What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who wants their screen rotation button back?

Do you want the Screen Orientation button back?

• Yes, bring it back!

Votes: 224 74.9%
  • No, I like the mute button.

Votes: 64 21.4%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • There was an orientation button??

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the fact that a jailbreak can "fix" it just proves it's addressable. Stupid change regardless. To say that Apple wants to make all the devices consistent is absurd. The iPhone and the iPad are NOT the same device, regardless of the operating system. iPhones stink at watching movies (who really wants to watch a movie the size of a bar of soap?). Where as watching a movie on the iPad in bed, and suddenly having it spin because you moved an inch is silly.

I use my iPad in bed quite often, so does my wife, and neither of us have had any issues with the iPad rotating by moving it an inch. I guess if you have it laid completely flat, maybe, but why would you be watching a movie that way?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the fact that a jailbreak can "fix" it just proves it's addressable. Stupid change regardless. To say that Apple wants to make all the devices consistent is absurd. The iPhone and the iPad are NOT the same device, regardless of the operating system. iPhones stink at watching movies (who really wants to watch a movie the size of a bar of soap?). Where as watching a movie on the iPad in bed, and suddenly having it spin because you moved an inch is silly.
What an incredibly short-sighted comment. In the absence of another device the iPhone will do fine for watching a movie. I have been stuck at 35,000', crammed in next to Shamu, where the only thing accessible was my iPhone. Headphones in, movie on, and it suffices just fine.

Conversely, there isn't a bedroom in my house without a HD television. I could say it's ludicrous to be on a bed trying to watch a movie on an iPad when the TV is right there--with a much much larger screen. But I wouldn't say that, because I know there are valid reasons to do so.

What I surely wouldn't do, is get all worked about something that is easily addressed in three small steps. Double-press home, slide switcher all the way over to the right, tap the lock button and the problem is solved. :)

Michael

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I originally thought that the autorotation thing was silly; now I find that I never use the lock button---software or hardware version.

barry1024

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesboydphoto.com
I've always found that holding down volume down muted it perfectly. Why do we need 2 buttons with the same function right next to each other?

I'm just glad you can still lock the rotation.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've always found that holding down volume down muted it perfectly. Why do we need 2 buttons with the same function right next to each other?

They do not have the same function.... the silent switch only mutes system sounds and apps where the developer has observed the silent switch--as in most games. Muting via the volume rocker mutes all sound. Big difference. I personally dislike the stupid volume rocker mute as it is too easy to trigger when I don't want to: many times I just want to lower the volume and it ends up muting.

Michael

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score

They do not have the same function.... the silent switch only mutes system sounds and apps where the developer has observed the silent switch--as in most games. Muting via the volume rocker mutes all sound. Big difference. I personally dislike the stupid volume rocker mute as it is too easy to trigger when I don't want to: many times I just want to lower the volume and it ends up muting.

Michael

I agree, I wish it was exactly like the iPhone and the vol control didn't have the quick mute.....:(

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, I wish it was exactly like the iPhone and the vol control didn't have the quick mute.....:(
Exactly! Now let's just hope they don't foist that on us in 4.3 on the iPhone. Oh the irony.... lol

Michael

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with the quick mute thing...I can hold the down volume button for the 2 seconds it takes to go mute. No big deal. I don't have a TV in the bedroom...never have.

joecast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread is a trip.

No kidding. Amazing how there are completely opposing views on this.

I've got a solution though (for me anyway). Move the screen rotation lock back how it was. And put the system mute where the screen rotation lock is now. Problem solved ;)
Joe

Shreds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Firstly thanks to this forum for explaining what software updates don't. I delayed updating for exactly this sort of reason. Why is it so difficult to explain to customers in advance what changes will occur? Clearly after so many pages the thread strikes a chord with many others.
What an idiotic way to run a business.

Just imagine the motor industry making the gas pedal inoperative and hiding the steering wheel under the seat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts