What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the BEST Tablet To Buy?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only tablet I own is an iPad. I'm pretty confident I know this device pretty well. Lately, I've noticed many discussions about the iPad iOS versus the Android. These discussions have piqued my curiosity. I recently got my bonus and after my bills have been paid, my budget issues resolved, and funding for future vacations banked, I have US$500 to "play" with. I want to get me an Android OS tablet so that I can see for myself what all the hubbub is with Android.

What would YOU consider to be the best and most formidable android competitor to the new generation 16gig wifi plus 4g(?) iPad?

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will most likely need to wait for the new line of Galaxy tabs to come out. I would say issues set aside that the Transformer Prime is the only real competitor. However, it is not 4G LTE ready. So I would say wait for the new Galaxy or the Transformer Infinity Tab which is said to have 4G available when released. Both should be summer sometime.

Shylock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No doubt about it in my mind. The Samsung galaxy tablet. Either the 10.1 or the 8.9, which is honestly sorta cool and a more interesting size.....but there is supposed to also be a new galaxy tablet coming out, soon. But I have been using the iPad for awhile and like it, just the file transferring and such is annoying to me to no end, and well....it is way more expensive too. But this is a iPad forum, so out of respect, I'll say 'other than a iPad' I'd do with the Samsung galaxy for sure.

Shylock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shakes fist at Seneca for beating his response while he was typing it.

OP
MattIM

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick replies. Based on what you both indicated, I found this list that showed all of the tablets available. Some on the list I've never heard of and some of them, from Lenovo, Toshiba, and Sony, I didn't know those companies ventured into the tablet space. I learn something new everyday!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105...ng-tablets/?tag=contentBody;contentHighlights

After perusing this list, how come one manufacturer can offer various sizes of tablets and different versions of Andriod? For example, Archos offers, Android, Honeycomb, and Ice Cream Sandwich. Are all three OS compatible? If you buy an app for one model and a different version of Android, can you use the same app for another model but on a Honeycomb? When the new Samsung model comes out in the summer time, will all of Samsung's tablets be offered the same version software?

Admittedly, my questions are based on my experience with the iPad. No wonder, Android people feel like they have choices, but with so many choices, how can you find which one is right for you?

Last edited:

Northus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the first Asus Transformer and in contrast to my iPad it doesn't run very smoothly. Lots of annoying lag when writing (to the point where I refused to use it to write forum posts, so I never got to use the external keyboard much, awesome idea though and I quickly got an external keyboard for my iPad), crashes, mis-rendered sites, slow loading sites etc.

I also never really got into apps because I couldn't find any. The android market can't (couldn't?) do tablet searches. Got a few smartphone apps that looked really ugly. There are indirect ways to find tablet apps though (search on "honeycomb" or check lists on the net etc), but there really are much fewer high-quality apps available. On the iPad otoh my biggest problem is almost going crazy from all the suberb apps I can't choose between.

Last edited:

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick replies. Based on what you both indicated, I found this list that showed all of the tablets available. Some on the list I've never heard of and some of them, from Lenovo, Toshiba, and Sony, I didn't know those companies ventured into the tablet space. I learn something new everyday!

CNET looks at current and upcoming tablets | Crave - CNET

After perusing this list, how come one manufacturer can offer various sizes of tablets and different versions of Andriod? For example, Archos offers, Android, Honeycomb, and Ice Cream Sandwich. Are all three OS compatible? If you buy an app for one model and a different version of Android, can you use the same app for another model but on a Honeycomb? When the new Samsung model comes out in the summer time, will all of Samsung's tablets be offered the same version software?

Admittedly, my questions are based on my experience with the iPad. No wonder, Android people feel like they have choices, but with so many choices, how can you find which one is right for you?

What you just indicated is one of my beefs and main issue with Android right now. Developers have to make apps compatible with many versions of Android software and hardware. I would only look at tablets that are running Honeycomb or ICS as those are true tablet OS's. I haven't heard much about the sony tablets but I would stay away from the others, you will be very disappointed in those after using an iPad for so long.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your post asks what is the best tablet to buy. Technically, IMHO, you already own it. Until Microsoft comes out with their mobile OS for tablets, you are stuck with Android if you want somthing other than an iPad. I have found Android to be an acceptable, but limited OS for smartphones. For a tablet, it lacks a lot of what is needed to be competitive. Again, my opinion. As far as brands go, I would stick with Samsung or Asus. I would try out as many of them as possible, and for as long as possible.

Shylock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, they are all different versions of android OS. Honeycomb is 3.0, ICS is 4.0. You can load ICS for instance on the galaxy tablet 10.1 or 8.9. I have to admit I haven't tried the ASUS. It may be better, but I say go out and buy one from a place that has a good return policy of like 30. Days. This isn't a small amount of money....you should see what you like. With my Samsung galaxy tab, I use amazons kindle service....thousands of ebooks, many of which for free. The first month you sign up, you get free premium for a month which allows thousands more ebooks to 'borrow' for free, as well as free movie stream/etc. and you can plug it into your computer, and upload files to it. Movie files, pictures, whatever files you want, even use it as a 32 GB USB storage between different computers. Go ahead give me a try. And make a choice. I have to say, I like how thenipad runs....it is just other things that are s annoying to me. I hate proprietary stuff first of all.....it stifles creativity and tinkering to me. And if I lay down $800 for something I wanna do whatever I want to it...It is mine after all.....and people say things like "it isn't a pc, you can't expect it to be!" we'll, whatever....but it costs more then a pc, so I think it should do a darn lot. We are talking 2-3 car payments for the ave. person here.....

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you want one now I say consider the Asus TF300. It is a lower cost version of the Prime that has a non-metal housing, so all the internal antennas work and wifi range is better and faster compared to the Prime (but the screen is not as good). But personally I would wait for one of the tabs with the 1080p screens to show up this summer.

Also, for Android tablets that are thin, you end up with issues, from a usability standpoint, because those ports and a thin tablet don't really go together well. Lots of people don't like to mention the "dirty" aspects of ownership after they have paid their money because they want to feel good about their purchase. Considering this, The Acer brand is best because they are a bit thick and heavier, but the ports on the sides mesh into a flat surface rather than a curved one. I could consider the Acer A510, assuming I were to buy now. Acer should be offering a 1080p version this summer, too.

The downside to all Android tablets other than the kindle fire is that getting support will be a royal pain in the backside. Amazon is the only tablet maker that has a chance of matching the total ownership experience that Apple provides to its customers. And don't expect good resale value from any of the Android tabs.

Frankly, I own both iOS and Android tablets (Acer A500, Amazon Kindle Fire, and I had a Nook Color but gave it away). I don't find the addition of ports to be such a big deal. And I'm a digital hoarder in the sense that I own lots and lots of storage. I'm willing to bet that GB for GB, I'm in the top % of people here in terms of total storage owned. All of the port issues have easy workarounds. I think it is really sad that ICS is so scarce, as it has been out for a while. You'd think all tab makers would be rushing to get it on all of their tablets, but that's not happening. Too many cooks in the kitchen, if you ask me. It makes for a totally messy situation.

andrzejls

iPF Noob
Reaction score

CNET looks at current and upcoming tablets | Crave - CNET

In regards to your question about choices. What do you do when you are in supermarket looking on bags of chips?. Do you go home without buying any because you had "too many choices" or you make decision and buy one that you like most.

drsas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have both i pad 1 and galaxy tab and i prefer galaxy tab by far android is much better than ios.
all apple products are silly and have many limitations and i wonder why people still buying i pad and i phone.

altimax98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly having both I wouldn't recommend buying an android tablet except in two situations.

1: you have need for a laptop'ish device with physical keyboard. In that case I'd recommend a Asus Transformer.

2: buy a 'midsize' tablet. Check out the new Samsung 7.0Plus a $250 tablet that supports the full android experience unlike a kindle fire or nook tablet. You'll find that the portability of the smaller size is a HUGE benefit.

If you buy a full size android tablet I feel you will be disappointed in the app select like noted above. It is very sad considering how great iPad apps are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
MattIM

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
andrzejls said:
In regards to your question about choices. What do you do when you are in supermarket looking on bags of chips?. Do you go home without buying any because you had "too many choices" or you make decision and buy one that you like most.

That's any easy answer andrzejls. When I go to the supermarket to buy a bag of chips, I have three choices: 1) potato based (Pringles), 2) corn based (Fritos), 3) wheat based (Giordanos). Then I have to choose what flavor: "regular" or bar-b-que or sea salt and garlic, or Parmesean, etc. Once I choose it is easy enough to buy that bag of chips. Even if I didn't care for my selection, I can throw the bag of chips away.

On the other hand, buying a tablet and walking out of the store with out first researching and logging on to forums like this one and asking for in depth guidance on 'the best non-iPad' tablet to buy is as the saying goes, a pound of potatoes foolish and a bag of chips wise. ehhh?

OP
MattIM

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seadog said:
Your post asks what is the best tablet to buy. Technically, IMHO, you already own it. Until Microsoft comes out with their mobile OS for tablets, you are stuck with Android if you want somthing other than an iPad. I have found Android to be an acceptable, but limited OS for smartphones. For a tablet, it lacks a lot of what is needed to be competitive. Again, my opinion. As far as brands go, I would stick with Samsung or Asus. I would try out as many of them as possible, and for as long as possible.

Trying very hard not to be iPad centric, I'm really curious about the iPad alternatives and learning what the difference is between the two. Sea dog, you mentioned the new Windows 8 tablet coming towards the end of 2012, I saw on the list I linked to, that Lenovo was going to offer a Windows based tablet, according to that list, this tablet would be over US$1000! I'm wondering if that tablet and that OS would give users the ability to migrate their Windows knowledge to the use of that tablet?

Most reactions

Latest posts