What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is Siri not in the App Store?

GaryRea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Siri. I just read what it is, but I cannot find it listed in the App Store, which is strange, if it is a popular app.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
GaryRea said:
I'm not familiar with Siri. I just read what it is, but I cannot find it listed in the App Store, which is strange, if it is a popular app.

Siri isn't an app, it's built into the iPhone 4s and since the same circuitry was installed in the iPad 3 to run the dictation feature, the iOS 6 update will give Siri to the iPad 3.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's some clarification on the status of Siri. It was originally a third party app,available for almost any iOS device. Siri was bought by Apple,who initiated development of the new Siri feature for the upcoming new iPhone. After the introduction of the iPhone 4S in October 2011,the original app was shut down and removed from the app store. Siri now became a built In feature of the new iPhone 4S.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Siri isn't an app, it's built into the iPhone 4s and since the same circuitry was installed in the iPad 3 to run the dictation feature, the iOS 6 update will give Siri to the iPad 3.
How will this "update" to iOS occur? Will it be an automatic update once I'm on WiFi connection or will I have to download an update app? For free? To Purchase?
And how will I then get Siri? will it become an app? For free within iOS? Please excuse my "noobious" questions but I am very new to my marvelous iPad having only used Windows before where system upgrades "magically happen" when I switch on the PC>

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Siri will be part of the iOS 6 update in September. The update will be available over the air on wifi or you can connect to iTunes on your computer and update that way.
Updates are not automatic, you have to decide whether you want to update. When you receive the update notice and accept, the update will start. While the update is happening, don't use your iPad for anything else.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Siri will be part of the iOS 6 update in September. The update will be available over the air on wifi or you can connect to iTunes on your computer and update that way.
Updates are not automatic, you have to decide whether you want to update. When you receive the update notice and accept, the update will start. While the update is happening, don't use your iPad for anything else.
Thank you for the clear, concise answer that clarifies exactly what I lacked in understanding. Impressed by the knowledgeable people on this forum!

Most reactions

Latest posts