What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Here That Owns An iPad Will Buy The iPad Mini?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Beryl,

I have not seen any threads here comparing tablets at all. I could do one, but in my mind the don't compete. The iPad is the better device but the nexus 7 is very light, a plus. Among android tablet, the nexus 7 is among the top, with jelly bean and it raw speed being deciding factors. The nexus 7 is not the most feature rich tablet, due to it low price. But for what you get it is a good deal. Still, I will probably get a mini OS whatever it is called. I have to say I am a big fan of tablets.

V6668lsc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 1, and have since tried Amazon Fire,B&N Nook Tablet, and the new Nexus7 tablet. The Nexus seven locked up and would not work. I found I would have to Root the os to install the Android software on both the Nook Tablet and Nexus7 to get the use I wanted from either one. There seems to be a renweal of proprietory systems with the evolution of these tablet, which to my mind hinders their usefeulness. Kindle,Nook,Nexus all want to limit the software to what you buy through them. Unfortunately for many of us users expecially my use of Genealogy software none of them offer an acceptable Genealogy programs. On the other hand the Apple IPAD has several and I expect the Mini will support existing software apps covering Genealogy. Both the Nook and the Nexus were returned, and I passed the Kindle fire on to my daughter to use. Yes I will buy the Ipad Mini as long as it is supported by ios6 etc.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All newer Ipads, Touches and Iphones use the same IOS and for the most part use the same apps. Ipad One, the older Touches and Iphones don't have processors that can support IOS6 but anything current shares the same IOS and sync together. That's the joy of Apple devices (and I'm otherwise a very longtime Windows person).

Aesop20

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm just thinking that the idea of the Mini is to try and compete with the Fire and the Nexus... $300 seems steeps even for Apple if they're trying to compete with that end of the market. I'd say it needs to be more at the $150-200 mark.

gma2wjj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A friend has a Kindle Fire(first one) it is an ok product and works ok for her needs,which are mostly games,facebook,music & nexflex & email. She has problems with her cloud not working and not always being able to log in to her email and other sights that she has to log into... I must admit that some of the problems just Might be the user not the product. If I was in the market for a new device I would hold out for the iPad Mini. I am not sure but I think there is an app that lets you read Amazon books on other products.

Another thing I know for sure about her device is that unless she gets her apps from Amazon they just do not work right......and what few free apps they have are only for a trail period.

She has tried to talk me into the Kindle Fire or KF Hd...but I am just stuck on my Apple devices because they are just so easy to use and I have Never had any problems with them. I guess it might depend on how Tech smart you are and that I am not...so I will stick with Apple. There are Lots of places to get good books from and lots of them are free and you can get other company Apps for them from the apple app store.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A friend has a Kindle Fire(first one) it is an ok product and works ok for her needs,which are mostly games,facebook,music & nexflex & email. She has problems with her cloud not working and not always being able to log in to her email and other sights that she has to log into... I must admit that some of the problems just Might be the user not the product. If I was in the market for a new device I would hold out for the iPad Mini. I am not sure but I think there is an app that lets you read Amazon books on other products.

Another thing I know for sure about her device is that unless she gets her apps from Amazon they just do not work right......and what few free apps they have are only for a trail period.

She has tried to talk me into the Kindle Fire or KF Hd...but I am just stuck on my Apple devices because they are just so easy to use and I have Never had any problems with them. I guess it might depend on how Tech smart you are and that I am not...so I will stick with Apple. There are Lots of places to get good books from and lots of them are free and you can get other company Apps for them from the apple app store.

Your friend sounds like an inept user of Kindle Fire. I have the original and have had no such probs as she supposedly has, and there is a daily free promotional app, as well as many others offered as freebies. As for free ebooks, you can access plenty on Fire, too.

That said, people should buy devices that work best for them. But they should judge based on actual facts.

I use devices on multiple platforms and find Fire as easy to use as iDevices, of which I have several. I also have a Fire HD 10" on order, and continue to use my iPads and Samsung Galaxy Note.

Last edited:

gma2wjj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your friend sounds like an inept user of Kindle Fire. I have the original and have had no such probs as she supposedly has, and there is a daily free promotional app, as well as many others offered as freebies. As for free ebooks, you can access plenty on Fire, too.

That said, people should buy devices that work best for them. But they should judge based on actual facts.

I use devices on multiple platforms and find Fire as easy to use as iDevices, of which I have several. I also have a Fire HD 10" on order, and continue to use my iPads and Samsung Galaxy Note.

I agree with everything you have said....(that is why I said some of her problems might be with the user not the device) I guess my point was get something that is easy for you to use . The better you understand what you have and how to use it the easier it is to use and the more you can use it. Shop around look at everything then get what works for you based on facts

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would certainly not replace my standard iPad 2 with the mini however, I will plan to add to it so long as I can sell my iPad 1 for a reasonable price. I wouldn't mind having the option to grab a smaller device from time to time when I not going to settle in for a while on my current iPad. I also think it would be suited better to take along in car rides for the kids if I dare let them.....

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now that it seems to nearly be a reality and the price guess, I don't even think I would contemplate it even for my kids(I had thought I might for Christmas) if they were like 1/2 to just over in price of a full iPad. But I don't see the incentive since they are nearly as much and might only be wifi. My son wants an iPad and I don't see him liking the mini. Would be about the size of his kindle. I am underwhelmed.

pastorpatsue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3 Verizon 64gig and a Kindle Touch that I use for reading. I carry them both in a Timbuk2 extra small messenger bag wherever I go. I just don't have the itch that needs scratched with another iPad that is only smaller.

Patrick

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Samsung just dropped by $50 US the price of a Galaxy Tab2 from $249 US to $199 US. I feel Apple understands the smaller Anaroid tablets are being sold and at a good price, so Apple is joining the others to get in on the smaller tablet sales. Problem Apple faces is how well people are taking to the Anaroid operating system and how really simple it is to get App.s music and pictures installed. Many have had problems dealing with the Apple store and Apples iTunes. The big item for me is Apple not having a micro memory card slot, none on the standard iPads and none on the new Mini iPads. This is a real deal killer IMHO.

ipadgypsy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I assume this iPad mini will NOT have the camera? Does anyone know?

I am in the market for new Apple anything. I own the original iPad, love it so much, take it everywhere, use it for everything, it is 64gb and totally full. I sync it and move around movies just to make room.... have so far resisted iPad 3 though the envy is bad I am rethinking my next purchases in light of the fact that I want to do a better job with photography and organizing photos.

Can any of you folk give me some of your wise input?
I love kayaking, taking wildlife pics. I have a waterproof camera that I download all pics to iPad with the accessory, or somethimes load them on my husbands MacBook to store so I can organize better. But this is getting tiresome as he games on that PC all the time.

So I fell in love with my kayaking friends Lumix Panasonic, which has FAST SHUTTER SPEED and take brilliant pics.
I want this camera and am thinking I may buy that and the 11 inch macAir for myself to store organize and work with photos.

However,,,if I upgrade to iPad 3 will I love it so much with the camera? Though doubt I would ever dare take on kayak trips....

Yes, I already lost an iphone to the Chesapeake Bay.....

I think I am just talking out loud to myself....I can afford whatever will work best.
I'm afraid if I buy camera and macAir I will still need iPad of some sort, cos I lve the touch screen and freedom of iPad.

Must say though that mine is crashing more frequently, yes it's old, and things like Facebook Timeline send it crazy!

Thanks for listening. Yes, I might buy both! I will never get rid of this one though...

Most reactions

Latest posts