What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the BEST Tablet To Buy?

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
andrzejls said:
In regards to your question about choices. What do you do when you are in supermarket looking on bags of chips?. Do you go home without buying any because you had "too many choices" or you make decision and buy one that you like most.

Maybe if you where buying a $500 bag of chips that you would be eating for 2 years you might consider doing a bit more research on it's pros and cons before you just put one in the basket?
Just saying....

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Windows is moving away from the OS so many people are familar with. For Apple users, it will be like the move from OS 9 to OS X, a dramatic change. If what I write seems a little awkward, my apologies, but there is a lot of information out there.

Apple: When Apple developed the iPhone, they created iOS to work with it. They also had been working on the iPad for almost a decade, so they knew it was in the pipeline. Therefore, they designed iOS with the ability to move to a larger format. Decades of experience with minimalist screen design worked for them in developing iOS. With iTunes already a big thing with the iPods, it was easy to decide to go with the app approach rather than widgets. Apple also recognized that one of the headaches of computer systems was the risk of downloading software from the internet. That was a main reason they went with a closed system. Apple is a control freak, but in some ways that works to our advantage. You do not need a lot of visible security at a beach party, but you want it at a nuclear power plant. Where your mobile device fits between those two extremes, can vary very much, depending on personal opinion.

Microsoft: I do not know a lot about Win 8 yet, but it will be designed from the beginning for those who use Windows and are familar with it. Microsoft's approach is different. They will have a mobile OS and a desktop OS. Where they differ from Apple and Google, is they are going to make the tablet version a derivative of the desktop OS. The idea is that people are fustrated with the lack of being able to use MS Office with their tablets and want a more full featured experience. In theory, it sounds good. The problem is that the system will require a much more powerful processor, lots more storage, and other amenities. My personal thought is that tablets are not ready for that and battery life will suffer. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I doubt that it will be a neutral subject. I forsee some of people loving it, while others hate it. It will probably be geared to commercial users, and be too expensive for the average person. My big concern is that MS will leverage their lock on business and government users with MS Office. If they make Win 8 the only way to get Office on a tablet, they could force a lot of companies to forgo other devices. However, MS has lots of experience with skirting anti-monopoly laws and could bring out a iOS version that is just enough to keep the regulators at bay. I would also expect that MS will maintain a locked down OS for security reasons. At the very least, expect apps to require a security certificate before they can be downloaded or used.

Google: When the smartphones began to hit the market, Google wanted to become a big player. Without any real experience in designing operating systems, they decided to take an old free universal OS base (Java) and make it into a mobile system. Java is a very old format designed for web use, and not the easiest program to use. And not every needed component was included under the open license provisions. While Sun Microsystems was not interested in patent protection, Oracle has bought them out, and they are interested in receiving patent royalties from Google. Google is gaining on OS development, but it is like updating a mobile home. You can do a lot, but you still are going to have a poor foundation that is not going to hold up in a crises. One thing that I really dislike about Android, is that in many cases, if you buy a device, you will not be able to use another version of Android. Plus the Android experience is different on each device, because the OS has to be modified for each device manufacturer. A few other items: Android devices usually use 16:9 screens as opposed to the 4:3 iPads. Great for watching videos, but poor for most everything else. Plus, you can have a larger rated screen that has less area. A 10.1" screen at 16:9 is almost 10% smaller than the iPad 9.7". My biggest gripe is that you do not have a central ecosystem to deal with. With iPads, Apple takes care of software and hardware issues. If you have a problem, it is easier to find a dedicated repair person for the iPad than for any other tablet. With the Android, or other similar devices, if you have a problem, you can get into a tangle between software and hardware. What do you do with an open device that crashes due to an app you downloaded? It is not as bad as it used to be, but I remember the early days when you might have several vendors to deal with and no one would take responsibility for failures. It was like buying a car and the engine, transmission, radio, tires, and bumpers all had to be handled by their own vendors. It was those types of problems that lured me to Apple twenty years ago. It is much better now, but there are still issues with a lack continuity between software and hardware.

This is just my way of seeing the issues between the three main competitors in the tablet market. If I was Google, I would be working on an OS that does not use Java as a base. However, I do not think that Google has the ability to make the long term commitment needed to make it happen.

OP
MattIM

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow, Seadog, I think you earned your title of SUPER moderator today. Your insight is very helpful and makes a lot of sense. With your comment I have a better understanding of how we all have arrived at this juncture. I'll certainly keep your words in mind as I try to find that worthy Android based iPad competitor. Or for that matter, Windows based tablet.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is not like buying a bag of chips, nor is what he is doing an impulse buy. MattlM is making a decision to broaden his knowledge and he apparently is doing his research. If he can do so without financial fuss, I see no reason to be negative. You want to talk impulse purchases, I once went to see about trading in a 83 Crown Vic on a newer sedan. I saw a 87 Dodge Daytona on the showroom and fell in love with it. I love the car, but traded it in before it hit 50,000 miles. Windshield replaced, power steering replaced, dead mouse removed from vent system, windshield and all windows replaced, and repainted three times. After all that, I gave up and moved on. The young couple that bought the car had more luck. It outlasted their marriage vows.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agree with Seadog. We have seen plenty of people (even on this forum) who purchased an iPad before researching the capabilities against their wants and needs only to find out it doesn't meet their criteria, then for some reason decide to blame the device.

bassman99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, it comes down to:
  • Cost
  • Screen Resolution
  • What I can do
I went iPad, in spite of severe limitations, because I got the most "bang for the buck" for screen resolution, at the expense of what I can do with the device. I shopped *very* carefully. What I really wanted was a small laptop with great resolution, but the price was too high.

I've long been frustrated that laptop screen resolution went terribly down-hill when the industry moved to wide-screen. Common resolutions now are worse than 5-6 years ago, per the laptops I've had over the years.

In reading, it looks like the new Ivy Bridge from Intel will provide the GPU required for higher resolution in a small package. Based on what I'm starting to see announced, it looks like future options will be much more numerous. Hopefully, LCD (and related) technology will come down in price too.

Personally, I'll "stay put" with my new iPad this year (and enjoy my new "kick-back device" very much!), but next year, "all bets are off" as options increase, and I find something that is more useful when I'm away from WiFi...

For me, the iPad is just a "stop-gap" solution, until $499 buys a 128Mb unit, and I can dump my iPod Classic, or Apple loosens-up on the software design, and the need for a laptop is lessened.

Last edited:

Northus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
altimax98 said:
Honestly having both I wouldn't recommend buying an android tablet except in two situations.

1: you have need for a laptop'ish device with physical keyboard. In that case I'd recommend a Asus Transformer.

That's what I was thinking when I got a Transformer, but six months later I still had to get an iPad because I couldn't stand all its little annoyances (lag, crashes etc, people in the Transformer forum reported similar things), plus the general lack of apps. There are physical keyboards to iPad too, I'm writing this on one (the integration is not as neat though, the Transformer is clearly built with a keyboard in mind, which is a really cool idea, also I have no experience with the successor Prime.)

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To the OP,
If you have an IPad or an Android tablet, buying the other is (imo) a huge waste of money. You will not find enough differences to keep you interested in both. You'll gravitate to one or the other and your second choice will end up collecting dust.

Personally, I'd choose one of the two and then grab a slate PC or laptop for those times you really need to do work on a tight deadline.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Android is terrible, IMO. Dumped my tablet for an iPad 2, never looked back. Even hate the android phone i'm stuck with for 2 years.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since we are talking tablets in this thread....I just thought I'd mention that Acer just released the ICS (Android 4.0.3) for my Acer Iconia Tab A500. Playing with it now.

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Android tablets are good when comparing hardware etc to the iPad, but the apps suck. The problem is most of them were designed for a phone, not a tablet. Until the standard of apps is raised significantly, iPad will always win imho.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Since we are talking tablets in this thread....I just thought I'd mention that Acer just released the ICS (Android 4.0.3) for my Acer Iconia Tab A500. Playing with it now.

Cool, been waiting for that. Thanks.

freddmc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In anticipation of buying a smartphone I bought a Motorola Xoom tablet because I wanted to get a feel for the android os. And I bought it from Costco because I knew I could take it back with no hassle. I had it for 3 days and absolutely hated it. I couldn't figure anything out on it and when it froze I said the hell with it and took it back. Then I bought an iphone 4S. I was, and am still, in love with this damn phone. Its easy to figure out how to do things and just plain easy to use. So just this week I also bought the new ipad and, of course, its similar to the iphone in ease of use. And I just mastered(I think) how to use Keynote. As far as the android stuff is concerned I kinda like the names they use like Ice Cream sandwich and android but that is all I like.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
seneca18 said:
Agree with Seadog. We have seen plenty of people (even on this forum) who purchased an iPad before researching the capabilities against their wants and needs only to find out it doesn't meet their criteria, then for some reason decide to blame the device.

I've said this before and it has to be said again: reading a spec sheet and a few reviews is NOT the same thing as using and living with the device for a couple months. I researched tablets for a while and settled on the iPad 2. Even then, it took me a while to fully understand how everything worked and to accept the good with the bad. This works both ways though - there are some positive things that I didn't know about that surprised me so that's cool.

One thing to comment on as well: Microsoft doesn't skirt around any laws. They are just very smart about how they release stuff and it seems to anger people. Honestly, isn't Apple a little shady sometimes with how their stuff ends up being incredibly proprietary and difficult to deal with? That all being said, I enjoy products from both Apple and Microsoft and I hope they both keep doing what they are doing. Th competition between them is good for us.

Most reactions

Latest posts