What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats on my iPad ?

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In iTunes, the colorful bar graph at the bottom shows in GB audio, video, Apps & other.
Whats "other" and where can I go see if anything I can delete.

Also - any way to show the used space without hovering over the bar?

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not seeing in the iTunes program Settings (then hopefully - General)

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Usually for me it's app data. Sometimes app data is put in the category of "apps" sometimes it is in "other".

On the iPad, go to settings > usage . This will take a few seconds to load depending on how many apps you have installed. If you want you can add up all the individual app storage shown and see if it is the same as what is listed under "apps" storage in iTunes.

Last edited:
OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Their are 10 apps under storage listed- 3 using over a Gig of storage.
The Total comes to 7.9GB, though in iTunes it shows as 8.01 GB
The 3 big culprits are:
Flixster at 2.6 GB
LA Times at 2.2 GB
Podcasts at 1.6 GB

(half of the Flixster must be from a movie I recently installed (the Dark Knght Rises) via Flixster/Ultra violet.
Odd that it does not show under "Movies" in the Desktop iTunes program.

I am not about to uninstall the Podcast App as that would wipe out my saved podcasts - yes?

But the LA Times? Will see what happens if I uninstall, then re-install.

Adding up the categories I mentioned from the iTunes program adds up to the total storage used.

The mystery of what is "other" still remains.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
sethm1 said:
Their are 10 apps under storage listed- 3 using over a Gig of storage.
The Total comes to 7.9GB, though in iTunes it shows as 8.01 GB
The 3 big culprits are:
Flixster at 2.6 GB
LA Times at 2.2 GB
Podcasts at 1.6 GB

(half of the Flixster must be from a movie I recently installed (the Dark Knght Rises) via Flixster/Ultra violet.
Odd that it does not show under "Movies" in the Desktop iTunes program.

I am not about to uninstall the Podcast App as that would wipe out my saved podcasts - yes?

But the LA Times? Will see what happens if I uninstall, then re-install.

Adding up the categories I mentioned from the iTunes program adds up to the total storage used.

The mystery of what is "other" still remains.

iTunes must be correct then. Some say turning the iPad off and on will help allocate the "other" space into its proper sections. But may I ask how much you have under "other"? Because there will always be something under the other section, but I have yet to figure out what it is for; maybe the OS?

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By uninstalling the LA Times App - I was able to free up GB space in both Apps & Other.

"Other" is now 3.18GB.
Apps usage went from 8.01 to 5.85GB.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sonicrobby said:
iTunes must be correct then. Some say turning the iPad off and on will help allocate the "other" space into its proper sections. But may I ask how much you have under "other"? Because there will always be something under the other section, but I have yet to figure out what it is for; maybe the OS?

You are correct in that the other portion of the memory contains the operating system. It also contains the stock apps, data, etc..

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, is there any way to delete unwanted data from "other" ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
sethm1 said:
So, is there any way to delete unwanted data from "other" ?

The other part of your iPad memory is not an area you can enter and delete what you want. The only way to delete anything from other is to delete an item that's storing data there, such as an unwanted app.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
catyyog01 said:
Yes,but there's some unwanted app can't be deleted.

Which app is it? The stock apps that come with a new iPad can't be deleted, if your unwanted app is one of those, you'll have to live with it. You can, however, place the app in a folder and hide it on the last page.

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Curious about the Podcast app.
If I delete it from the iPad, my actual podcasts are still safe as they are in iTunes, then when I reinstall the App all podcasts should be where they are supposed to - right? OR at least in theory...

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
sethm1 said:
Curious about the Podcast app.
If I delete it from the iPad, my actual podcasts are still safe as they are in iTunes, then when I reinstall the App all podcasts should be where they are supposed to - right? OR at least in theory...

If you delete the app, the podcasts will be deleted from the iPad. If you reinstall podcasts on the iPad, it will be empty. (Unless it has iCloud backup)

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you delete the app, the podcasts will be deleted from the iPad. If you reinstall podcasts on the iPad, it will be empty. (Unless it has iCloud backup)

Not sure if hte above answered my question which was -
If I delete it from the iPad, my actual podcasts are still safe as they are in iTunes, then when I reinstall the App all podcasts should return onto the iPad - yes ?

Most reactions