What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which is faster 3G or Wifi?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to understand these two. I have both. One, I pay $25 monthly for to AT&T because I wanted to be able to always access the Internet and there is no contract. Join anytime, cancel anytime.

Then ~

I also have WiFi.

I feel so dumb as I don't remember which one I pay through Comcast and AT&T.:eek:

And which one is faster? At home, here, I think I use WiFi more....shitums. I have no clue.

Doesn't it say up top in the left hand corner what I'm using?

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi speed depends on the broadband connection speed which the wifi router is connected, but in the vast majority of cases it is the fastest connection. The iPad will use a wifi connection in preference to a 3G connection. You can turn the 3G and/or wifi off via settings.

You pay AT&T for your 3G connection.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi speed depends on the broadband connection speed which the wifi router is connected, but in the vast majority of cases it is the fastest connection. The iPad will use a wifi connection in preference to a 3G connection. You can turn the 3G and/or wifi off via settings.

You pay AT&T for your 3G connection.

This I did not know at all! Thank you so much! My broadband connection speed is very fast. So that is why my ipad is so fast?

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No probs.

Is that why the ipad is so quick? If you mean loading web pages then yes, but it should be comparable to your normal computer.

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Patience is a virtue Sweet Marie;) Yes, your wifi will always be faster if you're on broadband.

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Generally wifi is faster but that depends on your isp. If you are rely wanting to know download the speedtest.net app for iphone and test both of the speeds.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Patience is a virtue Sweet Marie;) Yes, your wifi will always be faster if you're on broadband.

Not one of my best features, I'm afraid.:eek:.

Okay. So when I am not at home we use 3G? Because we don't tap into people's broadband, right?

Generally wifi is faster but that depends on your isp. If you are rely wanting to know download the speedtest.net app for iphone and test both of the speeds.

I don't have an iPhone, though.....

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you might get into trouble tapping into someone else's broadband

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can run iPhone apps on the iPad.. They just look poop.

You have to have a pretty shoddy broadband connection for 3G to be better.

Most reactions

Latest posts