetooth gaming controller for the iPad yet?

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A gaming controller would really make a lot of games easier to play. Games like shooters for example.

So as long as the ipad has been out, why has nobody even manufactured one gaming controller for these types of games? It seems like something that a lot of people would want and buy and since there aren't any yet, the first company to make one would have control of that market.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are a couple. The main reason they are not all-the-rage is that the game developer has to code the app to code for a specific controller.

There is no way to simply add a game controller to the iPad and have it work with all games. It's not a game console with the hardware support built in. Nor can you add system drivers for game controllers like you can on a computer. iOS's sandboxing (security) prevents this. And even if you could, you'd still have to have game developers code their apps to support it.

Here is the one controller I remember. Notice the list of games it's compatible with. I believe there were newer versions announced (smaller) at the WWDC, but I don't know if they are out yet. I seem to remember reading about one or two other companies/developers with products and a stable of games.

ThinkGeek :: iCADE - iPad Arcade Cabinet

Other possibilities are devices you can suction cup to the screen as joysticks and such. I've got a couple of Flings. They're ok, if not perfect, for some types of games.

Fling Joystick for iPad

Superfluous opinion: Skip if easily irritated.
It is true that many games would benefit from an external controller, but I'm more of the opinion that this is because many game developers haven't come to grips with the new interface; they just keep trying to pound the round peg into the square hole.

Mjfernandez1990

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly, i don't think that because the iPad is not a game counsel with the hardware support built in it shouldn't work at all. I mean I have a galaxy s3 for Verizon and I was able to connect my ps3 controller Bluetooth wise to my phone. Yes I know it's a whole different OS, but in order for me to have done that, I had to root my device. I think that if you jailbreak the device, someone should make that option to make it work. As well, it would be so much useful to use a controller for the iPad to play the games. It's mainly the reason why I bought my iPad to play games, but it makes it harder to play on screen. Or at least apple should make a wireless controller that only syncs to apple products and lets you play your games. Just like how they allow you to use Bluetooth keyboards, and they are not apple branded devices. So honestly, apple would be making a ill more money with those controllers for the iPad and iPhones or Mac. I would not hesitate to buy one cuz it would make gaming so much easier!!!!

OP
G

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, any news on any controllers yet? I have so many great games that I can barely play because the on screen controls suck.

Most reactions

Latest posts