What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari Tabs Won't Close

bob12603

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've owned my iPad (the one with the Retina display) for only a few days. Suddenly the Safari tabs won't close. Of course I know to tap on the little x near the left edge of the tab but that does nothing. I've powered down the iPad but when it comes back up Safari remembers all of the tabs and still refuses to close them. I'm desparate enough to just blow away Safari but I don't know how to do that either. (I found a post saying to make the icon wiggle and then tap the upper right corner but that did nothing.)

I've found many hits on the Internet about this Safari problem, but all have been for the non-iPad versions of Safari and have solutions which don't translate to the iPad.

Thanks, Bob

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try going to the settings for Safari in your Settings app (the gear-shaped icon). Once you've pressed/open the tab for Safari, look over on the right side. There should be two lines, "Clear History" and "Clear Cookies and Data." Press those two lines to do the actions.

Then, fully close out the Safari app. To do (apologies if you know how): Double tap the Home button (or do a 4-finger swipe up) to reveal a row of icons in the multi-tasking bar. Press and hold an icon until they all start to wiggle and you see a red circle with a minus sign ("-") in the top left. Press the minus sign to fully close the app. Don't worry, it won't remove the app from your iPad, just from the iPad's resident memory.

After those two steps, try Safari again. Hopefully, that will have helped. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

P.S. And, just so you know, you can't delete the apps that come stock with the iPad (Safari, Mail, etc.). That's why you didn't see the "x" in the upper left corner of the icon when it was wiggling...

OP
B

bob12603

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks VERY much Marilyn. That fixed the problem. Blew away all of the tabs but that was a small price to pay.

Re your PS ... Thanks for that piece of info too. I guess I had misunderstood what I read. I thought that an x in the upper right corner would only close the app, not delete it. I didn't want to delete Safari, I'm not that unhappy with it ... yet!, but I did want to close it. (Not sure that concept exists on the iPad - I just wanted to recycle it, i.e. have it start up from scratch.)

Thanks, Bob

Most reactions

Latest posts