What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siri privacy?

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried Siri on my iPad and it's amazing!
Works great with foreign languages too. No more hunting for à etc. but sine it isn't on your iPad, everything you say is stored somewhere on a server just like using any cloud services.
So where is the privacy?
Maybe I'm paranoid and read too much about Big Brother! What do you think?

What

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your concerns are shared here too - which is why I have Siri turned off...

I'll be interested to read what others say...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Geez....what kinds of things are you going to ask Siri that requires you worry about privacy? If you are concerned about privacy, don't ask those questions that you think you need to keep secret. It takes a lot of energy to be paranoid all the time.

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Geez....what kinds of things are you going to ask Siri that requires you worry about privacy? If you are concerned about privacy, don't ask those questions that you think you need to keep secret. It takes a lot of energy to be paranoid all the time.

I know, I'm tired all the time…
The question I asked are all kosher. It's just the principle!

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How is it any worse than enabling your wifi or cellular location data? They know where you are.

How is it any worse than using your browser and typing something in the search box? They know what you searched for.

I am confused, does Siri save what I requested she look for? Your browser saves you history and cookies, so how would it be worse exactly?

Honestly, I am boring. And if I was worried about somebody tracking me, I would just pay with cash, use false names, and read paper books and never use net access anywhere or have an email addy(hello, your computer has a MAC address!) But then again, if I do that, what am I trying to hide? Seems like people who are concerned about security have something they need to hide, not personal, just sayin.

OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nakedbabytoes said:
How is it any worse than enabling your wifi or cellular location data? They know where you are.

How is it any worse than using your browser and typing something in the search box? They know what you searched for.

I am confused, does Siri save what I requested she look for? Your browser saves you history and cookies, so how would it be worse exactly?

Honestly, I am boring. And if I was worried about somebody tracking me, I would just pay with cash, use false names, and read paper books and never use net access anywhere or have an email addy(hello, your computer has a MAC address!) But then again, if I do that, what am I trying to hide? Seems like people who are concerned about security have something they need to hide, not personal, just sayin.

Can't argue with you about that. So why is everybody and his brother sending me lengthy, lawyer-written annual Privacy Notices?

I guess you never heard of Identity Theft and the problems it causes… and why are encryption programs sold to civilians who have nothing to hide either.

I guess I come from a parallel universe…

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wouldn't be concerned. What would you tell Siri that is so secret?

Sent from my MacBook using Chromium

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well if anyone wanted to know where the closest Chipotle is...that'd be revealing my private talks with Siri...if I had her! ;)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know, I'm tired all the time…
The question I asked are all kosher. It's just the principle!

think about this: zillions of people asking zillions of silly questions. fills their drives with silly info. harder for then to search it all to find the juicy bits. the value of information is inversely proportional to the amount you have. at least it used to be.

Last edited:

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wildfire said:
Can't argue with you about that. So why is everybody and his brother sending me lengthy, lawyer-written annual Privacy Notices?

I guess you never heard of Identity Theft and the problems it causes… and why are encryption programs sold to civilians who have nothing to hide either.

Nope, not parallel. I just wonder why Siri is any different from any other search engine or app, or for that matter, your magnetic strip credit card or drivers license in your wallet? I mean you point out that they are the same thing really, so why the worry? Did you not read the apple security statement about personal information & access? It was in the OS 6 release.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just don't tell Siri where you hid the bootle of liquor and you'll be ok :D

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wildfire said:

Hello wildfire--

1. Why do you get annual privacy notices? Because every time the law changes regarding consumer protection, companies have to produce these very important full disclosure and compliance statements so you cannot hold them liable in the event your identity was disclosed.

2. Of course everyone has heard of identity theft. But the single most common source of identity theft is lost or stolen wallets full of credit cards, medical identifications, employment, etc. we carry too much information that could easily be lost or stolen. Follows is a 2009 study.

3. You do come from a parallel universe, it is called the IPadForums, and don't you forget it! <s>

Attachments

• image-3356932096.jpg
    image-3356932096.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 324
OP
Wildfire

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MattIM said:
Hello wildfire--

1. Why do you get annual privacy notices? Because every time the law changes regarding consumer protection, companies have to produce these very important full disclosure and compliance statements so you cannot hold them liable in the event your identity was disclosed.

2. Of course everyone has heard of identity theft. But the single most common source of identity theft is lost or stolen wallets full of credit cards, medical identifications, employment, etc. we carry too much information that could easily be lost or stolen. Follows is a 2009 study.

3. You do come from a parallel universe, it is called the IPadForums, and don't you forget it! <s>

Thanks for posting the chart. I guess I'll start using Siri since only once did a thief in Paris, France steal a bifold out of my hip pocket. What he didn't know was that I carry valuables in zippered shirt pockets. Neither did he know that my wife had noticed him from another escalator and grabbed him with a lot of noise once we were at street level. As the police across the street started to pay attention, another guy approached with my billfold saying that he just found it!
Nothing missing&hellip;they weren't looking for pictures.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wildfire said:
Thanks for posting the chart. I guess I'll start using Siri since only once did a thief in Paris, France steal a bifold out of my hip pocket. What he didn't know was that I carry valuables in zippered shirt pockets. Neither did he know that my wife had noticed him from another escalator and grabbed him with a lot of noise once we were at street level. As the police across the street started to pay attention, another guy approached with my billfold saying that he just found it!
Nothing missing&hellip;they weren't looking for pictures.

If you are not pickpocketed, insulted, or made a wrong train stop and end up in Orly instead of the Charles deGaul, then you really hadn't visited Paris.

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MattIM said:
If you are not pickpocketed, insulted, or made a wrong train stop and end up in Orly instead of the Charles deGaul, then you really hadn't visited Paris.

Hi,
Pardon this intrusion, Is it true, about what Frank Zappa sang about France.
That the coffee eats right through the cup, and that there are diseases that can turn your Peter green?

Because I've never had the opportunity to visit their fine country myself.
But I'm sure it must be rather pleasant in the springtime.

Chas

Most reactions

Latest posts