What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who wants their screen rotation button back?

Do you want the Screen Orientation button back?

• Yes, bring it back!

Votes: 224 74.9%
  • No, I like the mute button.

Votes: 64 21.4%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • There was an orientation button??

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Eazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PS:

With iOS 3 and the original lock switch, you could read something on your iPad while your hand reach for the switch and lock it. No interruption to your reading whatever you are reading.

With the iOS 4, you are reading something on your iPad, but then have to interrupt your reading because the new lock switch comes up on screen, as soon as you've locked it, you just have to start reading where you left off. (Or am I wrong?)

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I buy myself an iPad soon and it comes loaded with iOS 3....
Whoa! Whoa! Wait a minute...

You are making all these comments about how much of a PITA it is to engage the screen orientation lock and you don't even own an iPad???

The only way that will happen is if you buy one used from a private individual since all iPads purchased from an authorized Apple re-seller will have the most current iOS loaded on it.

Last edited:

Major Eazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I buy myself an iPad soon and it comes loaded with iOS 3....
Whoa! Whoa! Wait a minute...

You are making all these comments about how much of a PITA it is to engage the screen orientation lock and you don't even own an iPad???

The only way that will happen is if you buy one used from a private individual since all iPads purchased from an authorized Apple re-seller will have the most current iOS loaded on it.

Before I answer that, I would like to explain that this is I think the 3rd time I saw "PITA" so may I ask what do it mean?

Anyway. I am a single parent on low income. Ever since I heard and saw the iPad in magazines, on the news, etc., I thought to read some more about it and the more I read about it, the more I figure it would be of great benefit to me in my life. (See my post in the New Members section, titled "Why I want an iPad...") The more I read about it, the more it helps me to make up my mind, to help me to make sure if an iPad is something I really want. It is, and I am saving up for it, I am about to reach the amount I need to get myself one in a couple of weeks time.

Mind you, reading and reading about the iPad do mean I got to familiar myself with most of it, I know that I still have to actually use it to know proper. But there is an Apple approved shop in the local city nearby that have three iPads on display as demo, which you can try them out. I've spend some time trying one out to see how I feel about it, including the lock switch when I try turning the iPad upside down and all that. I found it much easier to just say, look at the screen, like reading something on screen, while without looking, my hand could reach for the switch and lock it.

I admit that I still have to try an iPad loaded with iOS 4 and try the lock on iOS 4, but from what I have heard, the switch is now on screen, so surely you have to look at the switch on screen to make sure your finger gets on the switch. From what I heard, it seems to sounds like a lot of steps to do, double press home button, slide switch that's on screen, tap an icon that's on screen, then press the home button. But when I tried the iOS 3, it seems lot easier to feel for the button on the outside.

Also, I asked at the shop if they have iPads in stock or do I need to order one as I plan to get one very soon, they told me they have lots in stock ready, and I asked do they come loaded with iOS 4, but they told me that those are loaded with iOS 3. If too many people around here seems unhappy with iOS 4 or wished they would go back to iOS 3, I hope when I get my new iPad and it comes loaded with iOS 3, I'll stick with it than to upgrade.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PITA = Pain In The A$$!

...so surely you have to look at the switch on screen to make sure your finger gets on the switch.

But to use your example of engaging the screen orientation lock while reading a book, you are looking at the screen anyway so you only have to divert your eyes from the text for maybe a second or two.

When holding the iPad in portrait mode, you can perform this entire process by just using your thumbs.

While I applaud your research efforts before spending your hard-earned money, you really need to hold one in your hands and perform the action for yourself and see how it works rather than rely on other people's opinions of how much of a "PITA" it is!

Major Eazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PITA = Pain In The A$$!

...so surely you have to look at the switch on screen to make sure your finger gets on the switch.

But to use your example of engaging the screen orientation lock while reading a book, you are looking at the screen anyway so you only have to divert your eyes from the text for maybe a second or two.

When holding the iPad in portrait mode, you can perform this entire process by just using your thumbs.

While I applaud your research efforts before spending your hard-earned money, you really need to hold one in your hands and perform the action for yourself and see how it works rather than rely on other people's opinions of how much of a "PITA" it is!

Oh I see what "PITA" mean.

Anyway, what I am trying to say and mean is, um, the iPad's screen is a smooth glass, it is a whole glass, so you can't just feel for anything on screen, you have to see where you are going to touch, you have to see the apps button in order to make sure you point your finger at the button, so what I heard about the iOS 4's orientation lock switch is that it is on the screen, so you have to watch where you tap, you can't feel for the switch. Same with the slide to unlock switch when you start it up.

But with the original orientation lock switch on the outside, it is a actual switch there, so you don't really need to look for it, surely you could feel it, I mean, it's a actual switch. You could still look at the screen, like maybe reading iBook while feeling for the actual switch on the side with your finger or thumb.

Well, unless you happen to be reading whatever text is somewhere in the middle of the screen where the Lock/Unlock sign shows up to let you know. But if you were reading text at the bottom of the screen, anyway, never mind.

Anyway, I did so much background research on the iPad mainly to make sure if I really want it or not, to find out if it would be a real help for me or not as it costs a lot of money, but the local shop do have iPads on display for use as demo and I did pick them up and play with them, try them, turn them around, feel for the switches, tap on them, try some apps, and so on, so I've picked up some basic pointers of the iPad, enough for me to make up my mind that I want one. They feel okay to me, and the switch on the side of the iPad feels good to me.

By the way, I trained in the use of darkroom (photographic darkroom) which means getting used to feeling for objects without looking, so I can feel for the switch without having to look. I can ever switch on my Nokia phone without having to look for the switch.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know, after reading all of these posts about the screen orientation lock switch I think everyone has to come to the same conclusion because it is obvious that there will never be a consensus opinion. Giving the user the option as to how he or she wishes to use the stupid switch is the best and easiest solution. I understand both sides of the argument because I can see that people use this device in vastly different ways. Isn't that a testament to the device itself?

I can honestly say that in the entire time I have owned my Ipad I have received exactly two notifications, and they were both at the same time (from App Shopper when two apps dropped in price). For me, muting notifications is a completely useless feature. I do however use rotation lock every day because it fits in with how I use my device. For others that receive numerous notifications daily I can really see how muting them when watching a movie or giving a presentation is a much better option.

The best solution would be to give the user the option on how they wish to use the switch. It is a simple function. It can't possibly have any effect on app developers one way or the other because in either case it is triggering a system level function that is available through other means. What frustrates the people that liked the switch the way it was is the fact that the functionality of the device has changed no matter how small the change is (and let's be honest, the change is pretty minor). If Apple could just once give the user a choice rather than forcing it I think it would put them in a much better light.

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyway, what I am trying to say and mean is, um, the iPad's screen is a smooth glass, it is a whole glass, so you can't just feel for anything on screen, you have to see where you are going to touch, you have to see the apps button in order to make sure you point your finger at the button, so what I heard about the iOS 4's orientation lock switch is that it is on the screen, so you have to watch where you tap, you can't feel for the switch. Same with the slide to unlock switch when you start it up.
With the exception of the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button, the only other physical switch is what has become the Mute button. Every other function of the iPad is done by tapping or sliding on-screen switches.

By the way, I trained in the use of darkroom (photographic darkroom) which means getting used to feeling for objects without looking, so I can feel for the switch without having to look. I can ever switch on my Nokia phone without having to look for the switch.
The iPad is not meant to be a "tactile" device. You do need some degree of visual acuity in order to use it. There is no need top operate it in total darkness and as a matter of fact, it is quite impossible to do so! Even with the brightness control at its minimum setting, the screen is still lit up so you can see the buttons.

With all due respect, you don't even know what apps you will be using and there is no way of knowing if the orientation lock will even be a factor for you! I know that many people here use it more frequently than I would have ever guessed, but I have had an iPad since May and I can honestly say that I have never used the orientation lock... ever!

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I rarely even have to look at my iPad anymore while typing or doing basic stuff, because I've become accustomed to where everything is. Give it time, it will come to you.

I never used my orientation lock either, except to test the function of it the first day I got the iPad, and I got mine at launch.

Major Eazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You do need some degree of visual acuity in order to use it. There is no need top operate it in total darkness and as a matter of fact, it is quite impossible to do so!

That is not what I mean.

I mean watch what you are doing but feel your way around for other things. For example, I can type without having to look at a keyboard, while I am still looking at the screen. So I can use the switches on the outside of the iPad while still watching the iPad screen.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Give it time, you will be able to type on the iPad without having to look.

Granted you will probably never be as good as you are on keyboard, but given some time and practice, you can get pretty close.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
. So I can use the switches on the outside of the iPad while still watching the iPad screen.

I type 120 words a minute, not on the iPad and I can never be typing ON the iPad while looking for that stupid button on the outside!:mad:

I never could remember what side it was on and a few times I turned it off. SO annoying. Then I had to remove the little corner straps from the case to even use the button.

I love it now!

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have my work calendar on my iPad and I receive all my meeting notification alerts so being able to leave the mute button on all the time has worked well for me. Not hearing the keyboard click as I type is a plus as well. I also find it easier to double tap and swipe to turn the orientation lock on or off verses fumbling to find it with a cover on my iPad.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You do need some degree of visual acuity in order to use it. There is no need top operate it in total darkness and as a matter of fact, it is quite impossible to do so!

That is not what I mean.

I mean watch what you are doing but feel your way around for other things. For example, I can type without having to look at a keyboard, while I am still looking at the screen. So I can use the switches on the outside of the iPad while still watching the iPad screen.
I completely understand what you are trying to say, honest, but I don't think you fully understand the human interface with the iPad given the fact that you have had little, if any, experience with one. The thing that makes the iPad so remarkable is the fact that with only three exceptions, the human interface with the device is entirely through the touchscreen.

To be blunt, if tactile response is that important to you, then I fear you will be disappointed with the iPad.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of forum debates, but seeing one that involves a person who does not own the device being debated is pretty odd.

"I don't have an iPad, but give me the screen lock button back..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts