What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Netflix on iPad Review

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dupont2005 said:
I never have a problem with video quality. Once or twice Netflix crashed altogether when I was watching a movie, but I haven't had an app that was crashproof yet and this one is not the worst offender by far. I do have gripes with it though, queue management is a pain because of how choppy the menu is. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my queue is perpetually full at nearly 500 movies. Either way, scrolling down to the bottom is a chore. Also, I have yet to successfully rate a movie with the iPad app. The viewing has been fine though and I have watched short TV shows and long movies on it.

Try the free app Iqueue. It is much easier to reorder and delete than in the Netflix app. I had a very long queue like you but deleted it down to a much more manageable number since I'm mainly interested in getting newer, noninstant movies on DVD. I increased my instant queue since I have a long history with Netflix and my recommendations tske me down more interesting paths by linking to links, etc.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
accordlayingkit said:
So with your Netflix account u jus play it on iPad and hOok apple tv up and it plays in full on your big screen with volume coming out of tv also?

Well no, not from the Ipad as you would with the cable. I can watch/stream Netflix to my Ipad and do frequently as I watch it as I ride my exercise bike. With the Apple TV you deal with Netflix directly from a very nice interface right on the screen via your router. I use my Ipad as a remote for the Apple TV with the remote app. You can also do a good bit more than just Netflix too--podcasts which I watch a good bit, Youtube, listen to music or watch videos from your computer, etc. Yes, the audio comes out of the TV or if you have a sound system you can run the audio through it. Very happy with a $100 purchase plus a $39 HDMI cable.

Diane

Last edited:

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm confused, as I was reading about the apple tv it described it as if I have an account with Netflix I could open Netflix app, select movie to watch then hit some sort of onscreen button and choose for it to play or stream through apple tv on my big screen. And I'm on my home wifi wireless network using a linksys wrt54g router

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well no, not from the Ipad as you would with the cable. I can watch/stream Netflix to my Ipad and do frequently as I watch it as I ride my exercise bike. With the Apple TV you deal with Netflix directly from a very nice interface right on the screen via your router. I use my Ipad as a remote for the Apple TV with the remote app. You can also do a good bit more than just Netflix too--podcasts which I watch a good bit, Youtube, listen to music or watch videos from your computer, etc. Yes, the audio comes out of the TV or if you have a sound system you can run the audio through it. Very happy with a $100 purchase plus a $39 HDMI cable.

Diane

Holy crap ... you must have purchased that cable at Radio Shack. It is good to know ahead of time that the Apple TV doesn't come with a cable though.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I understand now, it pulls the signal off my router on my home wireless, but do I even have to do anything on my home computer to watch Netflix on apple tv or it is just using my router for the signal or stream basically?

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For future reference, a $5 HDMI cable will work just as well as the $39 one from RS. For only $3.87 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 2ft 24AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI Cable w/ Net Jacket - Black | Premium 24AWG HDMI High Speed Certified Male to Male Cables They have longer sizes for a buck or two more if you need it.

HDMI is digital. It only sends 1's and 0's. It either works or doesn't work. Gold plating or other goodies added to the cable don't get you better 1's and 0's. My $5 cable has worked fine for several years.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DaveSt said:
Holy crap ... you must have purchased that cable at Radio Shack. It is good to know ahead of time that the Apple TV doesn't come with a cable though.

LOLOL. No, actually st Best Buy. Talked to someone I have dealt with there before and he said the cheap one would work fine with the Apple TV. The others were, as you know, MUCH more expensive.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bob Coxner said:
For future reference, a $5 HDMI cable will work just as well as the $39 one from RS. For only $3.87 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 2ft 24AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI Cable w/ Net Jacket - Black | Premium 24AWG HDMI High Speed Certified Male to Male Cables They have longer sizes for a buck or two more if you need it.

HDMI is digital. It only sends 1's and 0's. It either works or doesn't work. Gold plating or other goodies added to the cable don't get you better 1's and 0's. My $5 cable has worked fine for several years.

Thanks for the link. That's what I was told but that was the cheapest they had -actually it was $35 snd I wanted it that day. Might have waited for a $5 one though LOL

Diane

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
accordlayingkit said:
I think I understand now, it pulls the signal off my router on my home wireless, but do I even have to do anything on my home computer to watch Netflix on apple tv or it is just using my router for the signal or stream basically?

You've got it. You don't have to do anything with computer to watch Netflix except have a Netflix account. Just your router. To access your computer you set home sharing. Oh, forgot you can access Flickr also plus your Photo app via Air Play, net radio. Quite nice. Don't forget you can use the Ipad as your remote and work with gestures. You need to install Remote from the app store.

Diane

Last edited:

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have no issues using netflix on both iphone and ipad, they play perfectly fine

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try the free app Iqueue. It is much easier to reorder and delete than in the Netflix app. I had a very long queue like you but deleted it down to a much more manageable number since I'm mainly interested in getting newer, noninstant movies on DVD. I increased my instant queue since I have a long history with Netflix and my recommendations tske me down more interesting paths by linking to links, etc.
I think I used to have that on my iPod before Netflix became available, I think I'll try it again, should be free to re-download anyway. Thanks:D

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How does this whole Queue thing work? I'm new to Netflix and is this only good for people that actually get the DVDs and waiting to get them in the mail when they come out? Guess if you stream online only every things up for grabs?

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I paid $5 for my HDMI and it works just as good as the one my brother got for $60, can you say rip off lol

Most reactions