What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When to Turn Off iPad

jossef

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do most of you leave your iPad in standby or overnight do you actually turn it off? When should it be turned off?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only time it needs to rebooted is when you update iOS. I never turn mine off.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I puzzled over the same question when I first got the iPad. In fact, I've only switched it off once since getting it. I generally let it go to sleep by itself too (automatically after 10 minutes of no use).

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should drain the battery once per month.
No You should not.
It is only a recontamination in regard to a misreading of the charge left. (Stuck in 100% or something like that)
Electrically speaking, dis-charging is meaningless .

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They recommend that not so that the battery remains in tip top shape, but rather so that the OS reports most accurately the exact amount of battery life left in the battery. So basically, its useless unless you are either anal about your ipad being EXACTLY correct in its battery percentage reporting or you are having issues where it says like 20% left right before it dies.

Mossi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've only turned mine off once since I got it. I put it on charge every night so I can use it all the next day.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here are the pages from Apple regarding the charging of batteries.
Please note that you can get up to 1000 cycles, and more important a single cycle is the Accumulation of the charge.
Meaning if I charge every day 10% . It means within 10 days of such charging i make just one cycle

Apple - Batteries

and here is some more of that:
Apple - Batteries - iPad

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I leave mine on standby. It's one of the the best aspects of the iPad- being able to have it ready to go at all times.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I rarely do a full power down reboot of my iPad unless I find an App is acting up and rebooting clears the issue. Since I stopped using Safari I never have had an issue requiring a reboot. Go figure.

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love how half of the responses (including mine :p ) have nothing to with the op's question... He asked when should he turn it completely off, and a bunch of people start arguing over when to drain the battery and charging... Lol

Anyways, I don't think there's ever a need to, but I do mine every few days or so just cause I'm used to windows computers, and my ocdness makes it feel quicker upon booting back up.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never turn mine off and run the battery down once a month or so.

Most reactions

Latest posts