What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why has the iPad been so successful?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Given the failure of tablet computers to achieve success over many years why has the iPad sold so well?

My thoughts are:-

The Apple brand
The iPod/iPhone heritage
Compactness, even though there are complaints about weight
Instant start, from hibernation at least

On the negative side:-

No SD card slot
No printer access
No access to file system
Many web pages aren't suited to touch navigation
Being forced to use the App Store to buy and instal apps

grin.van

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because its Apple. And just like with the Iphone, they are successful. Mostly because of their great marketing and amazing Ios, that is pretty much flawless.(with the functions it has)

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Because its Apple. And just like with the Iphone, they are successful. Mostly because of their great marketing and amazing Ios, that is pretty much flawless.(with the functions it has)

That's what I meant by iPod heritage. I think that it is a major factor in the success of the iPad.

Of course this heritage is undoubtedly behind some of the shortcomings. The iPad's larger screen removes some of the constraints the affect the iPhone and IPod.

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the negative side:-

No SD card slot
No printer access
No access to file system
Many web pages aren't suited to touch navigation
Being forced to use the App Store to buy and instal apps

Negative is in the eye of the beholder! Believe it or not, there are people who actually did research the product BEFORE they bought it and knew fully well what the iPad could and could not do and bought it because it suited their needs/wants just as it is.

Personally, I don't see any of those things you mentioned as being a negative attribute of the iPad. For the same reason, I do not feel the need to jailbreak my iPad either.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I bought my iPad because of what it could do right out of the box, not for what I wanted it to do, thought it would be able to do or what I could make it do by doing an end run around the iOS.

Its OK to like the iPad just the way Apple designed it!

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
???:70755 said:
Negative is in the eye of the beholder! Believe it or not, there are people who actually did research the product BEFORE they bought it and knew fully well what the iPad could and could not do and bought it because it suited their needs/wants just as it.

I went in with my eyes open but these are still things that I see as shortcomings.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went in with my eyes open but these are still things that I see as shortcomings.
But if all those things are so important to you, then why didn't you buy a laptop or netbook instead of an iPad?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No SD card slot, meh, who cares?
No printing? That's coming in November.
No file system? It's not a computer, doesn't need a file system (but I agree it might be useful to some people)
Websites not good with touch? I haven't found one yet, what sites are you talking about?
I like the app store. Tons of great apps!

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of the negatives you listed can easily be remedied with jailbreaking. Using the camera connection kit you can easily transfer files using ifile. I wouldn't have my iPad any other way!

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He forgot to mention battery life. No laptop comes close.

The reason that prevous tablets failed is because they were running Windows. Apple built the iPad with ios in mind.

It boggles the mind when people who don't like the device take the time to join this forum and critize the device. You would think they had better things to do?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It boggles the mind when people who don't like the device take the time to join this forum and critize the device. You would think they had better things to do?
They do have better things to do... like jailbreak their iPad in order to get these "must have" features then post all of their subsequent problems in the Hacking section when they can't figure out where their Cydia apps went when they install the latest iOS then complain about how long it is taking Spirit to come out with another FREE jailbreak for the new iOS so they can get their "must have" features back... and so the cycle continues!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is it popular?

It's so thin compared to all those slabs before it...
And the graphics are so quick it makes the touch interface shine.
Any demonstration is a jaw dropper. I must have sold a dozen people on it...:p

(Guess what! I'm writing this on my PC toaster):p

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
He forgot to mention battery life. No laptop comes close.

The reason that prevous tablets failed is because they were running Windows. Apple built the iPad with ios in mind.

You absolutely correct on battery life. It is one of THE reasons I decided to get an iPad.
As for why did I bother even though I percieved some shortcomings?
The iPad has enough appeal to get me to part my my money. I can leave in on the coffee table access the web at a moment's notice AND it goes for days without recharging.
I do get a little frustrated that I still have to fire up my notebook to print something out or save an email attachment though.
I think that you are over-reacting to my negative comments by the way. Overall I am quite positive about the iPad, these are just some things that Ithink could be improved.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Price and portability - and marketing. I think people would tolerate less battery life. The old Tablet PCs had many advantages over the iPad, but they were $3000. Some were more portable, but most were still bulky and heavy compared to the iPad.

I have been a huge fan of the Tablet PC platform since the first generations, but its marketing was almost completely non-existent and the price was WAAAAYY to high for mass adoption. The technology just wasnt ready yet.

broganmc

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Have you seen the commercials running during football this weekend? Apple sure knows how to market.

The reason the iPad found a home in my 2 netbook, 2 17" laptop life is that it's that sweet spot device. Bigger than a PocketPC yet still mobile enough to be easy to whip out on a whim.

In future I'll still travel with a netbook but that'll stay in my backpack or back at the hotel while the iPad can live in my purse.

Most reactions

Latest posts