What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Here That Owns An iPad Will Buy The iPad Mini?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I assume this iPad mini will NOT have the camera? Does anyone know?

I am in the market for new Apple anything. I own the original iPad, love it so much, take it everywhere, use it for everything, it is 64gb and totally full. I sync it and move around movies just to make room.... have so far resisted iPad 3 though the envy is bad I am rethinking my next purchases in light of the fact that I want to do a better job with photography and organizing photos.

Can any of you folk give me some of your wise input?
I love kayaking, taking wildlife pics. I have a waterproof camera that I download all pics to iPad with the accessory, or somethimes load them on my husbands MacBook to store so I can organize better. But this is getting tiresome as he games on that PC all the time.

So I fell in love with my kayaking friends Lumix Panasonic, which has FAST SHUTTER SPEED and take brilliant pics.
I want this camera and am thinking I may buy that and the 11 inch macAir for myself to store organize and work with photos.

However,,,if I upgrade to iPad 3 will I love it so much with the camera? Though doubt I would ever dare take on kayak trips....

Yes, I already lost an iphone to the Chesapeake Bay.....

I think I am just talking out loud to myself....I can afford whatever will work best.
I'm afraid if I buy camera and macAir I will still need iPad of some sort, cos I lve the touch screen and freedom of iPad.

Must say though that mine is crashing more frequently, yes it's old, and things like Facebook Timeline send it crazy!

Thanks for listening. Yes, I might buy both! I will never get rid of this one though...

Sounds like an iPad 3 is a better buy for your needs, if within budget.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipadgypsy said:
I assume this iPad mini will NOT have the camera? Does anyone know?

I am in the market for new Apple anything. I own the original iPad, love it so much, take it everywhere, use it for everything, it is 64gb and totally full. I sync it and move around movies just to make room.... have so far resisted iPad 3 though the envy is bad I am rethinking my next purchases in light of the fact that I want to do a better job with photography and organizing photos.

Can any of you folk give me some of your wise input?
I love kayaking, taking wildlife pics. I have a waterproof camera that I download all pics to iPad with the accessory, or somethimes load them on my husbands MacBook to store so I can organize better. But this is getting tiresome as he games on that PC all the time.

So I fell in love with my kayaking friends Lumix Panasonic, which has FAST SHUTTER SPEED and take brilliant pics.
I want this camera and am thinking I may buy that and the 11 inch macAir for myself to store organize and work with photos.

However,,,if I upgrade to iPad 3 will I love it so much with the camera? Though doubt I would ever dare take on kayak trips....

Yes, I already lost an iphone to the Chesapeake Bay.....

I think I am just talking out loud to myself....I can afford whatever will work best.
I'm afraid if I buy camera and macAir I will still need iPad of some sort, cos I lve the touch screen and freedom of iPad.

Must say though that mine is crashing more frequently, yes it's old, and things like Facebook Timeline send it crazy!

Thanks for listening. Yes, I might buy both! I will never get rid of this one though...

The iPad mini will come equipped with a camera.

sdleasia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I kinda-sorta have an iPad mini already - although it is better known as an iPhone 4... I had the 3G disconnected and only use it Wi-Fi, but even then it is just becoming more of an expensive alarm clock/stopwatch/timer and ipod.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The new iPad is great for viewing pictures you take on another device. Not so great for taking pics, though. Too big.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The new iPad is great for viewing pictures you take on another device. Not so great for taking pics, though. Too big.

I think Apple is making a BIG mistake not including a micro memory slot on all the iPads, to me that's one important item. I am seeing a lot of people at my local BestBuy looking at the iPads then looking at the Android tablets. Then buying the Androids. I ask a few just why did they pick the Android over the iPad, and I am told time after time that having the external memory was the factor. I own both and still love my iPad2 but a friend in the BB Geek Squad who also is big on his iPad but is thinking of a new system,he told me yesterday he was really looking at an Android Galaxy 10.1 note. Said it was hard over looking many items it offered over his iPad.

On the iPad or Android camera's I never use them, I just ordered a new Canon G15 think it's what taking a picture is for to me.

Last edited:

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I talk to people about why they chose one tablet over another, the response is usually the OS. I had a Samsung tablet with expandable storage. I didn't need it and I didn't use it. But that's the beauty of it; there are lots of different tablets for lots of different needs.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I talk to people about why they chose one tablet over another, the response is usually the OS. I had a Samsung tablet with expandable storage. I didn't need it and I didn't use it. But that's the beauty of it; there are lots of different tablets for lots of different needs.

I guess many don't store HD videos and large picture files on their tablets, but I do so being able to add a 16 or 32 or 64 gb micro memory card is a cool deal. And I don't need iTunes to get them on it. Just paste them from my computer direct to the memory card. I guess Apple has their reason for limiting people from using items not someway direct with iTunes, but I don't see it as a good thing. From someone who bought a Apple Macbook Pro to syn files to my iPad. a $1,400 deal.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think Apple is making a BIG mistake not including a micro memory slot on all the iPads, to me that's one important item. I am seeing a lot of people at my local BestBuy looking at the iPads then looking at the Android tablets. Then buying the Androids. I ask a few just why did they pick the Android over the iPad, and I am told time after time that having the external memory was the factor. I own both and still love my iPad2 but a friend in the BB Geek Squad who also is big on his iPad but is thinking of a new system,he told me yesterday he was really looking at an Android Galaxy 10.1 note. Said it was hard over looking many items it offered over his iPad.

On the iPad or Android camera's I never use them, I just ordered a new Canon G15 think it's what taking a picture is for to me.

Well, despite your single experience a lot of people are not buying Android tabs (even though I own 3 if you count the Kindle). I have been looking at the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, but I still find a lot of reviewers who think it is overpriced for what you get....Samsung is big into plastics and the back is said to flex a lot...I'm getting fearful of buying Android because few if any seem to be streeting with Android 4.0.2, Jelly Bean, the latest and best version of that OS. This, if you ask me, is very strange. Even new phones, brand new top smartphones, are hitting market without the best Android experience. And you never know when/if the update will come. I'm having trouble at the moment finding an Android tablet that can best the Google Nexus 7, which I currently own and like, for what it is. I still think iOS is superior for most of my needs, but I don't like being tied to just one company.

I got over the lack of SD slot buy getting an Air Stash, which I can use with all of my devices. It gives me infinite storage. The slot thing is old news now....and even a lot of Android devices are starting to show up with no SD slot.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Well, despite your single experience a lot of people are not buying Android tabs (even though I own 3 if you count the Kindle). I have been looking at the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, but I still find a lot of reviewers who think it is overpriced for what you get....Samsung is big into plastics and the back is said to flex a lot...I'm getting fearful of buying Android because few if any seem to be streeting with Android 4.0.2, Jelly Bean, the latest and best version of that OS. This, if you ask me, is very strange. Even new phones, brand new top smartphones, are hitting market without the best Android experience. And you never know when/if the update will come. I'm having trouble at the moment finding an Android tablet that can best the Google Nexus 7, which I currently own and like, for what it is. I still think iOS is superior for most of my needs, but I don't like being tied to just one company.

I got over the lack of SD slot buy getting an Air Stash, which I can use with all of my devices. It gives me infinite storage. The slot thing is old news now....and even a lot of Android devices are starting to show up with no SD slot.

I can't comment on Android v iOS as I've never had an Android device however, I fully agree with the comments about storage. There are plenty of solutions that don't involve your device having yet more space given up to some kind of slot and the hardware that goes with it......NAS drives, Airstash, CloudFTP, GoFlex, etc, etc, etc.....why tie a device to one slot when the inbuilt wifi provides an endless source of solutions.

The Archangel

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Could you give me some of the details of what you find really good about the Google Nexus 7? Just what you have found by comparing it to others tablets. As for the flexing of the Galaxy 10.1 notes plastic body I also have a Galaxy Tab2 with a plastic body. Have not really noticed any flexing but I don't bend them either. It sure keeps the weight down a lot IMHO, I have not read or heard of the plastic body's on Galaxy's cracking if you have let me know. The OS I have is the ICS don't know much about the coming JB OS. Also many who have upgraded their iPads OS have not been very happy, me I am still holding back using what has worked well for me.
On another subject I did a little interfacing with Google's support for their Play Store, after finding the support on the Net. for the GPS, and it's NOT a real quick easy find. They are quick to get phone call to you and are real helpful in solving problems one might have.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't comment on Android v iOS as I've never had an Android device however, I fully agree with the comments about storage. There are plenty of solutions that don't involve your device having yet more space given up to some kind of slot and the hardware that goes with it......NAS drives, Airstash, CloudFTP, GoFlex, etc, etc, etc.....why tie a device to one slot when the inbuilt wifi provides an endless source of solutions.

The Archangel

I understand the many cloud storing places, but I am real big on having a lot of control over my files and having a memory card has always given me this control. And my iPad and Galaxy's are just WiFi so when I am out of WiFi range and want to show someone some pictures or a video, I can do so. How is the cost of the cell phone minuets in the UK? Here there high, I have Sprint $98 a Month with a two year contract for my iPhone4 I have unlimited data but just day time 400 minuets but lots after 7pm and week ends. My home WiFi with my internet is really fast.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadder474 said:
I understand the many cloud storing places, but I am real big on having a lot of control over my files and having a memory card has always given me this control. And my iPad and Galaxy's are just WiFi so when I am out of WiFi range and want to show someone some pictures or a video, I can do so. How is the cost of the cell phone minuets in the UK? Here there high, I have Sprint $98 a Month for my iPhone4 I have unlimited data but just day time 400 minuets but lots after 7pm and week ends. My home WiFi with my internet is really fast.

Airstash and CloudFTP, etc. are small devices which can fit in your pocket but still connect to your iOS devices (and other OS's at the same time) wirelessly. They have no effect on data usage. I have complete control over my files with my CloudFTP, I am not limited to a small capacity flash drive, any USB Mass Storage Device should be usable.

NAS drives do affect your data usage so best if you have a good or unlimited data plan.

The solutions are out there, you just need to do a bit of investigation to see what works best for you. Check out the iPad Connect section of the forum for lots of good advice.

The Archangel

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score

The Archangel

Thank you I will.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Airstash and CloudFTP, etc. are small devices which can fit in your pocket but still connect to your iOS devices (and other OS's at the same time) wirelessly. They have no effect on data usage. I have complete control over my files with my CloudFTP, I am not limited to a small capacity flash drive, any USB Mass Storage Device should be usable.

NAS drives do affect your data usage so best if you have a good or unlimited data plan.

The solutions are out there, you just need to do a bit of investigation to see what works best for you. Check out the iPad Connect section of the forum for lots of good advice.

The Archangel

I will have to do a little more reading but I think someone is saying both Airstash and CloudFTP do not support HD video M2Ts files. By installing the MX-Player I can view my HD videos on tablet without converting them. so I like having the higher quality HD videos if I have to convert them to iPad mp4 files, why have a high dollar Sony 560 Camcorder? Will the Airstash and CloudFTP support the M2Ts video files?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadder474 said:
I will have to do a little more reading but I think someone is saying both Airstash and CloudFTP do not support HD video M2Ts files. By installing the MX-Player I can view my HD videos on tablet without converting them. so I like having the higher quality HD videos if I have to convert them to iPad mp4 files, why have a high dollar Sony 560 Camcorder? Will the Airstash and CloudFTP support the M2Ts video files?

I don't use M2Ts but those solutions discussed are two of many if you look around, hence why I suggested that you need to investigate what's out there if you want to find what works best for you however, if you know of a website which has a (legal) M2Ts file which I can download then PM me the link and ill happily test it on my CloudFTP for you tomorrow.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts