What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the first to download iOS5?

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep. Crashed again. This time I had a half hour left. Going to restart my computer, and try this again.

celly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloaded (took about 45 minutes on my work ISP here in Calgary). Just going through the iPad backup stage now. :)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
who knew restoring apps wold take longer than the actual 700MB download! grrrrr!!!!!
Based on my network activity it appears that one of two things is happening...either the apps are being re-downloaded from Apple's servers or the restore is coming from iCloud...which also means a download...and explains the time. Previously they were restored from iTunes backup which of course would be much faster as that comes from your computer.

My music and video restore is about 50% done now. Depending on folk's broadband speeds and the amount of data on their iPads, this could take an hour or two.

thebytedoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It looks like it is downloading all the apps from the network before restoring them to the iDevice? Does that sound right to any of you pros?

thebytedoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Based on my network activity it appears that one of two things is happening...either the apps are being re-downloaded from Apple's servers or the restore is coming from iCloud...which also means a download...and explains the time. Previously they were restored from iTunes backup which of course would be much faster as that comes from your computer.

My music and video restore is about 50% done now. Depending on folk's broadband speeds and the amount of data on their iPads, this could take an hour or two.

We came to the same conclusion at about the same time, great minds I gather ;)

iSoozin60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
download complete, was backing up - now I keep getting a message that "iPad could not be restored. An internal error occurred."

HELP!!!

iWags

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Makes sense! I am dreading doing this all over again for my iPhone...Do you think, if I start the process and leave for a few hours it will work. I have already forgotten if I needed to be clicking anything throughout this whole process! LOL

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ugh!!! It says it cannot install the update to my iPad due to AN UNKNOWN ERROR???!!! What the heck should I do now???

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Makes sense! I am dreading doing this all over again for my iPhone...Do you think, if I start the process and leave for a few hours it will work. I have already forgotten if I needed to be clicking anything throughout this whole process! LOL
Should work okay if you leave it. You'll need to click through the update and Agreement screens, but once that's done it should go on auto-pilot.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
download complete, was backing up - now I keep getting a message that "iPad could not be restored. An internal error occurred."

HELP!!!

Ugh!!! It says it cannot install the update to my iPad due to AN UNKNOWN ERROR???!!! What the heck should I do now???

This happens to a few people every time. It's usually due to a failed network connection...unfortunate but it happens. I would disconnect your iPads, close iTunes, reconnect and click on the "Check for Update" button on the iPad/iTunes Summary page and see if it will restart everything.

Most reactions

Latest posts