What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why All The Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm reading this post and you guys are talking way over my head; Mrs. deckyon and Rac....but I do have a question concerning photos. I brought the camera connection kit, I haven't used it just yet but my question is: how many photos can the ipad hold, and can the photos be deleted off the ipad to make room for new ones.

dar512

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash - I use flashblock with firefox on pc and Mac. Chances are, if you picked up a virus off the web, you got it though malicious flash. So I don't miss it on the iPad.

USB - I can see why people want a USB connection now, but I bet in a year or two you won't care. Remember when floppy drives disappeared and people were outraged? Same thing. Wifi is just more convenient.

User access to file system - For a general purpose computer, this would be a deal breaker. But the iPad is not a general purpose computer. It's not intended to be. It's an appliance. Use an iPad for a while and then try to explain to me why you need to know where your files are.

Don't get me wrong. The iPad is not perfect. And I expect it to keep improving as time goes on. But don't blame it for not being something it was never meant to be.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But until Wi-Fi access is everywhere, free, and fast, we still need things like USB/SD for portable file storage.

A basic file system is all many of us want. It doesn't need to be anything like Windows, just a designated folder that I can store files on for school, work, or just traveling. I just want to be able to easily and quickly copy word documents, PDF files, etc without having to upload it to Google documents, then download it through Good Reader. Then if I modify the file on the iPad (adding notes), I can't really get that file off of there without e-mailing it to myself, then loading it up again.

A modern device that is even remotely similar to a computer should be able to function on that basic level.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just butting in to say

I LOVE SWYPE on my Fascinate....I keep trying to swype the iPad now...

dar512

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just want to be able to easily and quickly copy word documents, PDF files, etc without having to upload it to Google documents, then download it through Good Reader.
Superbike, you are working way too hard. Try this.

Open good reader on the iPad. See the wifi icon at the bottom toward the middle? Click on that. Follow the instructions. Goodreader will set up a web site. Connect to it as the instructions tell you to from your pc or Mac. Upload your file to the temporary goodreader website and now it's on your iPad.

Are you sure you need that USB?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, because that is still extra steps that shouldn't be required on a device such as this. Uploading it to Google Docs or uploading it to a website is the same thing, either way I have to take two steps to make one step of progress. We don't have Wi-Fi everywhere, especially in all the secure areas I work in, wireless devices are prohibited.

Lets take Air Video for example, I can convert the video to watch later on when I don't have Wi-Fi, which is great. But it converts it, and then stores in on my desktop. If there was any portion of an open file system, Air Video would be able to convert it and then copy it to my iPad, all one simple easy step. But no, I have to open Air Video, convert the file, connect iPad to iTunes, copy the video into my iTunes library, go to the iPad in iTunes, go to Videos, select the new video to sync, hit sync, and then it can't just copy the video, it's gotta sync the entire iTunes library.

All of that just to watch a simple video file.

In making the iPad a simple to use product, they have actually made it more difficult in many ways.

Here's my point, come early next year, the iPad is going to have some SERIOUS competition from several high quality Android based tablets. On those tablets, all I have to do to watch a video or to bring a file along with me is either plug my tablet into a USB port, or bring along my SD stick or USB stick. No conversions, no going through iTunes, no need for Wi-Fi everywhere I go, just simple.

Do I think any single Android device will outsell the iPad? Nope. But do I think eventually Android tablets will hold the majority of the market? Absolutely. Apple won't change their ways, and that's perfectly fine, if you can live within the limits they set, good for you, I choose not to live within those limits, so I'll be buying an Android tablet (still keeping my iPad though for a few apps not yet available on Android.)

Last edited:
OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm reading this post and you guys are talking way over my head; Mrs. deckyon and Rac....but I do have a question concerning photos. I brought the camera connection kit, I haven't used it just yet but my question is: how many photos can the ipad hold, and can the photos be deleted off the ipad to make room for new ones.
Just how many depends whether you have 16GB, 32GB or 64GB. Even my humble 16GB has room for lots of photos, although I don't have any music or movies loaded up.
And yes, you can delete them.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also depends the size of the photos. I know some cameras that make ~30MB photos, that's gonna fill up a 16GB iPad pretty quick.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USB - I can see why people want a USB connection now, but I bet in a year or two you won't care. Remember when floppy drives disappeared and people were outraged? Same thing. Wifi is just more convenient.

One big reason why people don't complain about the floppy disk disappearing is because of USB storage which offers more convenience and much more storage capacity. I don't see people moving from USB storage to pure WiFi solutions any time soon, especially in the workplace.

WiFi is only convenient when you have access to it. I find myself in areas all the time where I have no WiFi access. Last weekend I was visiting family. I took my Ipad so people could play around with it. My brother in law had taken a bunch of pictures over the summer and wondered if I might like a copy. I said "sure" and he handed me his USB stick. The conversation went something like this:

BIL : "Here, just copy the photos off my stick here."

Me : "Umm. My Ipad doesn't have a USB port on it."

BIL : "Well, I can pop the memory card out of the camera and you can choose the phots you want."

Me : "Umm. My Ipad doesn't have a card slot."

BIL : "Well, what does it have?"

Me : "It has WiFi. I guess that doesn't help much here because there is no WiFi access in the house. It would be tough even then because you don't have Itunes anywhere."

BIL : "How much did you pay for that thing??"

Me : "Maybe you can just burn me a disk and send it in the mail."

dar512

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, because that is still extra steps that shouldn't be required on a device such as this. Uploading it to Google Docs or uploading it to a website is the same thing, either way I have to take two steps to make one step of progress.
I can tell that you didn't try it. There is only one step. When you follow the instructions, the web site is on your ipad. Only one copy is involved - directly from your pc to your ipad. Using a usb stick, you would need two copies. pc to usb then usb to device.

As I said above, there will be some temporary turbulence as the dominant technology changes. It will take time to tell if Apple/Jobs bet correctly.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, because that is still extra steps that shouldn't be required on a device such as this. Uploading it to Google Docs or uploading it to a website is the same thing, either way I have to take two steps to make one step of progress.
I can tell that you didn't try it. There is only one step. When you follow the instructions, the web site is on your ipad. Only one copy is involved - directly from your pc to your ipad. Using a usb stick, you would need two copies. pc to usb then usb to device.

As I said above, there will be some temporary turbulence as the dominant technology changes. It will take time to tell if Apple/Jobs bet correctly.

Fair enough, that seems to work ok for document files.

Now what about video files? Or any files that can't be opened in Good Reader?

Or what if I want to add notes to those files? Then what? No way to modify files in GoodReader.

dar512

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see people moving from USB storage to pure WiFi solutions any time soon, especially in the workplace.
The office where I work just put in wifi everywhere. It's true I work for a high-tech company, but it shows which way the wind is blowing.

WiFi is only convenient when you have access to it. I find myself in areas all the time where I have no WiFi access. Last weekend I was visiting family. I took my Ipad so people could play around with it. My brother in law had taken a bunch of pictures over the summer and wondered if I might like a copy. I said "sure" and he handed me his USB stick. The conversation went something like this:
As I said above, I think Apple may be a bit ahead of the curve here. Next year or the one after I think the scenario will play out differently.

You are probably a good candidate for the camera connection doo-dad.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The office where I work just put in wifi everywhere. It's true I work for a high-tech company, but it shows which way the wind is blowing.

I also work for a high tech company. We have had wireless in our offices for years now, but out on the shop floor wireless is a nightmare. The same holds true for production environments in general. Wireless just doesn't work well in areas with (a) lots of metal (b) high ceilings and (c) lots of EM interference. Then again, if I showed up in a production environment with an Ipad I would probably never live down the shame!

dar512

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fair enough, that seems to work ok for document files.

Now what about video files? Or any files that can't be opened in Good Reader?

Or what if I want to add notes to those files? Then what? No way to modify files in GoodReader.
Right. That's the part where the iPad still isn't quite there. While more apps are doing this (I notice that SplashMoney handles import & export this way), it would be better if this sort of thing were in the OS. If it were would you still want thumb drive access?

Currently, I'm doing those sorts of things with itunes and haven't experienced any particular pain in going this route, but I concede that approach will not always be convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts