What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's made the jump from 1st gen to 3rd gen?

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And is it worth it?

It's either a week away in summer, or an iPad 3!

So from those of you that made the jump, how satisfied are you?

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have gone from the 1 to 3.

I am more than happy with mine. Im glad ive missed the 2nd gen as i would probably would have been a little dissapointed going from 2 to 3.

My iPad 1 was sort of getting sluggish, even when typing sentances the keyboard clicks were off sync with me if you get what i mean. And it was crashing alot on memory hungry games.

I knew what i was purchasing and im glad ive got
It now. Suprised how much i use the Camera.

OP
M

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's exactly what is happening with mine, but at the same time I'm not sure I can justify it yet when I know I've still got an iPad right I front of me that (apart from the quirks you mentioned) works fine.
I know that when I see one for the first time I'll probably want it.

Also what azhepcat said sounds like a tempting idea!
I have the 32gb wifi version, and it's in gread condition... But I can imagine I wouldn't get much for it as its considered 'old'

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Love it! So happy with the 3rd generation:) My original iPad is still in near perfect condition and I have no plans on getting rid of it either. My six year old has pretty much claimed it as his ;)

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I had an iPad 1 I'd get a iPad 3..but I have a iPad 2 so I'm not going to get a iPad 3 lol

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love love love it! So glad I made the move. My iPad 1 was also getting sluggish and key taps was slow...can't believe how quick the 3 is in comparison....well worth the upgrade!

Big samm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm from the 1st iPad 3G 32gb, and bought the 3rd gen same model and couldn't be happier... Now my first iPad is collecting dust in my home office.

Max Death

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Made the jump to the new IPad, happy as hell. The display is fantastic. Went from a 16 gig IPad 1 to a 64 gig new IPad. Found out I use the IPad more then I expected. When I bought the IPad 1 wife thought she had no use for one. Now I can't tear it from her
hands. Worried I may have to buy her a new IPad and the old one may go to the grand kids. Lol

L

Lunar

I went from a 1st gen iPad 64gb/3g to the iPad3 64gb/4G My wife wanted my iPad 1 so we needed another anyway. She was always on it, and I often had to prise it from her when I needed it...lol Otherwise I may not have bothered upgrading for a while. I think the upgrade from the 1 to the 3 is maybe worthwhile, though if one already has a gen 1 and especially if you have a iPad2 I certainly would'nt say the iPad 3 is a must have, as the earlier iPads are still very good, even the iPad1 is still a pretty effective and useful device to own.

One of the main differences I noticed quickly, was how much quicker web pages load over the iPad1, the screen which has already been covered numerious times in other threads is obviously better, more detailed, sharper text, which is better for browsing and reading books etc. But the original iPads screens were'nt that bad anyway, they were actually pretty good and still are!. Sound is a little better too when compared to the iPad 1, though about the same as the ipad2 which is to be expected.

I think the new screen is good and obviously better, but not a big 'WOW.. gotta have one of them feeling.. I think I would have been more excited if Apple had used Samsungs new Super-Oled technology, as I've no doubt that's the directon that most panels will go in the future, currently its all a matter of cost. For example I have a iPhone 4S and the wife uses a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone, and though the S2 has slightly lower resolution it's display is noticable better than my iphone4s, and of course they don't need any backlighting at all, so blacks/colours looks superb.
Just hope I live long enough to see them introduced widely on TV's I can afford...lol

My son has a 64gb iPad 2 and we have compared them, and though he says the screen is better especially on text, he reckons he cannot see too much difference on video's/films, though he did admit a blu-ray film I had ripped and installed did look noticable better, but he did say he is not bothering to upgrade again for a while, as he did'nt feel the need.

I was also hoping Apple would have increased the max memory to 128GB too, so a little disappointed they didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I made the jump too. I had the 32GB iPad1 and was maxed out in size and really wanting/needing a new iPad. I almost purchased the iPad2 but kept talking myself out of it telling myself to just wait for the iPad3 (new iPad). I'm not sure how many times I walked in to the store with intentions of buying the iPad2 and walking right back out but I am SO glad I waited ... yay for patience in this case! I feel it was way worth the wait, no regrets at all! I also went with the 64GB/4LTE service. Good luck!

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did not consider the jump to the iPad 2 yet jumped on the 3 at 1201 AM day of launch... :)

The display is nice yet the overall performance increase from iPad 1 to "the new" is significant. And if you live in an LTE environment and are a data plan user,,, huge jump - its faster than my 10mbps cable service at home...

Buttttt, I do wish I still had that $829 in my wallet.... :). Haven't brought myself to sell my mint iPad 1 32GB/3G just yet.

Cheers

L

Lunar

Did not consider the jump to the iPad 2 yet jumped on the 3 at 1201 AM day of launch... :)

The display is nice yet the overall performance increase from iPad 1 to "the new" is significant. And if you live in an LTE environment and are a data plan user,,, huge jump - its faster than my 10mbps cable service at home...

Buttttt, I do wish I still had that $829 in my wallet.... :). Haven't brought myself to sell my mint iPad 1 32GB/3G just yet.

Cheers

I think your 3/4G speeds must be a great deal faster over in the USA than here in the UK, where IME they can be abysmal unless your right close to the source, indeed there are still parts of the UK where your'e unable to get a signal at all..lol Where I live out in the sticks in Herefordshire, I sometimes have to go outside to get a usable signal on my mobile phone, yet a mile up the road and its full strength.

Re. having the cash back in your wallet, one could always opt for a refund if your still inside Apples 2 weeks grace period. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still have my iPad 1. I skipped the iPad 2. Been waiting for the third to come out.

I will keep my iPad 1. No way I could sell her! ^_^ Same as also having the original Mac Mini from 2004. Both are first of their kind and to me are collectable. Over the last two updates (IOS 4 and 5) have also noted the sluggishness of my little friend. It has survived a lot. From two major conventions to LA. Still looks and acts new after dropped it in the original Apple black case from shoulder high. It has gone on every service call since I bough it. And she has save a lot of Microsoft OS PC. The iPad 1 is no slouch still.

My iPad 1 has 64GB/AT&T 3G and has the old Unlimited AT&T Account still. Which due to AT&T slow cuts over the last year is no better than a 30 dollar standard plan at best now. The new iPad is 64GB/Verizon/LTE. Got feed up with AT&T and wanted the hotspot so went with Verizon. Was shock that I am in LTE area. Some places I have tested hit 20+! And at the house its faster than my cable!

With two now... I can have a duo screen system out in the field now when I need it! ^_^

Last edited:

ianholmes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too went from 1st to 3rd generation and couldnt be happier. The increase in speed is amazing. I don't regret the purchase one bit

Ian

Most reactions

Latest posts