What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who wants their screen rotation button back?

Do you want the Screen Orientation button back?

• Yes, bring it back!

Votes: 224 74.9%
  • No, I like the mute button.

Votes: 64 21.4%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • There was an orientation button??

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you actually think it through?

Not really, no :D

OK, roll back the clock to 3.2.2.... You are watching a YouTube video and all is well. Why exactly would you suddenly decide to lock orientation in the middle of it? You had to be doing something... moving the iPad at the very least. More likely, you noticed it was rotating and you didn't want it to. So you held it where you wanted to and locked the orientation.

In my humble opinion all of that is really a much large "jarring experience" than having the video pause while you lock orientation. Is video turning 90 degrees really part of a good "user experience?" I think not. Is pausing for a second or two a big deal while you do so? I REALLY think not.

Michael

I can't really argue with your reasoning here. I still think in the end people are more upset with the fact that Apple completely changed the behavior or the switch without giving the user any option. Maybe a more interesting poll would be to see if more Windows or Mac users are upset by the change. Maybe Mac users are more used to this type of action, I don't know (and despite how that looks I do NOT mean that as a slight towards Mac users).

Anyhow, as I have said before it's not like a few minutes spent jailbreaking can't get the switch function back. As long as the option is there I can't being too upset about it.

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't believe people got so upset about it. As I said before it's working the same as in Iphone which seems sensible to me. I never used the old button lock ever. I don't know what you would ever want to lock it and for that matter I have never locked my iphone screen in 2 years either. I would go further and say that apps which don't rotate are very annoying. And I'm a PC user in ref to the previous post.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The poll results show that over 72% want the screen orientation lock switch to remain in it's original position and just over 27% think it's OK to leave it as a mute button
Whoa there... this "poll" is worded for negative results. Would you want a meaningful "poll" to be worded like this? Of COURSE the largest number of participants in THIS polll are not happy with the switch change. This "poll" is screaming for their attention, so no surprise. It's not a poll so much as misery loves company.

There is another poll that is MUCH more neutral in its title. And guess what? Almost the opposite result of what you see here.

That "other poll" is in a section less visited that this one, and you can tell by the sum of votes.

Here it is
http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipa...-decision-change-orientation-lock-switch.html

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The poll results show that over 72% want the screen orientation lock switch to remain in it's original position and just over 27% think it's OK to leave it as a mute button
Whoa there... this "poll" is worded for negative results. Would you want a meaningful "poll" to be worded like this? Of COURSE the largest number of participants in THIS polll are not happy with the switch change. This "poll" is screaming for their attention, so no surprise. It's not a poll so much as misery loves company.

There is another poll that is MUCH more neutral in its title. And guess what? Almost the opposite result of what you see here.

That "other poll" is in a section less visited that this one, and you can tell by the sum of votes.

Here it is
Apple iPad Polls - Apple iPad Forum
So what? It wasn't worded like this one. That is a fact.

As for opinion, in my opinion this poll is akin to asking people--and only the self-selected people who respond: "Who hates the president?" And expecting non-biased answers. Sure..... lol

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't really argue with your reasoning here. I still think in the end people are more upset with the fact that Apple completely changed the behavior or the switch without giving the user any option. Maybe a more interesting poll would be to see if more Windows or Mac users are upset by the change. Maybe Mac users are more used to this type of action, I don't know (and despite how that looks I do NOT mean that as a slight towards Mac users).

Anyhow, as I have said before it's not like a few minutes spent jailbreaking can't get the switch function back. As long as the option is there I can't being too upset about it.
I think I agree with you, Dave. :)

I can see how when you buy a piece of hardware, the idea that the manufacturer later "changes it" without your approval can be a little upsetting--if for that reason alone. Made worse if you actually DON'T like the change.

Alas, it is still a done deal. So best to try to make the best of it.

Michael

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can see how when you buy a piece of hardware, the idea that the manufacturer later "changes it" without your approval can be a little upsetting--if for that reason alone. Made worse if you actually DON'T like the change.

From the product specs --

change.jpg

Sucks, doesn't it?

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Here it is
Apple iPad Polls - Apple iPad Forum
So what? It wasn't worded like this one. That is a fact.

So what what?
I merely stated a fact and provided a link for other peopleto go vote on it.
You make it sound like I was arguing with you with opinions.
Sum of votes is a fact.
You want to make your point with facts, but you only welcome the facts you select?

On that poll you use to make your point, when I looked:
16 people voted "bad choice/decision"
3 people voted "good idea"
21 are neutral

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what what?
I merely stated a fact and provided a link for other peopleto go vote on it.
You make it sound like I was arguing with you with opinions.
Sum of votes is a fact.
You want to make your point with facts, but you only welcome the facts you select?

On that poll you use to make your point, when I looked:
16 people voted "bad choice"
3 people voted "good idea"
21 are neutral
Huh? I don't know what point you are trying to make here. But at least state the poll correctly, particularly if you are gonna QUOTE.... It wasn't "bad choice," "good idea," and "neutral." It was:

5 Votes (12.50%) - "Bad decision... I'm going to Jailbreak to restore original functionality (with 'NoMute')"
11 Votes (27.50%) - "It was a bad choice, but I'll just have to learn to live with it."
21 Votes (52.50%) - "Meh, doesn't make much of a difference.""
3 Votes (7.50%) - "It's about time they made the change... Now everything is perfect!"

Clearly a big difference from this poll. <shrug>

Michael

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly, so if you want to read into a little more, only 12.5% care enough to jailbreak to change it. The other 87.5% don't think it's a big enough deal to worry about.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5+11=16 prefer the orientation lock switch
3 prefer the mute button

If the switch was kept as an orientation lock switch:
(5+11+21)/(5+11+21+3)=37/40 = 93% of this poll's voters would be satisfied

As a mute switch:
(3+21)/40= 60% of this poll's voters are satisfied

Last edited:

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly, so if you want to read into a little more, only 12.5% care enough to jailbreak to change it. The other 87.5% don't think it's a big enough deal to worry about.

Only 7.5% of the voters think the mute button was a good idea.
40% of the voters think it's a bad idea/choice/decision.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5+11=16 prefer the orientation lock switch
3 prefer the mute button

If the switch was kept as an orientation lock switch:
(5+11+21)/(5+11+21+3)=37/40 = 93% of this poll's voters would be satisfied

As a mute switch:
(3+21)/40= 60% of this poll's voters are satisfied
You have some imagination there big guy. lol.... Maybe a job in the tobacco industry is in order. :)

Michael

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nothing imagined there, the numbers come from the poll you mentioned.

joecast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gave it a few days and getting more frustrated with this. The screen rotates way to easily without being able to lock it in position.
My 2c
Joe

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can still lock the screen.

Stefx: Just because only a few people LIKE it doesn't mean anything. If you took a poll about Flash content on the iPad, 90% of people would say they want it, but only a very small percentage would be so upset about lack of Flash that it would make a major difference in their opinion of the iPad.

Same thing there, while most people don't like it, they don't think it's the giant problem some of you are making it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts