What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Viewing AVI files from an SD Card

cyclewalkbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a car camera which records videos in AVI format on an SD card.

I bought a lightning SD card reader for my ipad 3 retina model.

I downloaded the AV player HD app and was ready to download and play the videos from the SD card.

However all I find is that the videos download into the Photos app that came with the ipad. This does not play AVI files.

How can I download these AVI files and view them on the ipad?

Many thanks

Bob

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You're either going to have to convert the AVI files to something like MP4s or M4Vs or use a method to transfer them into AVPlayerHD directly. The latter is probably faster. You can use iTunes or you can open AVPlayerHD and do a wifi transfer over your home network from a PC.

OP
C

cyclewalkbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply and info.

The camera is in the car to record " incidents" whilst driving aboard. Therefore would not have access to any other computer (my home computer is an iMac), is there any way to do this just on the ipad itself.

Sorry if I did not make my question as clear as possible first time.

Cheers

Bob

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would try (just spitballing here...) using Goodreader to pull the file from the Photo app/ camera roll and then use the Send to... function to send it across to AVPlayer.

mengniu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So easy, u can go to download ipad video converter from app.

jolie11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, there are only some less-commonly-used types, compatible AVI files with iPad: Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.
so if your avi videos are not in that container, then you may need to convert the avi videos to iPad MP4 video on your iMac, and then transfer the videos to iPad with iTunes. You could get an ifunia video-converter from Mac App Store on your iMac, that which I used.

Or you could try iMedia Player for iPad, which is a player that advertised can play avi and many other video formats.

Most reactions