What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

While still at Apple Store - Tests to show I got a "good one"?

Thrown.Clear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'll be picking up my New iPad (32gb, wifi) tomorrow (Friday, 4/20/12) at the Apple Store. Except for a couple of iPods, this is my first big Apple purchase. I've been looking over the forum pretty closely, and I'm relieved to see that most of you have had Zero problems with your new iPad.

However, I can't help but gulp when I run across the threads about bad wifi, bad light bleeds, bad camera, etc etc.

I know that I'll be able to do an initial setup of the iPad while still at the Apple Store with an Apple customer service rep. Is there anything you recommend I should be sure to check before I leave the store?

I'm not sure what a "light bleed" looks like (it's hard to tell from the photos), or under what conditions (i.e., a particular movie? app?) they're most likely show up.

I thought I'd get some advice before I head in! Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thrown.Clear said:
Hello all!

I'll be picking up my New iPad (32gb, wifi) tomorrow (Friday, 4/20/12) at the Apple Store. Except for a couple of iPods, this is my first big Apple purchase. I've been looking over the forum pretty closely, and I'm relieved to see that most of you have had Zero problems with your new iPad.

However, I can't help but gulp when I run across the threads about bad wifi, bad light bleeds, bad camera, etc etc.

I know that I'll be able to do an initial setup of the iPad while still at the Apple Store with an Apple customer service rep. Is there anything you recommend I should be sure to check before I leave the store?

I'm not sure what a "light bleed" looks like (it's hard to tell from the photos), or what under what conditions (i.e., a particular movie? app?) they're most likely show up.

I thought I'd get some advice before I head in! Thanks in advance...

I think if you mention to your sales associate at the Apple store that you have concerns of the type expressed here they will be more than happy to not only help you with initial setup and perform some additional testing to put your fears to rest. They see the returns, they know every possible defect and how to look for it. Just imagine how many they have heard and worked through with customers.

Their goal is to make you a happy customer so I would be very surprised if they did not go the extra mile with you before you leave the store. Apple employees, unlike other electronics retailers, do not frown upon informed consumers asking valid questions or expressing legitimate concerns at purchase time.

What specifically can you do to test for potential flaws? I suppose checking wifi range is a good starting point. Bleed and tint issues......if you can't spot any then I say you are good to go. If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it does it make a sound? Your opinion, not that of anyone else, is what matters.

This is a major purchase and you deserve to be at ease when you leave with,your new iPad, I expect you will be.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great idea and I believe there is also a website that you can go to if I'm not mistaken to test for dead pixels. You may have to do a search here in the search bar but that will be easy to go to the website and run the test with the Apple Rep watching! There is probably a similar test for light bleed as well.

Here is a you tube video that may help.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...m5GhBQ&usg=AFQjCNEmvexTOgAGX6tl9M5PyY1RUBjRpA

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome on board to our forums. I can understand your concern but please be aware that the issues are minor with the new iPad. Sure we have complaints showing up in threads however when you analize the number of complaints based on the number of members then look at the total picture and number of units sold you will find it is a very very small percentage whom have issues. Forums tend to attract users with problems as well as uSers whom want to learn more and like you research what is happening in the real world. Wifi problems are NOT wide spread. Every one of my clients whom purchased a new iPad all are more than happy with wifi. What we found when each new model was released users had problems connecting to routers. The fact remains in many cases the router were old technology this the source of the problem. Some wifi problems have shown up around the world but frankly I have not had the time to research them. Bleed issues emerged and again much of it may have been first batch problems. Again one does not hear much about this issue. My advice is just purchase the new iPad and relax enjoy and have fun. If after purchase you are not satisfied then worry about it. Have fun with your new Apple purchase.

Walt Cullop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can confirm that wifi reception isn't so hot (at least on mine). I am in a RV park and my Android Phone and laptop get 5 bar reception from the local wifi box. My iPad saw it once and I tried to connect. it wouldn't and now it doesn't even see it. All three devices are next to each other on the table during this tes.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can confirm that wifi reception isn't so hot (at least on mine). I am in a RV park and my Android Phone and laptop get 5 bar reception from the local wifi box. My iPad saw it once and I tried to connect. it wouldn't and now it doesn't even see it. All three devices are next to each other on the table during this tes.

Walt I would try a simple reset by pressing and holding both the power button and the home button while the iPad is on and keep holding both buttons until after it shuts off and don't let them go until the apple reappears.

OP
T

Thrown.Clear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, everybody. I plan on going in, letting them know my concerns, being polite, and having a good time. I don't doubt that everything will turn out great.

@Mickeylittle - thank you for that link - it's just the sort of test I was looking for.

You know, I've heard plenty of smack-talk about you Apple guys over the years, but I have to say that so far my experience (both on the phone with Apple and now on this forum) has been extremely positive.

Thanks for bein' there!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thrown.Clear said:
Thanks for the advice, everybody. I plan on going in, letting them know my concerns, being polite, and having a good time. I don't doubt that everything will turn out great.

@Mickeylittle - thank you for that link - it's just the sort of test I was looking for.

You know, I've heard plenty of smack-talk about you Apple guys over the years, but I have to say that so far my experience (both on the phone with Apple and now on this forum) has been extremely positive.

Thanks for bein' there!

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Just to let you know, this is a privately owned Forum and has no ties with Apple whatsoever.
I'm sure you're going to love your iPad!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
T

Thrown.Clear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HappyPelican said:
Congrats on your new iPad!

Thanks so much! I'm typing on it right now!

So far, so good. It's not easy hovering over the "keyboard" though. I usually rest my fingers on home-row.

FYI, the screen is beautiful, no bleed, wi-fi is nice and strong.

It is one pretty bit o' kit, that is for sure.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thrown.Clear said:

So far, so good. It's not easy hovering over the "keyboard" though. I usually rest my fingers on home-row.

Congrats!

Now enjoy!

A good first purchase for kicks is skylanders cloud patrol. I am addicted. Not since plants vs zombies have I been so determined to beat a game. Also see plants vs zombies just released an update with additional content and mini games.....my weekend is shot.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey glad to hear you got an A-1 unit. And like was previously stated, the vast majority of Apple products really are! Congrats!

Fairwayman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thrown.Clear said:

Congrats on your new iPad, I pre-ordered mine and received it on March 16, my unit has had no issues whatsoever.
As to the keyboard please try the dictation feature, this post was done using the dictation feature and I use it daily.
I rarely use the keyboard anymore, the dictation feature is that good. It is even more accurate with the white Apple earbuds with the microphone and volume buttons.

Last edited:

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Congrats on your new iPad, I pre-ordered mine and received it on March 16, my unit has had no issues whatsoever.
As to the keyboard please try the dictation feature, this post was done using the dictation feature and I use it daily.
I rarely use the keyboard anymore, the dictation feature is that good. It is even more accurate with the white Apple earbuds with the microphone and volume buttons.

Show off! Just kidding! But seriously the dictation feature is amazing on this thing!

lazymutant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yea the ipad is great, i just picked up a 3rd gen white 64gb wifi+4g model yesterday, hell i payed less then full price due to the fact it was a open box (i asked appaerently it was used as one of the display units)

Most reactions