What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the first to download iOS5?

phoenix180

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Darn! Looks like this might stretch into the late night hours for me then! Thank you for your responses!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does this mean I don't sync or backup my phone on iTunes anymore?

Also after updating my phone my photo album names show up but the photos aren't in them.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Once you create an iCloud account you'll be given the choice of backing up to iTunes on your computer or to iCloud...and can switch anytime.

Not sure about the photo album issue. I'd try resetting the phone. Hold down the power and home buttons until the close slider appears, turn it off and then hold the power button down again until the Apple logo appears. If that doesn't do it I'd connect it to your computer/iTunes and sync again.

Elliern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings, everyone! How long did the "restoring iPad apps" process take for you?

I probably don't have as many as most people, since I have only had my iPad2 for 2 months. But, it took about 30 minutes to restore my apps give or take a few minutes. I didn't actually time it, but I was doing several other things while the apps were being restored and also posting messages on these forums. So, based on that, I think 30 minutes is close. The entire process took just over 2 hours.

dneill2006

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes has been on "Restoring iPad Apps" for over an hour now.

My iPad though is not syncing?

Should my iPad by syncing during the "Restoring iPad Apps"?

I have about 30GB of apps on my iPad to restore.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh right,thought it was the lion update that was wanted,you just forget about the lion install its so" normal" to me now
Apologies, I finally had a moment to look at the gazillion posts on this thread today and found that I misspoke in response to your post...the Lion update (10.7.2) can be accessed using the Mac's update feature. I thought you (or perhaps someone else?) were referring to the Lion OS (which is purchased from the Mac App Store). Sorry for the confusion.

I went back and changed my post to reflect Lion 10.7.2 in case someone stumbles across it. 10.7.2 is in fact required to access iCloud services (but not required to update to iOS 5).

Phew! :eek:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes has been on "Restoring iPad Apps" for over an hour now.

My iPad though is not syncing?

Should my iPad by syncing during the "Restoring iPad Apps"?

I have about 30GB of apps on my iPad to restore.
The restore process takes a while...and I'd imagine right now a while longer since Apple's servers are so taxed. I have about 7GB's of Apps and it took about 40 minutes, but I was one of the first ones in the gate so the load probably wasn't nearly as high as it is now.

Your iPad would not be doing anything, syncing or otherwise, while the apps are being restored.

After the apps are restored your music and videos will be restored...that took even longer on my iPad w/about 40GB of music and 10GB of video.

Ultimately it appears that the restorations are coming from Apple's servers (iCloud) rather than from iTunes on the computer as they used to. So your connection/broadband speed will have a big impact on how fast all of that happens.

Hang in there!

dneill2006

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The restore process takes a while...and I'd imagine right now a while longer since Apple's servers are so taxed. I have about 7GB's of Apps and it took about 40 minutes, but I was one of the first ones in the gate so the load probably wasn't nearly as high as it is now.

Your iPad would not be doing anything, syncing or otherwise, while the apps are being restored.

After the apps are restored your music and videos will be restored...that took even longer on my iPad w/about 40GB of music and 10GB of video.

Ultimately it appears that the restorations are coming from Apple's servers (iCloud) rather than from iTunes on the computer as they used to. So your connection/broadband speed will have a big impact on how fast all of that happens.

Hang in there!

Ah right, that would explain it. Guess I'll leave it over night if necessary.

Thanks.

coachf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple needs to take some responsibility for what is going on. I'm tired of seeing that my internet connection has timed out and that I should "check my internet connection". Just tell us your getting slammed and we will understand. I would bet there are a million people out there right now trying to track down the issue with their internet and freaking out a little.

ARRGGGGGG!

trimqira

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys, I had some errors while trying to update my iPad. First the 3200 error and then the 3004. What I did I switched my usb port (luckily I have in my PC a 3.0 USB port) to 3.0 and it worked for me. Done with my iPad now trying it on iPhone. Will keep you posted.

dvx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just finished with my wife's iPhone roughly same time frame as my iPhone this afternoon but the iPad does not want to except the upgrade. Did anybody get a chance to upgrade their iPads and how many tries are necessary?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple needs to take some responsibility for what is going on. I'm tired of seeing that my internet connection has timed out and that I should "check my internet connection". Just tell us your getting slammed and we will understand. I would bet there are a million people out there right now trying to track down the issue with their internet and freaking out a little.

ARRGGGGGG!
Frustration is understandable, but quite honestly, how would Apple know where the disconnect was? If their severs are swamped and unable to respond that's one thing, but it's also quite possible it's something else and some folks may need to actually check their Internet connection. There's no way of knowing.

However you basically answered your own question. If you want something new you can't always expect to be first in line. Have some patience...there's nothing about these updates that is required for your computer or devices to keep working as they always have. The new features are nice to have, but they'll still be available tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts