What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What size ipad?

Laban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How many Gb is available, is it 16 Gb on the 16 Gb model or is some used for the OS?

I planning on getting the 16 Gb but won't store music or movies and I guess the average app issn't using many Mb?

IOS 4.3 for the iPad is 597 MB.

Tim

Thank you! For me, the 16 Gb should be enough since I won't store movies on it.

iCrank

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad 1 64gb with about 7gb free. Almost 11000 mp3s and about 20 apps. I really don't know what to do besides surf and music. I use my iPhone 4 for everything else.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Going to get an ipad for Christmas and I'm wondering which size memory wise i should get. I'm going to have around 50 apps and 3 movies.

A movie in SD is about 1GB - depending on length, of course. Apps are completely impossible to predict. Some apps are large - say if they contain maps for navigation - and could be 600MB-1GB - but most are just a couple of MB.

Tim

Reaction score
Basementscientist said:
I'm trying to determine what size ipad2 to purchase. I will be using it for e-books, apps, internet and watching movies.

Can I watch movies stored on an SD card with the adapter, and get a smaller ipad?

Movies take up the largest space, ITunes SD movies are usually 1.5-1.9GB. Also some never games, as well as offline navigation apps will use up a fair bit of space.

Ebooks and browser don't take away enough space to factor them into this decision.

Regarding your last question, you can't play a file directly from an external source, it always gets copied into the app folder displaying the file. The only way around that is to jb and use ifile, which for iPad 2 is not an option, right now.

If you don't intend to store music on the device, 16GB may just be enough.
I have the 32gb version, where 15.9GB is filled with music and there is space for 3 SD movies.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
buy the highest capacity you can afford, why? you may not need that space now, but should you require more in the future, you can not add more memory

Surboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the iPad 1 with 16gb as it went down in price in the UK to £329 before the launch of the iPad 2. However after having downloaded quite a few apps and realising the brilliant multitude of things I can do with it I wish I had bought the 32gb version...in hindsight I would prefer to spend a bit more money now but have more storage for the future...

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
I was going to get the 32 GB, but they ran out on day 1, so of course I had to go up to the 64.

Glad I did, only have 31 GB left.
Just 2 movies, a lot of photos in a photo app, a hundred or so MP3s and 151 apps.

Sent from my iPad 3 using iPF

After almost a year of use I have exactly 2.3GB of free space left on my 64GB iPad and it has worked flawlessly regardless of the amount of space used. (P.S. Free space fluctuates depending on mood, activities planned, etc. If I'm travelling I'll have more movies than music. Normal weekdays, more music. etc.)

Currently -
Songs: 2,534
Videos: 47
Photos 83
Applications: 166

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Unfortunately, I can't "afford" any of them.

I was considering selling an organ, but I hear it's illegal in all but 1 state. ;-) ... Just kidding.

I just have to save my pennies, and hopefully get the 32GB model before the ipad8 comes out.

That's a real shame but by time the iPad8 comes out they'll just scan your eye to remove the cash from your bank account. Good luck saving up, BTW. Did you check the couch cushions? That's usually good for a buck forty or so...

Laban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was going to get the 32 GB, but they ran out on day 1, so of course I had to go up to the 64.

Just 2 movies, a lot of photos in a photo app, a hundred or so MP3s and 151 apps.

After almost a year of use I have exactly 2.3GB of free space left on my 64GB iPad and it has worked flawlessly regardless of the amount of space used. (P.S. Free space fluctuates depending on mood, activities planned, etc. If I'm travelling I'll have more movies than music. Normal weekdays, more music. etc.)

Currently -
Photos 83

Would you (or someone else with a lots of apps) mind sharing how many apps you have and how much space they use all together?

Would help me out a lot in my decision.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Laban said:
Would you (or someone else with a lots of apps) mind sharing how many apps you have and how much space they use all together?

84 apps, 17 videos, 27 photos, 64Gb model, with 50Gb free

haven't got round to putting everything onto it yet, i really should do, i've had the ipad 2 for long enough now lol

to be honest, better buying the largest capacity model that you can afford, best to have too much storage space, than not enough

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website

Currently -
Photos 83

Songs: 2,534 (Audio = 15.3 GB)
Videos: 47 (Video = 22.8GB)
Photos 83 (Photos = 0.20GB)
Applications: 166 (Apps = 17.3GB)
Books 349 (Books = 0.49GB)
(Other = 0.91GB)

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I gotta 64 wifi

59.1 actual gb

I catalog all my songs and run them at 128 bit rate so I got 2150 songs using 8.4 gb
150 apps using about 4.5 gb
iOS at .6 gb
Miscellaneous using rest + or -

Padi says I have 46.0 to go

I have like 200 movies, 50 are blu ray so space won't be in vain wgen I start traveling.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited:

OneMarcil

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Basementscientist said:
I'm trying to determine what size ipad2 to purchase. I will be using it for e-books, apps, internet and watching movies.

Can I watch movies stored on an SD card with the adapter, and get a smaller ipad?

I decided by thinking that 16gb would be too small and 64gb would never be used up by me so that is why I chose 32gb

Sent from my iPad 32gb WIFI 3G 1st generation.

Most reactions

Latest posts