What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do people keep upgrading iPads?

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I upgraded from iPad 1 to iPad 4 because I wanted one with a camera and browsing the web with IOS5 was a real pain, the processor just couldn't handle the extra demand of the OS. Having multiple tabs open in Safari and using google for instance, was getting to be a typing nightmare waiting for the text input to catch up with my typing, the new one is noticeably lighter too.

I agree with what you say though, I stubbornly held out as long as I could, my biggest annoyance now is the change to the lightning connector, I can't use my iPod/iPad charging dock now.

Upgrading from the 1 to the 4 is a pretty big step up and wouldn't be considered a frivolous update at all. I have the 2 and probably won't update until the fifth of sixth generation unit comes out.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Right. I guess we are following the rules and waiting long enough between buys. :)

I do get what the OP is saying but I've seen the same type of behavior for just about every product type and hobby. Heck, I've re-bought blu rays because of an audio track update. That makes me a clown too, lol.

I hate when BR come out with inferior tracks...or defective ones. I have many, many BRs/DVDs. Close to 2000 titles (including box sets).

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate when BR come out with inferior tracks...or defective ones. I have many, many BRs/DVDs. Close to 2000 titles (including box sets).

That's one band wagon I never joined, DVD is fine for me, my eyesight isn't good enough to determine the difference between BR and DVD, same with 3D, what good is that to a one eyed man lol? That "upgrade" at the time didn't warrant the price of a BR player, even now my DVD player is fine, if it dies I may consider upgrading as their prices are now dropping.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
That's one band wagon I never joined, DVD is fine for me, my eyesight isn't good enough to determine the difference between BR and DVD, same with 3D, what good is that to a one eyed man lol? That "upgrade" at the time didn't warrant the price of a BR player, even now my DVD player is fine, if it dies I may consider upgrading as their prices are now dropping.

I'm with you on how much resolution is needed for a good viewing experience.
I watch SD video on my iPad 2 and it's plenty for me.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

They've gotten better but early on there were lots of releases that didn't have the best audio track possible. The video wasn't always the best either! For the defacto video format, BR needs to have the best video and audio possible, IMO.

I'm with you on how much resolution is needed for a good viewing experience.
I watch SD video on my iPad 2 and it's plenty for me.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I also am satisfied with the video performance of the iPad 2. The size of the device makes a difference and that's why the lack of a retina screen on the mini is even less of an issue than on the regular size iPad. I appreciate great video quality and the retina display is beautiful. Just not enough to upgrade yet. :D

Last edited:

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I disagree on many points. Its all based on individual needs and lifestyles. To me as a college student, the iPad is more of a productivity tool than a gaming device in my opinion. It kind of puzzles me why people pay $500 just to play angry birds and other casual games, watching youtube videos, and other light uses; but again, its their money and their intentions to use it for whatever they like; if people choose to buy it as a cutting board I wouldn't care. And also, I personally used my ipad 3 for taking pictures during my vacations.

The reason for people upgrading is the same. I've owned an iPad 1, 3, and mini and every time I had my reasons for upgrading. My dad lives in south america, and we video chat often. I thought to myself it would be great to be able to video chat from my ipad, but the ipad 1 didnt have a camera. And like you said, I wasnt just going to go out and buy an ipad 2 because they have a slightly faster processor and cameras, so I waited. The ipad 3 came out with better cameras, an even faster processor, and the beautiful retina display. This was enough for me to upgrade. The iPad 4 was released, but it seemed like more of the same; faster CPU, new dock, but nothing really worth upgrading for. The mini on the other hand was a different story. Contemplating giving up the retina display for size and weight of a new, more portable iPad was tough. But going to my local apple store and holding it, I knew it was a step back in terms of its guts, but two steps forward in terms of using in for college. And to be honest, the real appeal for me in the ipad mini was the design. The shorter width of the bezel was definitely attracting me. And to be honest, I may consider getting the ipad mini 2 just to get that retina display back.

So everyone has their reasons to upgrade. And when you say "... I really don't see why people buy a new iPad each time a new version comes out," do you know anyone who does that? Most of the people around here tend to skip a generation before getting a new one, making the upgrades more significant.

rickwinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a new user I read this with some interest, as I've noted the same thing about desk top and laptop computers for years (in both PC's, and Macs).

There is always a segment of the retail customer base who will have to have the newest latest fastest smoothest bestest ... in whatever form that appears.

And then there is the rest of us --

My old desktop PC is a 2005 or 2006 Vista computer -- whatever year Vista first came out.

My 2008 Lenovo laptop is running on Windows XP Pro. My 2010 Dell desktop at work is a refurb running Windows 7 Professional.

The iPad is the first such device I've owned (received as a gift, btw) from my wife (yes, she's a keeper) who bought knowing that I would probably use the thing 10 years before I have a need to upgrade.

She did ask me what I would prefer before she bought, basically because my office environment is all Windows based computers but my phone is an ip4s. If I had wanted a different OS tablet that's what she would have gotten. So, ending up with the one in my lap was still a pleasant surprise because the options between pre-owned units on Ebay and new in the box units are endless.

For me the iPad over other OS choice came down to syncing with the phone for ease of access to information I use hourly, as opposed to a trying to turn a tablet into a fully functional working tool that will compete with the office desktop or the laptop for the writing and accounting work I do only a few hours a week. (I work in a people oriented environment that does not require a sea of paper to maintain).

So does "to upgrade or not to upgrade" come down to one's intended purpose? And not to forget, one's sense of budget constraints?

Probably.

In the meanwhile I do enjoy reading about whatever is going on, and about who has upgraded to what and what it will do. In my world there is no such thing as useless knowledge.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I initially saw the iPad as an entertainment device, pure and simple, but the thing has grown on me. I can no longer see myself being able to do my job without it. It is constantly in use, and when you are slogging down a cut line with a truck and trailer, it's good to know that you are on the right track, because in my job, a wrong turn could spell disaster. I have a Garmin GPS in the truck too, but it doesn't come close to the iPad in terms of giving me all of the information I need to do my job safely and efficiently.

When I'm parked, it becomes my hifi system, with a pair of Bose headphones attached, and I don't write much any more. Pages and Notes take care of that. It's communication features are handy too.

It's an iPad 2, btw, and while it keeps going, I'll stick with it. There will always be good reasons for updating hardware, for some people, but Apple equipment is generally built for a longer haul. The 2 is still a very useful tool.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For most people who use their iPad for a bit of fun like web browsing, watching a few videos and accessing email, I really don't see the need for upgrading. To me, that's what an iPAd is - an entertainment device, not something to work on; I have the laptop for that. I have iPad 2 and I can't see myself buying another iPad until the 9th or 10th version comes out by which time I would imagine the iPad will be very light, have very long battery life, very high quality screen, noticeably faster processor. But I really don't see why people buy a new iPad each time a new version comes out. Most of the upgrades are very small and incremental. Apple deliberately holds back big changes because they need to advertise something new each time they release a new one.

For example, if Apple brought a new iPad on to the market with only one change, let's say, a superior camera, there will be a flock going off and buying the new one even though most will never use the camera. Who uses an iPAd to take pictures? Its so awkward. Lot of the new iPad purchases are irrational.

Lol. It's irrational that you think your opinion matters when it comes to other people's uses or spending.

kelB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am on my first ipad (ipad 4gen) and I would upgrade every time a new device came out as I do with the iPhones.

I like to have the latest of everything and its as simple as that really lol

(Big Business Game App - Player Name: Beaneys / City Name: kêl / NEEDS: chisels)

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For most people who use their iPad for a bit of fun like web browsing, watching a few videos and accessing email, I really don't see the need for upgrading. To me, that's what an iPAd is - an entertainment device, not something to work on; I have the laptop for that. I have iPad 2 and I can't see myself buying another iPad until the 9th or 10th version comes out by which time I would imagine the iPad will be very light, have very long battery life, very high quality screen, noticeably faster processor. But I really don't see why people buy a new iPad each time a new version comes out. Most of the upgrades are very small and incremental. Apple deliberately holds back big changes because they need to advertise something new each time they release a new one.

For example, if Apple brought a new iPad on to the market with only one change, let's say, a superior camera, there will be a flock going off and buying the new one even though most will never use the camera. Who uses an iPAd to take pictures? Its so awkward. Lot of the new iPad purchases are irrational.

I wish to comment here as as another well know user stated... About the word irrational ....... No one is irrational it is there choice no different than buying a new computer , a new car or any personal item "it is their decision" and in most cases based on their needs. Apple does not as quoted hold back changes as every thing you receive to day has been in planning mode for some 3 years if not more. One must realise many technologies are not available for future upgrades as

1 they don't exist or
2 under development or
3 to expensive to develop.
SSD is a prime example even Samsung could not compete on price in the so called ultra book arena why because the sheer cost of manufacturing a similar product as Apple was out of reach.

I am passionate about Apple always have been since 1977 when I purchased my first computer however at the same time I pick what upgrades I want based on my needs and what I can afford not because some says you need to do this....I believe what you don't know is those users buying new product in most cases are new users. Our stores whom sell iPads estimate 70% of buyers were new users and that in my opinion is most likely accurate.

I use my iPad 7/24 I use my MacBook 2008 model once maybe a month and in most cases to check for updates. Every iOS device I own is synced via wifi and then back up not once but twice to a NAS and attached HD I have no reason to upgrade the MacBook and frankly no reason to upgrade the iPad 3 or 3 iPhones not to mention 2 Apple TV.

The iPad 3 does every thing that I want it to including running a Apple consulting business including invoicing(quicksale) logging onto computer sites to perform support (logmein) administrating 3 forums plus moderating 3 others in our group, banking reading the latest news , gaming, reading books, reading 10 newspapers, remote control my entertainment system, watching movies on my NAS server and when I want to also mirror the iPad to Apple TV and not to mention responding to some 50 plus emails a day

In summary every one uses iPads differently that is what makes the product so exciting. It does not matter how young you are or if you are a matured 90 year old the iPad brings pleasure. Steve without question delivered a product for the masses not just a few people whom want to play games...

So will I buy the next iPad.... Maybe and if I do will keep my iPad 3 for my lovely partner or buy her a a mini.

That is my two cents worth from Australia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

karatebacon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded from the 2 to the 4 and don't regret the decision. (Had a Nexus 7 to hold me over for awhile between the time) Two years from now maybe I'll look into another one but I'm content for now.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had an Ipad since 1, upgraded to 3 last March. I find that I can do most everything except Photo RAW processing (have custom very fast Win machine built for Photoshop and Lightroom) and occasional more complicated spread sheets.

First I can carry it in a very light Rickshaw Ipad bag along with the small light Apple BT keyboard if I wish (and all my personal things--MUCH lighter and smaller than a laptop). I hate sitting in front of a monitor at a desk or even using my laptop and have done a lot of research to find combos of apps to do most anything I want to do. i can work or research OR just enjoy anywhere from comfortable chair to car to coffee shop, library, and wonderful for travel with camera gear, etc. Love my Ipad and its totally changed how I use a computer. I will upgrade again for more storage, faster processor and thinner/lighter. Until then the 3 is okay in combo with Dropbox and apps that just work. I've learned to move from app to app quickly, cut and pastes, pdfs, embedded graphics, using handwriting with Jot for annotations, notes, etc. Then there is using it mirrored with ATV too.....

There's very little I can't do with it and it certainly is a lot more convenient to use, love touch and type, handwriting. I can only see tablets getting better and better, faster, lighter--and those will be reasons I upgrade in the future.

BTW, I kept my Ipad 1, wiped it and now use it as dedicated music device to replace my old Touch. Right now it is using TuneIn app for local NPR station paired with BT speakers but I can easily switch to own music or more likely my subscription music--Rhapsody, Pandora or Songza. I download music from Rhapsody to play in my car (stream in husband's car with grandfathered unlimited data on Iphone for now) snd it slips beside my seat and is easier to use than the Touch for choosing music (for me--I can see it more easily LOL).

Diane B

Last edited:

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score

On my Ipad.....
Surf
Banking- and paying bills.
Stocktrading-I've made about $32k realized gains in my trading account so far this year. Also for tweaking of my 401k,Roth,regular savings,investments,etc.
Reading- and audiobooks,podcast
Flight listing while travel- I'm an airline employee and can create my own boarding passes anywhere with my ipad on almost any airline in the world.
Writing a Scifi novel.
Watching TV on slingplayer- I don't own a tv.
Watching movies- Netflix,Hulu,Vudu,Itunes rental.
Games- currently playing GOF2 HD and playing chess here in Tulsa with my mom on her ipad in Virginia.(She's 90yrs. old)
Photo editing
Weather radar
Paying bills
Video phone/phone
Online shopping- Over 95% of everything I purchase is online mostly on Amazon.
That's all I can think of right now.

My Ipad 1 is the $30/month AT&T grandfathered unlimited and upgraded to the Ipad 4 32gig LTE and still $30/mo unlimited.
Also own an Ipad 3 wifi for around the house.
So I have three Ipads.
I'm also single,home paid off,no car payment,never married/divorce,no kids,zero debt and live on less than 1/4 my income.After maxing out my 401k and Roth,pay the bills,groceries,contribute to my savings,emergency fund,investments,etc.and afterwards I have money to spend on whatever.
I can afford to buy it with no problems.
I can also sell my Ipad for quite a bit on the brazilian black market if I upgrade again. See no need this year though. Don't know anyone who upgrades every time unless they can sell it for a good price I guess.

When I was in the AT&T store on black friday to upgrade my 3GS to the Iphone 5 three different people came in to pay that early out penalty to get the new iphone so I guess it's possible people upgrade every device.

Last edited:

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The cellular on the 4 is advanced enough over the 2 to make it a consideration to upgrade if you use or might use it, some people have/had only wifi and wanted to get cellular while some wanted more memory, some people want to give a friend or family member an iPad as a gift for what ever reason so donating the current one and upgrading makes sense. There may be people unhappy with their color choice, I don't think I would like black nearly as much as my white, and might not use it as much - when you look at it as much during a day as I do little things make a difference and might be the reason for an upgrade.

Are you still driving that car you had in high school/college/first job etc (if you've needed to own a car at all) or has it been upgraded? It probably still functions as it did and there isn't enough of an advance in technology to justify the upgrade if you just use it to go to work or the store. (a little extreme example, but you get the idea), upgrading or change is a very personal thing (i.e. Full sized iPad to Mini).

Most reactions