What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who wants their screen rotation button back?

Do you want the Screen Orientation button back?

• Yes, bring it back!

Votes: 224 74.9%
  • No, I like the mute button.

Votes: 64 21.4%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • There was an orientation button??

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shiggy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mtbtires.com
Why don't people get this? It works the same way as it does on the iPhone and iPod touch, it mutes sounds, not music.

If you want to mute everything, slide your index finger down 1/2" and hold the volume down button for about a second. Is it really that difficult?

Where do you want the rotation lock control?

If you own an iTouch, iPhone you will find the same implementation there.
So the answer will be: the same place for all devices!

Have you tried scrolling through a display on tour iPhone when laying on tour side before the new release of OS?
:D
Then why was the iPad done that way in the first place or why was it changed in the touch and phone? The iPad was first to the market.

LilDiva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, after much digging...I finally figured out how to lock the screen, yes..it's a little more work than just flipping a switch, but it still works!

So I'm once again a happy camper...that is a very important feature for me!

What I am digging is the folder option!! Now I can actually organize and group apps together instead of my iPad looking like an eye sore!

I don't know about the other new features...this took enough digging for me to get!

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why don't people get this? It works the same way as it does on the iPhone and iPod touch, it mutes sounds, not music.

If you want to mute everything, slide your index finger down 1/2" and hold the volume down button for about a second. Is it really that difficult?
Where do you want the rotation lock control?

If you own an iTouch, iPhone you will find the same implementation there.
So the answer will be: the same place for all devices!

Have you tried scrolling through a display on tour iPhone when laying on tour side before the new release of OS?
:D

I wish everyone would stop saying it is the same on the iPod touch (BTW, it is an iPod touch not an iTouch). It depends on the model of iPod touch. Mine (all 3) do not have a mute button - anywhere. So it is NOT the same place for all devices.

Johnole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Www.iandriopoulos.com
Hey,guys, give us back the rotation button, now I I have two buttons at the side to mute the sound and no one to rotation lock.
For rotation lock,every time, I must make 3-4 clicks to lock the screen. Not an easy way I think.

Last edited:

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never wanted to lock my iphone 3gs, iphone 4 or ipad. Having it on the menu bar is fine my me. I would rather have the mute key just like on the phone. Makes perfect sense. But now my wfifi won't auto connect... GR that is FAR more annoying than a rotation key that I never used. Oh and the multi tasking doesn't work at all. The apps that work fine for multi tasking on the iphone always restart on the ipad. 4.2.1 is the biggest let down. It simply doesn't work and you are all quite right, we were better off with 3.2.2

You must remember just like the iPhone we havetoo wait for multitasking to be added to the apps before it will work. Give it time they will work properly once they are updated.

Major Eazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be more effect to write a formal letter to Apple about this subject than to send e-mail or post messages on forums? Any chances there are Apple staff or people working for Apple being members on this forum? Would anyone working for Apple really read this topic and do something about it? Surely formal letters sent by post would mean if Apple ends up wasting time opening letters, it may encourage them to think again.

I may not have an iPad yet but I have tried this button out on a demo iPad in Apple approved shop in my local city and I think it is better that it it on the outside, so when you are busy doing some work with apps, you just feel for the switch and lock it than to what? Press Home screen, slide a switch, press the app you were working on. (Or whatever it is you have to do now with iOS 4?)

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it is better that it it on the outside, so when you are busy doing some work with apps, you just feel for the switch and lock it than to what? Press Home screen, slide a switch, press the app you were working on. (Or whatever it is you have to do now with iOS 4?)

ITA. I hated feeling around for that darn switch! Much easier now!

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it is better that it it on the outside, so when you are busy doing some work with apps, you just feel for the switch and lock it than to what? Press Home screen, slide a switch, press the app you were working on. (Or whatever it is you have to do now with iOS 4?)

ITA. I hated feeling around for that darn switch! Much easier now!

How was it any more difficult than adjusting the volume? The switch is right next to those buttons.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Apple case partially blocks the switch anyways, and I've got big fingers, so it's tough to flip the switch sometimes. I like it better where it's at now.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Apple case partially blocks the switch anyways, and I've got big fingers, so it's tough to flip the switch sometimes. I like it better where it's at now.

I wondered if most cases would block that switch, I never can use the hold switch on my Ipod Touch for the same reason. I'm OK with the switch as it is now too. That's what they make jailbreaks for!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How was it any more difficult than adjusting the volume? The switch is right next to those buttons.
I think the answer to that is obvious: it was a pain too. But some of us rarely used the volume rocker. And, yes, that was equally a PITA to locate. But now that too is a double click and a swipe away on-screen. So to me the whole thing was a win-win.

And as mentioned before, some cases make it even harder to get to that switch. Combine that with the iPad's "will work in any orientation" design and yes it was a pain to sometimes feel around for that danged switch.

For me it is better to just lock/unlock from the screen.

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may not have an iPad yet but I have tried this button out on a demo iPad in Apple approved shop in my local city and I think it is better that it it on the outside, so when you are busy doing some work with apps, you just feel for the switch and lock it than to what? Press Home screen, slide a switch, press the app you were working on. (Or whatever it is you have to do now with iOS 4?)
You're kinda making it harder than it actually is. You double-press home button and the switcher pops up on bottom of screen. You slide it quickly to the right to show the orientation lock symbol and tap it. Press home button once more to close switcher. So you never have to exit an app just to lock/unlock orientation. Perhaps you meant that but just wanted to make that clear.

Michael

Major Eazy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're kinda making it harder than it actually is. You double-press home button and the switcher pops up on bottom of screen. You slide it quickly to the right to show the orientation lock symbol and tap it. Press home button once more to close switcher. So you never have to exit an app just to lock/unlock orientation. Perhaps you meant that but just wanted to make that clear.

Michael

Whoa! Whoa! Wait a minute...

You have to double-press the home button so that the switcher pops up on the bottom of the screen then you slide it quicky to the right to show an orientation lock symbol then tap it then press home button to.......

Hold on, that's a lot of action to do!!! That's about three or four actions to do. Step 1, double-tap the home button (I know it sounds like two actions, but it is just one important step to do) then step 2, slide the switcher on the screen to a lock symbol, then step 3, tap it, then step 4, press the home.... Well you get the idea, it sounds like a lot of steps to do.

With the original switch, you just reach for it and slide it to lock, then it's that's it. Just like that, reach for the switch and do that. Where with the iOS 4 system, you make it sounds like it's a do this, this, this, and don't forget that too.

If I buy myself an iPad soon and it comes loaded with iOS 3, I think I'll stick with iOS 3, considering I hear all over the forum that some members seems to be unhappy with iOS 4 and wished they didn't upgrade in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts