What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why All The Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[

I agree. I can understand why some people complain about the closed nature of iOS and the App Store but in the end Apple just wants to make sure the end user gets the best experience with their iPad hence the curated App Store and closed iOS platform. If the App Store was open and apps were not reviewed before being on the App Store, you can see things could be much messier for apps that don't work properly and some apps, like what is technically possible on the Google Android Marketplace; apps that do stuff that they shouldn't be doing. I can see where people become overwhelmed and annoyed at Apple's restrictions - and certainly, certain decisions by Apple have been bad ones and they've corrected it when they realise they were in the wrong - like an app that defamed political figures; Apple employees have to stick by the rules and had to reject the app - but Apple later realised they did not cover that area which is fine and subsequently modified their terms for exception of political figures. Same is with an app that did WiFi syncing; I don't think Apple wants a developer to control WiFi syncing when its the concern of data and the syncing to the iTunes software; so this is why Apple probably rejected the app when some developer submitted it for approval. Jobs has stated at an interview at AllThingsD that "we're working on it" (referring to WiFi syncing) so it's probably going to come in the forseeable future.

In regards to Flash I have to agree with what you said about accessing the Honda website as an example and finding out that the iPad can't view the important Flash content on that website. But again, I can understand why Apple doesn't have it on it's platform (and I'm not going to repeat and go into "why" - we all know Apple's case on the exclusion of Flash from it's platform). Sure, there can be some viable options to get Flash on it's platform; but I dont think Jobs would allow a half baked solution; Apple perfects everything down to the simplest thing and if Flash causes complications to the user experience, we know fair well Apple ain't going to have it on iOS. The exclusion of Flash is a limitation, sure, but you can say the availability of video content in native HTML5 format on many websites has certainly improved recently since the iPad can and is used to surf the web like on a computer. But like with the Honda website, it's certainly an annoying limitation of the iPad, though. You can say it's a compromise and Apple probably realises this.

Someone has probably got a counter-argument to all I have said above and may think I'm a "fanboy" that believes whatever Apple says; but honestly, don't take it all too seriously. What Apple is doing works for most people that use their iPad (as the quoted post a user says above) and a lot of people are satisfied with their iPad.

This isn't a counter argument, I just want to point out that there are a lot of people who use Android who wish Google would do more overseeing of the Market itself. There are tons of totally junk apps in there and it can be tricky to weed out the good stuff from the bad.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This isn't a counter argument, I just want to point out that there are a lot of people who use Android who wish Google would do more overseeing of the Market itself. There are tons of totally junk apps in there and it can be tricky to weed out the good stuff from the bad.

That counter argument to that is that many (most?) of us are quite happy to shoulder the responsibility of filtering out the garbage apps ourselves in exchange for freedom of choice. It's not that hard to do and most of us reject the notion of the "Nanny State" for similar reasons.

I have mentioned this before, the original Apple II was completely open both physically and in software terms. The closed mentality started with the first Mac.

Last edited:

BenjaminArnason

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Por China,
now I know how it feels not to be free to use the internet how I want.
And BTW I was SCREWED in the app store the other day spending 20$ on an app that didnt work so the apps are not garantead.
The apps in the app store never have any feedbacks from peepz and if you look them up you newer find any comparison online.
And the no flash thing!? And hey you guys remember the good old days when you could download, stream and do what ever you want online!
**** it! Im jail braiking mine.
And hey, dont you think its a litle weerd how involved the apple teem is on all apple forums? maby Its just me but it bothers me they are reading this.

Writen on my humancentIpad
Benjamin

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And BTW I was SCREWED in the app store the other day spending 20$ on an app that didnt work so the apps are not garantead.

Contact Apple and tell them the app misrepresents what it can do and they will refund your money.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Superbike81, you really just need to go buy an android tablet. Don't torture yourself.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also work for a high tech company. We have had wireless in our offices for years now, but out on the shop floor wireless is a nightmare. The same holds true for production environments in general. Wireless just doesn't work well in areas with (a) lots of metal (b) high ceilings and (c) lots of EM interference. Then again, if I showed up in a production environment with an Ipad I would probably never live down the shame!

We have deployed over 20,000 iPads on factory floors all over the world. Your concerns are unfounded

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Having played a little in the Android space I agree that sorting out the good apps from the rubbish is a chore. The ratings and download count in Android Market are some sort of guide.

I don't think that just because an iPad app passes Apple's standards and makes it into the AppStore that it is a quality offering. The ratings on the AppStore seem to attract fewer responses for some reason.

This is where the various camps bragging about the number of apps available is a bit silly. Of thousands of apps listed only a select few are worthwhile.

For the iPad the apps that I actually value and use iGoodReader, eWallet, FileBrowser, Numbers, Pages, SplashTop and Kindle.

On my Samsung Galxay SII phone the list includes CoPilot Live, eWallet Go, CamCard, Sprite Backup and Astro File Manager.

I have downloaded quite a few worthless apps for both the iPad and the Galaxy.

Chuamt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Android is pure rubbish n immature to be even stable. If u want android, get it yourself it ,no one is stopping u. Does android has a spell check, your spellings are horrendous .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts