What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who wants their screen rotation button back?

Do you want the Screen Orientation button back?

• Yes, bring it back!

Votes: 224 74.9%
  • No, I like the mute button.

Votes: 64 21.4%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • There was an orientation button??

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Www.iandriopoulos.com
I have found a new drawback, I you watch a video from "you tube" application and want to lock orientation, when you double press the home button to go to orientation menu, the video or music stops.

That's never happened before the IOS 4.2 because I had the orientation lock button.

cpking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess my biggest issue is that the iPad, while much like the iPhone, is, IMO, used differently. The iPhone 3G doesn't rotate at the home screen level. also, while I use my iPhone to listen to music, I rarely do so with my IPad. I use it more for video and web browsing (usually in landscape view). The need for "consistency" a Ross IOS devices seems salient to me. Being able to lock the iPad screen with one hand seems much more relevant than muting non-music sound.

nooris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The video just pauses, who cares? Just hit the play button again, not rocket science here.

Do you really think he didn't know that all he had to do was press the play button? That is not an acceptable solution.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have found a new drawback, I you watch a video from "you tube" application and want to lock orientation, when you double press the home button to go to orientation menu, the video or music stops.

That's never happened before the IOS 4.2 because I had the orientation lock button.

You could lock it before you start to watch the video.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

There you go, bringing logic to an argument!

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yeah, but that's sort of like saying "You should have taken your keys out the the car before you locked the door". That's great until you forget, which is sort of the point of why some like that handy little switch.

FX4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup I used the screen lock button all the time.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The video just pauses, who cares? Just hit the play button again, not rocket science here.

Do you really think he didn't know that all he had to do was press the play button? That is not an acceptable solution.
Not an acceptable "solution?" This is hysterical. Tap. You're done.

A simple notification popup will pause video too. If pressing "play" is that stressful to someone I tend to think many other things are too. Hate to be around when there is an unexpected traffic delay. ;)

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not an acceptable "solution?" This is hysterical. Tap. You're done.

A simple notification popup will pause video too. If pressing "play" is that stressful to someone I tend to think many other things are too. Hate to be around when there is an unexpected traffic delay. ;)

OMG. I just lost all my coffee, Michael!! Hilarious.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tap. You're done.

Why is this so hard for some? Why the big deal. Takes a second to do! Less!

I just don't understand ~ someone make me understand.:(

Who ever said it was hard? Some people just liked using the switch more than the current solution. It really isn't hard to understand at all.

The argument at this point is silly. If you want the switch function back the way it was, jailbreak. If enough people start jailbreaking to get the switch function back Apple might just copy the solution like they have every other good jailbreaking idea.

nooris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pressing play is not the unacceptable part. Having the video pause in the first place, when all you had to do in the past was just flick a switch is.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How was it any more difficult than adjusting the volume? The switch is right next to those buttons.
I think the answer to that is obvious: it was a pain too. But some of us rarely used the volume rocker. And, yes, that was equally a PITA to locate. But now that too is a double click and a swipe away on-screen. So to me the whole thing was a win-win.

And as mentioned before, some cases make it even harder to get to that switch. Combine that with the iPad's "will work in any orientation" design and yes it was a pain to sometimes feel around for that danged switch.

For me it is better to just lock/unlock from the screen.

Michael

Until today I have never actually had my iPad in a case, But, since I am traveling with my iPad for a couple of weeks I went ahead and purchased the Apple case today. Now I can see that the volume and mute switch are indeed somewhat hard to use which is kind of a bummer. Without a case, those buttons are easy as pie to use. I am guessing that the people that found the switch hard to find or toggle probably have their iPads in a case.

Now I just have learn how to live without net access for 10 days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts