What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Safari tab did the new one replace?

Lenoxus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In some ways, Safari is my favorite of the iPad browsers, despite its tab limit; it's the smoothest and (I think) least prone to crashing, plus it being the default browser makes it more convenient to access from other apps. But there's one aspect that makes me gnash my teeth. If I tap a link in another app to open something in Safari, and Safari currently has nine tabs open, then it closes one of them to make room for the new one – and the closed one doesn't show up in the "recently closed tabs"! So basically, that tab is "gone". As far as I can tell, there's no way to retrieve it except by scrolling through the history, but of course I'd have to have a good enough memory that it would be moot anyway.

Sorry that this is basically just a rant, but if someone happens to have a solution, such as making another browser the default one, that would be swell. (I know I can just press and hold links to copy them, but the Safari thing is just so convenient.)

PS: In writing this (on my iPad, in Safari) I encountered a strange bug: the text wraparound in this post-editor pays no attention to words, so all my words are being split in the middle. So there's something the forum folks should look into?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's only possible to change the default browser by jailbreaking your device I'm afraid. Can't be done on the stock iPad.

However, if jailbeaking and installing the "Browser Changer" tweak is the only thing you ever do when jailbroken, it could well be worth it! :) It will probably take you 30 minutes tops. Head on over to the Hacking Section for more info... ;)

Of course, there is also the "Tab+" tweak which removes the 9 tab restriction from Safari. Could be an alternative reason to jailbreak! :D

PS - The issue with the editor is well known. It is an issue with the underlying forum software and nothing we have control of. It was reported on the very first day the new design went live.
We live in hope of a fix!

Last edited:
OP
L

Lenoxus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions! I don't think I will follow either one, being reluctant to jailbreak, but I will consider the possibility.

theTimo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One solution is to do the basic surfing with another browser so hitting links doesn't lose anything in Safari. Dolphin HD is a wonderfully flexible, smooth and fast browser.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts