What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's made the jump from 1st gen to 3rd gen?

Nightstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think your 3/4G speeds must be a great deal faster over in the USA than here in the UK, where IME they can be abysmal unless your right close to the source, indeed there are still parts of the UK where your'e unable to get a signal at all..lol Where I live out in the sticks in Herefordshire, I sometimes have to go outside to get a usable signal on my mobile phone, yet a mile up the road and its full strength.

Re. having the cash back in your wallet, one could always opt for a refund if your still inside Apples 2 weeks grace period. ;-)

You too? In Southern California. There are areas where you have no or very weak cell coverage and that's in some small town near the coast!

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lunar said:
I think your 3/4G speeds must be a great deal faster over in the USA than here in the UK, where IME they can be abysmal unless your right close to the source, indeed there are still parts of the UK where your'e unable to get a signal at all..lol Where I live out in the sticks in Herefordshire, I sometimes have to go outside to get a usable signal on my mobile phone, yet a mile up the road and its full strength.

Re. having the cash back in your wallet, one could always opt for a refund if your still inside Apples 2 weeks grace period. ;-)

3G and 4G data service in the states is hit or miss. For the most part it works well where available and is definitely usable. I never did test its speed specifically yet would guess its in the 250kbps at best average etc.

LTE service, I am amazed with. Yesterday sitting at my daughters soccer game at 2-3 bars reception, a speedtest.net reflected 18mbps download and 17.5mbps upload. Even within my house at low reception I average over 10/10mbps. I've read reports as high as 40 down and 20 up on Verizon...
Not sure how long that will last however. I'm sure once it is saturated with capable devices we will see a significant decrease in throughput etc. JMHO of course.

As for having the cash back in my wallet,, my reference was only to imply it would only be better if free.. :)

Cheers

Gayle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went from the original iPad to the new iPad and could not be happier. :eek: Still love my original too and will never get rid of it--still works great.

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd....each upgrade was worth it....for me the display is the biggest upgrade from both ...I do must of my iPad stuff browsing and the tight text rocks.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

L

Lunar

3G and 4G data service in the states is hit or miss. For the most part it works well where available and is definitely usable. I never did test its speed specifically yet would guess its in the 250kbps at best average etc.

LTE service, I am amazed with. Yesterday sitting at my daughters soccer game at 2-3 bars reception, a speedtest.net reflected 18mbps download and 17.5mbps upload. Even within my house at low reception I average over 10/10mbps. I've read reports as high as 40 down and 20 up on Verizon...
Not sure how long that will last however. I'm sure once it is saturated with capable devices we will see a significant decrease in throughput etc. JMHO of course.

As for having the cash back in my wallet,, my reference was only to imply it would only be better if free.. :)

Cheers

Thanks for that interesting insight, certainly faster than here anyway, infact that connection at your soccer game is as fast as my main net connection which is around 17/18mbps. As for having a iPad for free...lol yes I think we would all be happy with that. I'm in my late sixties, 68 actually, and having had a few heart attacks in the past, I've changed, in that anything I really fancy now, I just go buy it, thankfully I can afford it, as TBH if you haven't any money by the time your my age it's unlikely your'll ever have any..lol. For my Birthday recently I treated myself to a brand new BMW 3 series car, and I love it as I still do a fair bit of driving. I don't like flying so when the wife and I go to Italy or Spain for a holiday... we drive down.. mad.. but it's fun, and why should we leave it to the kids, there okay anyway thankfully.

In my book your never to old to enjoy toys...and that includes computers and iPads..lol My wife now uses my previous iPad 1 and she's having lots of fun with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also did the jump from first to third gen. It is a huge jump. I do wonder how much of the jump was present in the iPad 2. I do like the full 1 gb ram on the third gen. Certainly the multi tasking is much better.

Initially I wanted to trade my new third gen for the iPad 2. But after a few days, I realized the higher resolution is easier on my middle aged eyes. I can see the pixels on older iPads, but didn't realize until now.

The battery life is a little less, but much longer than on my Android tablet. I do wish there is a higher capacity charger to charge the larger battery.

lynngator

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just upgraded from the original to the "new" iPad. So far I find the sound not as good and the brightness to be an issue. And the wonderful retina display hasn't impressed me thus far. It also took 5 hours to charge fro 60 to 100% The Apple folks tell me to keep trying and there is nothing I can do about brightness. I'm sad -- loved my 1st one so much.

jack1452

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I made the jump... for about 24 hours.

I have a 1st gen 64GB Wi-Fi iPad I use for reading, apps and mobile computing. I bought the new 64GB Wi-Fi iPad for the retina display but noticed more eye strain reading on it. I have some eye conditions: dry eyes, light sensitivity, lots of floaters and mono-vision from cataract surgery. The glare from the book margins and bright e-paper made my floaters much more noticeable and caused problems with contrast so ghosting was an issue. I decreased the brightness significantly, changed font size/style and tried sepia and night modes which helped but it wasn't something I wanted to do all the time.

I compared the old and new side by side; read and went though all my favorite apps, but in the end I couldn't justify keeping it since I bought it primarily for reading so I reluctantly returned it. The increased speed and color display were great, my iPad is now more noticeably slow.

Last edited:

cptkremmen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have gone from 1st gen to 3rd gen.

Was very happy with my 1st gen.

3rd gen is noticeably faster and of course the screen is a much better resolution. Not really used the camera much.

I think it is worth it, my wife is happy as she has my old gen 1 ipad. Offered to buy her a new one but she said she was quite happy with the 1st gen.

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First off, WELCOME to me! :)

I just went from a Gen1 to a new iPad. I've had the Gen1 since its release way back when. I couldn't be happier with my Gen1. I literally use it every night on the couch to browse the web. My first Gen was a 32GB 3G.

My new iPad is a 16GB 4G. I had a hard time buying one with less memory but because I never went over 8GB on my old one I figured I should save the money and get a 16GB.

My impressions:
The screen is not as impressive as I thought it would have been when it comes to sharpness. Holding the two tablets side by side sharpness is very comparable when looking at high def photos. On the other hand with tiny text, the difference is noticeable. The color difference however when looking at photos is extremely noticeable. Awesome upgrade in color saturation, skin tones, and blacks. But not like going from an iPhone 3 to 4 IMO.

The increase in speed in astounding. Worth the price in upgrade alone for me. I hate slow devices, and now my iPad1 seems slow to me.

In regards to size and weight, I haven't noticed a difference. Same with any heat issues, I haven't noticed anything. And I've pushed it already quite a bit using iMovie.

Cool forum, you guys will see me around.

Webalistic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.webalistic.com
yup, went from 1 to 3 too.
It's ok. like that there is a bit more speed (cpu) and memory (browsers not crashing so quickly because memory is full)
I miss having a flat side.. after using the 1pad for nearly 2 years you get used to holding it a certain way. No problem though.
Screen is ok. But it also enables (like in the google maps app) for smaller texts to become technically legible. Fuzzy ones you ignore, now you're straining to read.
I now have 2 cameras... no idea what to do with them (don't do video, and I have a proper full frame DSLR for stills). But I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point in the future. Besides I have no friends I can do the facetime thing with (or would want to ;-) )

Took an evening and a morning to get everything transferred from the 1 to the 3. Man... why doesn't apple make it easier for people to waste money on their new gadgets.
After restore I had to type in all passwords again (ok, I can get that), had to redownload about 30 missing apps, had to lookup and resync my music, find and enter my podcast feeds again, etc. At every sync stuff seemed to disappear or appear again. But It's pretty muuch all back again. Only my videos and music don't have thumbnail previews. I think in their efforts to protect the money stream they've over complicated things a bit.

Also noticed that the outside dimensions are smaller so it will just drop out of anything made for the 1pad :) Also means I need to buy all that stuff again.. bugger :-/ (And yes, I knew that)

But, I'm up and running and quite happy with it so far. Now I don't intend to harm it intentionally, but my 1pad survived a bouncy drop down a flight of stairs and a 1m drop on the corner a few weeks back. I hope this one lasts me the next 2 years as well.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I jumped from ipad1 to iPad.

Rehomed ipad1 to my son who is enjoying it. I suspect though I will be making another new purchase because we both want FaceTime. I will rehome ipad1 again if I make the second iPad purchase.

The jump was planned as I took a pass on ipad2 primarily because of the poor camera quality. New iPad camera has proved no comparison to ipad2 camera.

Most say they don't place much emphasis on camera quality due to form factor of iPad. Understandable but still for a device at this price point I feel ipad2 camera was a major disappointment. Personally I do use camera function alot so am happy now!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I went from iPad first gen to ipad third gen and I'm happy.

See how much you can get for the old ipad selling it, then also I dont know if you have RadioShack in the UK but you may want to check radioshack to see what they would give you with their trade in program.

Most reactions

Latest posts