What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Size IPAD should I buy?

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My rule when buying a device that I can't add memory to later is to buy it with the maximum already in it. In this case, that'd be 64gb.
That was definately my plan while waiting in the Best Buy line on launch day. But the 64gb 3g models were all sold out when it came my turn. I wanted it then and not have to wait, so I opted for the 32gb 3g, of which only a couple were left.

Right out of the box my unit was showing 29gb available, which I assume is iOS taking the missing 3gb. Not planning on adding music really, as that's my phone's job. So apps, games, books and videos will likely be my major content stored. I'm hoping the 32gb will be enough for me.

Lifet1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At LEAST 32GB

Ill go for 64 GB.

Reason? Well the most games coming out will change from like flash games, to like real games, they will become more complicated, alot better in graphics and a hell lot of 3D games will show up in the future.

And 3D Games on IPad 1/IPhone are 550MB - 700MB Size, which arent made of much playtime, but those will come, games with up to 2 gb of memory i bet. And THAT takes your 32GB down real quick.

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
9.5 Inches x 7.30 Inches.........

On a more serious note.... Answer yourself a few questions:

1. How much music are you going to put on it (are you really going to load 11gb on it.... iPad is impractical as a portable music player)

2. How many Apps are you going to load on it?

3. How many movies are you going to load on it?

4. What are you going to use it for?

For me, I went initially with a 32GB iPad, which was great. I wanted it for some music (less than GB), mostly movies, and limited apps. I needed it for movies because I am often on planes for more than 8 hours at a time. I found that 32GB was actually barely enough to serve my portable media needs for longer than week trips overseas, so when I bought my iPad 2 I went with the 64GB. Really a great deal since the incremental cost increase was only $100

Larry Hitchens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've looked at and actually downloaded a few apps already (24) waiting for my local store to restock the IPAD. I have 11 Gig of music on my Cowon J3 player. I was planning on getting a 16 G Ipad but now I am worried it may be too small. How much room does a Movie take on Itunes? Does itunes compress music and video? I also want GPS are those maps optimized for size. Just looking for a comment on weather my apps,GPS and a movie or two will fit in 5 gig.

Here's something you might want to look at a device called AIRSTASH
at airstash.com. Basically its a $100 device that connects to the IPAD via wifi (NOT BLUETOOTH) and you put in memory cards as many as you want and store your information on the card not on the IPAD device therefore you do not need a lot of ipad storage capacity and you can use as many cards as you want with the airstash, so maybe storing your music on one card and movies on another card etc etc
Larry [email protected]:)

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't forget the option of streaming from your desktop/laptop using AirVideo. It works remarkably well and saves so much storage space.

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The above 2 options will work well if you're at home. But if your travelling or away from home, then size all comes down to what you want to put on it.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to the 16GB. When I'm out I use the app store as a "cloud". Once you buy an app you can re-download again forever for free. I pull down the app I need at that moment. This allows me to not have more than 16GB at any one time.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How much storage capacity ... Thread title ambiguous

I've looked at and actually downloaded a few apps already (24) waiting for my local store to restock the IPAD. I have 11 Gig of music on my Cowon J3 player. I was planning on getting a 16 G Ipad but now I am worried it may be too small. How much room does a Movie take on Itunes? Does itunes compress music and video? I also want GPS are those maps optimized for size. Just looking for a comment on weather my apps,GPS and a movie or two will fit in 5 gig.

32 GB is optimum for cost (your price) ... bigger is better like 64, because over the long haul it will read/write faster ... Read up on SSD storage devices. Buy the most you can afford.

I know you are trying to decide do I spend $500, $600 or $700 (or add another $130 for 3G)?

Plan on backup storage ... a la mobileme or SugarSync. If you don't back up the day will come when you wish you had.

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's better to have more club, than not enough when the hazzard is in front of the green....

Get the 64G, wifi, 3G, the equivalent of the "easy" button...:D

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kctay said:
It's better to have more club, than not enough when the hazzard is in front of the green....

Get the 64G, wifi, 3G, the equivalent of the "easy" button...:D

Yeah....if the hazard is in front of the green it doesn't matter how much club I have cos hazard here I come!

The Archangel

ThePhotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has a 1st generation and I have the 2nd, both are 32 gb and we've never ran of memory.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions