What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why All The Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OMG... back to FLASH argument again? hahaha Talk about beating a dead horse. It is already far easier to avoid flash, the memory and resource sucking pig that it is, today than it was in 2007 when the iPhone came out. The same chant back then: "Apple will HAVE to give in!" Uh, didn't happen. Sure ain't gonna happen now.

Michael

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Swype is an android app that allows for much faster typing on touch screens. You basically drag your finger to each of the letters instead of tapping them. The app learns as you do this and eventually you can swype words with very small gestures making writing extremely fast. It sounds really awkward but is becomes extremely easy to the point where you could swype what ive wrote in this paragraph extremely fast without even having to look at what your swyping.

You know not everybody finds Swype to be all that and a bag of chips. I tried Swype, even took the tutorial on it. No matter what I did I couldn't get that thing to work for me.

And I'm not the only one, I've seen many people who say Swype doesn't work for them either. Your description may be accurate for you but that doesn't mean it works well for everyone.

Another thing. Swype is available on some Android phones but the majority of people running it are in a test beta group. It's not like you can just go into the market and get it.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Swype is an android app that allows for much faster typing on touch screens. You basically drag your finger to each of the letters instead of tapping them. The app learns as you do this and eventually you can swype words with very small gestures making writing extremely fast. It sounds really awkward but is becomes extremely easy to the point where you could swype what ive wrote in this paragraph extremely fast without even having to look at what your swyping.

You know not everybody finds Swype to be all that and a bag of chips. I tried Swype, even took the tutorial on it. No matter what I did I couldn't get that thing to work for me.

And I'm not the only one, I've seen many people who say Swype doesn't work for them either. Your description may be accurate for you but that doesn't mean it works well for everyone.

Another thing. Swype is available on some Android phones but the majority of people running it are in a test beta group. It's not like you can just go into the market and get it.

There are numerous videos on YouTube and I think pretty much it's a neck & neck race as far as speed goes....... It just detracts from the simplicity of a device...another thing to learn how to use.;)

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used Swype on Android... And a Swype-like app I once had on my iPhone. Maybe I spent too many years with Palm devices but for some reason I felt I was using Graffiti again. Or maybe I am just too used to iPhone keyboard. But it was not really for me. I do think I could have adjusted if that is all there was. But auto-correct on the iPhone/iPad I seem to have good success with...

I would have a lot more success with iOS's auto correct if it wasn't so danged stubborn. It should learn faster, and smarter. I hate that it still tries to correct words I have told it not to MANY times already. And I don't like that it can really change the entire spelling of a word so if you don't catch it you have to retype it all. It should have an easy popup that lets the user pick another word.

Now on the iPad, with its much larger on-screen keyboard, I don't think it would be efficient to be sliding around that much for Swype. But OTOH it might work even better.

Either way it would be nice to be able to choose our input method. The Swype-like app I had on my iPhone was pretty much handicapped because you had to copy and paste what you typed back into the app you wanted it in. Not a good solution.

Michael

RoadPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The same chant back then: "Apple will HAVE to give in!" Uh, didn't happen. Sure ain't gonna happen now.
Apparently, you've either forgotten about or are too young to know about IBM's micro channel architecture that the tech behemoth tried to force down the throats of consumers and competitors during the mid to late 1980's. If so, I suggest you go bone up on the history of IBM and MCA.

Suffice it to say, it was the same attitude that eventually forced IBM out of the PC hardware market.

There's no such thing as "too big to fail" when it comes to *any* company, including Apple.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The same chant back then: "Apple will HAVE to give in!" Uh, didn't happen. Sure ain't gonna happen now.
Apparently, you've either forgotten about or are too young to know about IBM's micro channel architecture that the tech behemoth tried to force down the throats of consumers and competitors during the mid to late 1980's. If so, I suggest you go bone up on the history of IBM and MCA.

Suffice it to say, it was the same attitude that eventually forced IBM out of the PC hardware market.

There's no such thing as "too big to fail" when it comes to *any* company, including Apple.

It all comes down to the bottom line...money. Apple is going to take the hit for flash and boast battery life. Android is going to allow you to flash to your hearts content(as long as you have battery). So far the iDevice is selling like hotcakes so they won't be changing until sales take a hit.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score

that brings back some really bad memorys of useing DOS as a operating system ..

Mossi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since you so graciously consented to answering questions for me (being a fellow Kentuckian and all) ...... Here's one: how do I send attachments by email? When I forward something, the attachment is no longer attached. I DoTell it to.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really think we need to redo the labels given by number of posts. Make the first 50-100 to show Visitor or Needing Enlightment. We see so many people here with less than 10 posts that are just here to gripe about what the iPad does not have. They ignore that it does not have the failure rate of the other tablets. It does not have the vulnerabilities of an open source system. It does not get rated in comparison to the standard; It is the standard. And so many of the remarks are of the order of "Wait til my big brother Android beats you up".

And every argument starts with "The iPad does not support Flash", before getting into iTunes, no USB, etc. The fact is that the iPad is a wonder of technology. No other electronics device has had this impact so quickly coming onto the market. The reason for this is that Steve Jobs is a genious at knowing when to bring out products. He is a visionary, and they are rare. Without him, Apple came close to closing shop. He will eventually be gone, and when that happens, it is hoped that he will have the people in place to continue his work. If not, Apple will just be another computer company.

All this complaining is worthless. A few whiners are not going to change Apple's plans. While they are bringing out the iPad 2, they are planning the iPad 5 or 6. It takes years to bring a product like this to production. The only things that they change is minor additions/deletions to match the market forces. If the competiton had ben quicker to respong, there might have been a few gee whiz gadgets to woo the public. Since they have seen little competition, they will stick with a few basic upgrades to be safe. Gee Whiz is riskier, but gets attention. Do not forget that Apple has always been an early manufacturer to delete old technology. No Macintosh had 5.25" floppies, and the iMac was the first to drop 3.5" floppies for optical drives. Now it looks like within the year, they will drop optical drives on the Macbook series. Why not, since it would be easy enough to go with SD or USB if a backup copy of the system is needed. We may see networked optical drives being used instead of each machine having one.

When Jobs and Apple decide to add or delete a device, it is always a good idea to think outside the box. You may think you need a device, but find that 2-3 years later, it is rarely used. I am hearing more and more about who is getting away from flash, and little about those who are adding flash. All technology is fleeting. OSX introduced the dock to the mac experience, but now it is be supplemented by the app feel. More than the look, is how Lion will allow us to add and delete programs. The app system developed for the iPhone is so simple, it will greatly improve the experience on all computers. Eventually you will probably see it copied on all systems to some degree.

Dragoro

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Swype is out of beta, anyone can get it. And I dont use it either, I prefer typing, but theres a crap load of people that swear by it.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Swype is out of beta, anyone can get it. And I dont use it either, I prefer typing, but theres a crap load of people that swear by it.

My wife, who is about the least techie person I know, has Swype on her Fascinate and thinks it is just about the greatest thing she has seen. Then again, before this she was pecking on a soft keyboard with a stylus!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

OK that takes the cake as far as meaningless comparisons are concerned. MCA was a FAILURE. It NEVER caught on in any meaningful way. How that relates to the iPad--very much a success--is beyond me. And then the leap that MCA forced IBM out of the market? Uh no, the "little" deal letting Microsoft sell what was essentially PC-DOS to anyone else as MS-DOS was what did it. Stupid IBM wasn't thinking past their nose and thought "BASIC" was the only thing needing protection.

Here's a better comparison: when Apple got rid of the floppy (some) people whined as if the world was coming to an end. How many computers come with floppy drives today? In a few years the same will be said about flash.

Some of you are late to the party and it shows. If lack of flash was going to hurt iOS it would have happened already due to the iPhone and to an extent iPod Touch. There weren't even true installable apps when that came out--just "web apps." Yet it was a success--without flash. Apple is hardly risking much due to flash, or lack of.

Michael

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Really? Link please.

If anyone could get it legally then it would be in the Android Market. I have no doubt there are places to get it but I just checked and it is not available in the Android Market.

Dragoro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it was announced out of beta on the droidforums.net anyways. I never bothered to actually check cuase i dont use it. Didnt see any reason not to believe em though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts