What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the BEST Tablet To Buy?

danielmramos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds like a total waste of money. Use your $500 bucks and buy another iPad or buy some iPad accessories.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've said this before and it has to be said again: reading a spec sheet and a few reviews is NOT the same thing as using and living with the device for a couple months. I researched tablets for a while and settled on the iPad 2. Even then, it took me a while to fully understand how everything worked and to accept the good with the bad. This works both ways though - there are some positive things that I didn't know about that surprised me so that's cool.

I agree that getting hands-on experience is very necessary to knowing whether or not a person will like a device. It is why so many people stay with the iPad. The problem is when people come here and complain about features that Apples has made no secret about. The high number of people who come here and want to use flash and are surprise that it is not supported. The lack of GPS with the wifi models, is another. The list goes on with striking regularity.

andrzejls

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's any easy answer andrzejls. When I go to the supermarket to buy a bag of chips, I have three choices: 1) potato based (Pringles), 2) corn based (Fritos), 3) wheat based (Giordanos). Then I have to choose what flavor: "regular" or bar-b-que or sea salt and garlic, or Parmesean, etc. Once I choose it is easy enough to buy that bag of chips. Even if I didn't care for my selection, I can throw the bag of chips away.

On the other hand, buying a tablet and walking out of the store with out first researching and logging on to forums like this one and asking for in depth guidance on 'the best non-iPad' tablet to buy is as the saying goes, a pound of potatoes foolish and a bag of chips wise. ehhh?
MattIM, you made very wise choice asking the question on this forum. Point I was trying to make is: what is most important is what you like. Buy Android (make sure you can return it), play with it and see if it is for you. Mind you, not all Android tablets are equal. Transformer Prime is a power house, but has some issues (GPS mainly, but you can get free dongle from Asus). TF300 is OK. Galaxy is very good. I would stay away from other manufacturers. Hope that this help you. Good luck.

andrzejls

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe if you where buying a $500 bag of chips that you would be eating for 2 years you might consider doing a bit more research on it's pros and cons before you just put one in the basket?
Just saying....

zphone, ever heard of "return policy" ?. Buy it, try it and if do not like it RETURN. It is very wise to ask but nothing beats actual, personal experience of using device.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
andrzejls said:
zphone, ever heard of "return policy" ?. Buy it, try it and if do not like it RETURN. It is very wise to ask but nothing beats actual, personal experience of using device.

You'd better be sure that return policy is iron clad and that you actually get your money back not some in store credit minus a restocking fee.

Otherwise I agree nothing beets hands on experience.

But you know what they say, those who don't learn from others experience will repeat others mistakes. (well not sure if they say that, but just thought it sounded appropriate.)

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been playing around with the Windows 8 preview edition. I looks like Microsoft will attempt to have one OS interface for desktops, laptops, and pads. If they can pull it off, it's going to be a real advantage for users who don't want to learn multiple operating systems.

The interface is slick and some of the demo apps look great. It has the potential of eliminating the limitations of the iPad. If they can provide all the features without significantly increasing the size and weight, and provide good battery life, it would be worth considering.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Billee said:
I've been playing around with the Windows 8 preview edition. I looks like Microsoft will attempt to have one OS interface for desktops, laptops, and pads. If they can pull it off, it's going to be a real advantage for users who don't want to learn multiple operating systems.

The interface is slick and some of the demo apps look great. It has the potential of eliminating the limitations of the iPad. If they can provide all the features without significantly increasing the size and weight, and provide good battery life, it would be worth considering.

I think there is a strong chance that win8 will be a flop. It will be a repeat of Vista.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I may as well write my signature line now in readiness for the Windows Tablet forum that we will have in the fullness of time.

Sent from my iPad 2 because my 3 week old museum piece locked up for no good reason while I was composing an answer telling you that there are 746 documented reasons why Windows crashes. Congratulations on discovering the 747th.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry but

iOS is derived from Mac OS X, with which it shares the Darwin foundation, and is therefore a Unix operating system.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mentioning Windows on this forum is like walking into a Baptist convention while wearing a devil costume. What happened to the socially enlightened and inclusive Apple user profile?

I may as well write my signature line now in readiness for the Windows Tablet forum that we will have in the fullness of time.

Sent from my iPad 2 because my 3 week old museum piece locked up for no good reason while I was composing an answer telling you that there are 746 documented reasons why Windows crashes. Congratulations on discovering the 747th.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

andrzejls

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry but

iOS is derived from Mac OS X, with which it shares the Darwin foundation, and is therefore a Unix operating system.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF
you are 100% correct. Linux is based on UNIX Berkley system5, if my memory serves me right. Most of UNIX "flavors" are based on it.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Billee said:
Mentioning Windows on this forum is like walking into a Baptist convention while wearing a devil costume. What happened to the socially enlightened and inclusive Apple user profile?

I'm not an expert but having used Windows for awhile and the frustration it has given me especially Vista, you would not ask this question! This is however my own opinion and yes, other people have a love for Windows laptops. I do not! I can't wait to throw my laptop into the skip and spend vast amounts of money on a MacBook Air or anything that has the apple name attached.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts