What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why an iPad if you have an iPhone?

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the ipod touch and 3g phone and as much as i liked using them i knew the ipad would be better, and when they came out tried them many times at the apple shops so knew i wanted it. When i got it i virtually stopped using my laptop and am impressed at how much i use it. Love the portability, battery life and unlike the laptop the ipad has no heating/cooling fan noise of the ****ty laptop. The only thing i regret about my ipad 1 is that 5 months after buying it the superior and cheaper ipad 2 came out.

RIP Steve Jobs 

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Odd that you paid more for iPad 1 five months before iPad 2. iPad 2 debuted at iPad 1 prices.

I actually saved on an iPad 1 for my husband when iPad 2 came out. They were clearing out iPad 1s at $100 to $200 off, so I got him one even though he'd expressed little interest in mine. Now he uses his iPad when he cooks. Since he does all the cooking, I'm glad to contribute something to his efforts, lol.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Luck of the draw I suppose. I wish now that i had waited for the iPhone 4S instead of going for the iPhone 4 but hey, patience is a virtue!

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Luck of the draw I suppose. I wish now that i had waited for the iPhone 4S instead of going for the iPhone 4 but hey, patience is a virtue!

I was going to test drive a new Android phone-tablet today, to see whether to replace my 4S, but am debating whether to hold off and see what Apple will announce soon. Decisions, decisions.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Odd that you paid more for iPad 1 five months before iPad 2. iPad 2 debuted at iPad 1 prices.

I actually saved on an iPad 1 for my husband when iPad 2 came out. They were clearing out iPad 1s at $100 to $200 off, so I got him one even though he'd expressed little interest in mine. Now he uses his iPad when he cooks. Since he does all the cooking, I'm glad to contribute something to his efforts, lol.

In Uk, ipad 1 16 gb with wifi only was £429, the ipad 2 was £399. So it was £30 cheaper despite have better processor, ram and a camera. But when i bought my ipad 1 in october there was no news for the ipad 2 release date or prices

RIP Steve Jobs 

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In Uk, ipad 1 16 gb with wifi only was £429, the ipad 2 was £399. So it was £30 cheaper despite have better processor, ram and a camera. But when i bought my ipad 1 in october there was no news for the ipad 2 release date or prices

RIP Steve Jobs 

Bummer. Sounds like you've enjoyed your iPad 1, though.

I still need a laptop, but find tablets indispensable now, too. At this point, I'm just looking for an excuse to get a new tablet!

giraffe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like iPad for reading, Also internet browsing is a lot easier than iPhone small screen.
I have iPad 1 and it is perfect for my need.
Regards, Ales

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the iPad and iPhone (whichever model you have) complement each other. You have to have both to appreciate this. Money is an issue unfortunately.
Let us know how the Android goes if you go that way!
I've heard the 5inch Galaxy Note is a killer phone/tablet. Fits in the pocket too! I'd have to play with one for awhile to make me change my apple fanaticism. Spellchecker says fanatics by the way!

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the iPad and iPhone (whichever model you have) complement each other. You have to have both to appreciate this. Money is an issue unfortunately.
Let us know how the Android goes if you go that way!

Agreed about iPhone and iPad complementing each other. That's partly why I'm hesitating. I want the 5-inch screen of the new Android device, but I'd have to trade off the iOS compatibility and other stuff.

I went from iPhone 4 to 4S figuring I could resell my 4S at full price to someone who didn't want a carrier contract even if I upgraded to the Android phone, which I was waiting for. So I'd end up even on money, or thereabouts. I passed on my 4 to my husband, whose old phone belonged in a cell phone museum. If I get a new phone now, I'll use his upgrade option for a subsidized phone via AT&T, because he never uses his upgrade.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now there's a woman with a plan! We definitely know how to change their habits. I wonder if I left my iPad in the kitchen open on my recipes whether hubby would take more interest in it. He loves it when I play BBC iPlayer, itv player and channel 4 programmes. We watch together upstairs away from the kids weird tv choices downstairs. Final Destination! Yugh! Blood and gore everywhere! Give me a soppy romance anyday

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if I left my iPad in the kitchen open on my recipes whether hubby would take more interest in it.

Worth a try if you actually want him to take more interest in your iPad. But maybe you don't want to regret having to share your iPad, lol.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hee Hee. Maybe not! This is another reason for having iPhone and iPad. If your partner has them as well. I use find my iPhone all the time. We talk to each other between the devices. The iPad is great for sitting in the car waiting for your partner to finish and the iPhone for calls, texting. But best of all. There is no need to find out how to work the new device. It's instantly familiar and that in a nutshell is one of the beauties of ios. That and iCloud and wifi synching.
IT JUST WORKS

ipaddeveloper888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont like smart phones. A phone is a phone. Its for talking to people. and I dont want to pay for the extra data transfers required. The Ipad has a nice screen for browsing or reading/typing. WIFI works just fine for me.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ipaddeveloper888 said:
I dont like smart phones. A phone is a phone. Its for talking to people. and I dont want to pay for the extra data transfers required. The Ipad has a nice screen for browsing or reading/typing. WIFI works just fine for me.

This is true!!! I use both iPhone and iPad for different things. I don't always take my iPad with me when I leave the house. I cannot text everyone on the iPad if they are not using or did not upgrade to the iOS 5 OS. Text plus is really great for sending texts via iPad for free. I use wifi at home or if I am visiting friends and tethered 3G data from my iPhone when wifi is not available.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update From NYC using iPF

Most reactions