What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When I get my iPad, will I still need a smartphone?

MsTapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It occurred to me that when I get my 3G iPad, I won't need a smartphone anymore. Has anybody else switched to an ordinary phone?

eddkahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It occurred to me that when I get my 3G iPad, I won't need a smartphone anymore. Has anybody else switched to an ordinary phone?

I have the wifi iPad however even if I had the 3G it wouldn't replace my iPhone 4

Yes the iPad is portable but I can't take it EVERYWHERE it's nowhere near as portable as a smartphone

especially for tiny searches it seems just a lot more convenient

Of course it depends on the user, when I was in line at the apple store for the iPad 2 I was talking to someone who sold their smartphone as they had replaced their iPad 1 with one.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MsTapp said:

Is there such thing as an ordinary phone anymore?

Reaction score
I've considered it as even dumbphones can do Google search on a wap browser and many dumbphones have html browsers now
Pretty much anything you might NEED to do ,data wise, can be done on a lot of dumbphones but good luck finding a decent new one anymore. They are quickly going the way of the external antenna

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

nezing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still use my Smartphone,as I have 10 months on my contract to run.But will probably use it via "pay-as-you-go" afterwards.Wont "get rid of it" it though,unless I break or lose it.

Neil.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I would not get rid of my iPhone as I don't want to bring my iPad every time I'm on the road. That's why I got the wifi only iPad as my iPhone will always be with me, but not the iPad. When I travel with my iPad, i'm am using the iPhone to access the net via tethering. It's a matter of choice and flexibility.

Here in Canada, with Rogers, you can have several devices on the same data plan, so you only have one data plan. And I like listening to music or a movie discretly on some occasion. Hard to do with an iPad ;)

VicoPad addict!

briankeith513

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, definitelynot portable enough to replace the iphone or any othersmartphone. However, I want to know how much can I use the Ipad rather than my laptop ?

iChuckNorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. It's not as portable, or convenient. It's a great tool, but you still need a smart phone in some situations.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, heck yes! I have both an iPad and an iPhone. My iPad is Wifi only, but even if it weren't, I would still have both, as my iPhone is always with me. While I use the two very differently, they also are a mirror to each other at times too. If I'm in a waiting room, I'm not bringing my iPad with me, but my iPhone and games or books are. I can tolerate reading books for short bursts on the small screen, and games are fine on the small screen.

Most reactions

Latest posts