What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHich video format when converting from avi?

domromer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a bunch of videos that are formatted in AVI that I'd like to make playable on the ipad. I looked on the ipad spec sheet and it seems to be able to play a few formats. Is there one better than the other? I'm pretty new to all this.

Thanks,
Dom

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad player is a version of Apples Quicktime and uses mp4.
Ok sticking my head out but the best converter is the free program called Handbrake for either mac or windows. Just google and download it.

Check some older forum posts for the best settings.
Also an app worth getting is called Air Video which will stream movies from your main computer to your iPad converting them on the fly. Great for saving space on the iPad.

OP
D

domromer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad player is a version of Apples Quicktime and uses mp4.
Ok sticking my head out but the best converter is the free program called Handbrake for either mac or windows. Just google and download it.

Check some older forum posts for the best settings.
Also an app worth getting is called Air Video which will stream movies from your main computer to your iPad converting them on the fly. Great for saving space on the iPad.

I actually use handbrake to rip videos. For some reason I didn't think it would convert AVi's to Mpeg4.

jecastej

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.pixetnia.com
I guess you are talking Windows machines as Quicktime + Flip4Mac (registered) plays and converts AVI and WMV videos to iPhone or iPad video formats. But if you register the Quicktime on the PC it will allow you to make the conversion. However there may be better options.

You are asking for what video format: Use H264, the files must have the m4v extension and use the same resolution pixel x pixel.

As for Handbrake it only rips DVDs and it doesn't convert from one format to another. For video conversion on PCs I will do a search for Free apps first, as there are several apps at around $30 that convert videos.

One thing I always recommend is if you have the DVD disks is way faster to rip the DVDs to an iPad format than to make the painfully slow video conversion. This is slow no matter what program you use.

Last edited:
OP
D

domromer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess you are talking Windows machines as Quicktime + Flip4Mac (registered) plays and converts AVI and WMV videos to iPhone or iPad video formats. I guess if you register the Quicktime on the PC it will allow you to make the conversion.

You are asking for what video format: Use H264, the files must have the m4v extension and use the same resolution pixel x pixel.

As for Handbrake it only rips DVDs and it doesn't convert from one format to another. For video conversion on PCs I will do a search for Free apps first, as there are several apps at around $30 that convert videos.

One thing I always recommend is if you have the DVD disks is way faster to rip the DVDs to an iPad format than to make the painfully slow video conversion. This is slow no matter what program you use.

Actually handbrake on macs does convert. I used it to convert a bunch of AVi's last night and now they are playing on my ipad as mpg4s.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok new app just out apparently plays avi's. Called CineXPlayer.
It's free but might not be available for long.
Just downloaded it but it's too late here to play with it.
GL & GN.

lumberjak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Besides CineXplayer you can use either Oplayer or YxPlayer. They are $4.99 in the app store and are more stable than CineXplayer. The hype is on CineXplayer for some reason (only it being free makes it the most amazing) but it was hardly the first on the app store to allow divx/xvid formats.

u01jsw6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Besides CineXplayer you can use either Oplayer or YxPlayer. They are $4.99 in the app store and are more stable than CineXplayer. The hype is on CineXplayer for some reason (only it being free makes it the most amazing) but it was hardly the first on the app store to allow divx/xvid formats.

The hype is on cineplayer because it supports a higher frame rate conversion. YXPlayer is only 15fps and sometimes it drops the audio completely.

SimplyBea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Handbrake is awesome!
Thanks for all the tips people.... I have learnt a lot today just from here.
:)

cicciocant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if you want to see xvid/xvid movie you can use vlc (free) or cinexplayer (payment).
yxplayer and oplayer are very bad.

if you want to see h264 movie you can use the original apple video software , but you have to convert video.
Use avidemux and you convert only the audio in aac format and the container in mp4.
The video track can be the same.

Sorry for my bad english.

Most reactions

Latest posts