What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What music are you listening to right now!?!?

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I never could come to grips with such a severely scalloped fretboard but always love listening to Yngwie, especially without a band - just him and his Fender awesome!

I find a fretboard is a personal thing. Personally, I prefer a slightly wider (banjo) fretboard because it is easier to keep from dampening strings.

I also prefer a radius rather than flat.

To each his or her own. All I know is you must learn to pick and grin on the banjo. Guitars were fine back in their day, but 2013 will be the Year of the Banjo.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bob Maxey said:
I find a fretboard is a personal thing. Personally, I prefer a slightly wider (banjo) fretboard because it is easier to keep from dampening strings.

To each his or her own. All I know is you must learn to pick and grin on the banjo. Guitars were fine back in their day, but 2013 will be the Year of the Banjo.

I didn't know there was such a spread in price. Is there as much of a quality difference with price as a guitar?

Attachments

• image-37778454.jpg
    image-37778454.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 62

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well the blackberry user can be the kid on the porch...

Is that a Deliverance reference? I hope not because I hate those references. I want to seperate Deliverence from the banjo. Although the song is a great duet between guitar and Baner. We call them Banjers, by the way. The word Banjo sounds too citified. Hoooo Weeeeeeeee.

Ever since the Remington 12 gauge presided over my wedding when I married my first cousin, there have been uncalled for Banjo and hillbilly jokes. It is not like I drink shine every day because that is just silly and there might be revenuers listening.

Here is the band we hired to prove we are upscale and not altogether without class:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't know there was such a spread in price. Is there as much of a quality difference with price as a guitar?

I'll tell you, it is much like in the guitar world. Fender and Gibson both make great banjos. There are new instruments as well as restored and second-hand versions and the price can be much different. But one must be careful because a $5,000.00 banjo is much cheaper than a used version of the same model that is an unplayable POS.

A Gibson RB-250 is around $3,500.00 (or more than $50,000.00 for a custom job like one with Earl’s name on it) On eBay, an RB will cost you perhaps a grand. If the banjo is proper and the seller is not a crook, that is a pretty good price.

That said, I can be happy with a cheap banjo like a Deering Goodtime because it is well designed and well made; it is a perfectly lovely instrument.

You can order a custom OME, Deering and other custom banjo in the really high part of the price range. And you can always order custom options from most makers, including custom fretboards or different scale lengths.

It really depends on what you want to spend. Considering the cost for an unmolested early Les Paul where prices are WAY, WAY up there, there is a great instrument out there for far less money.

You can buy the aforementioned Goodtime for three hundred or so or a long neck Deering 5-string in the "cheaper" end of a much higher price range. A $13,000.00 stock Deering is cheap compared to what sits at the top end, but very costly compared to other instruments in Deering’s line.

For example, the Deering Banjosarus weighs in at over sixty grand.

There are many smaller makers making great instruments as well. Many luthiers out there in the instrument world can build anything you want.

Finally, there are vintage instruments. Lots of rare banjos (and guitars, harps, drums, synthesizers, flutes and pianos, aplenty) out there but I will not buy one unless I can see it in person. I almost bought one a few years ago but Google tossed many warnings about the seller. Some might say thirty grand is allot to pay for a banjo and the last thing you want to end up with is a bad instrument.

Last edited:

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Bob Maxey said:

Bob I know I can't change your mind about the six string but I'm certain you appreciate slide guitar with open tuning.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The lead guitar asked the banjo player why he was making such a commotion and interrupting rehearsal.
The banjo player said, "The bass player detuned one of my strings."
"Well, fix it so we can continue."
"I can't."
"Why not?"
"Because he won't tell me which one!"

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Most reactions

Latest posts