What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is DELL thinking ? Ipad Fail??

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Trky said:
1. What issue did you have with skype? There are two people in my office with a Galaxy S phone (sprint and tmobile) and they both run skype just fine. It was probably user error. I run skype on my droid x and I had it on my Nexus 1, Motorolla cliq, and G1.

2. There are many ways to backup your phone. Did you look for one? Your contacts are automatically synced to your email account. There are apps you can use to backup all of your apps and system settings and restore them with the push of one or two buttons. It's very simple.

3. Your friend did it wrong then. I upgraded my droid x last night and from start to finish it took a whole 5 minutes and I was back to just the way I was before I upgraded. Contacts, settings, apps, all installed without me doing anything other than upgrading.

My only experience is with that Galaxy S, and I was talking only about that device. The case of Skype was that it would load, but not connect. This was a few months ago, maybe it has been fixed. But that issue was reported on Skype forum at that time. As for backups/restores/upgrades, my friend and I look at the tool provided by Samsung, and after a lot of reading and searching, it was clear that the tool was not able to do it. We did not checked if any third party was doing that. We did the upgrade together, following instructions... And everything was gone. Again, that was with the Galaxy S, don't know about DroidX or other brand. Anyway, if the tools are available, Samsung did not provided them, nor any documentation. And my friend is far from a geek, she just wants it to work. I cannot imagine her doing that kind of search, she's not even able to install a printer driver from the net ;). If I had the time, maybe I would have found the tools you are talking about. Or I would have made them ;) (look for jSymphonic/NWE00X MP3 Manager or WebcamStudio...)

I'm not saying android is bad, but I think manufacturers are not doing something right. As I said, i'm a long time Linux user, and I know my way around that system. I'm just surprised to see what is happening with Android, since it's started from the culture of Linux...

VicoPad addict!

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trky said:
1. What issue did you have with skype? There are two people in my office with a Galaxy S phone (sprint and tmobile) and they both run skype just fine. It was probably user error. I run skype on my droid x and I had it on my Nexus 1, Motorolla cliq, and G1.

2. There are many ways to backup your phone. Did you look for one? Your contacts are automatically synced to your email account. There are apps you can use to backup all of your apps and system settings and restore them with the push of one or two buttons. It's very simple.

3. Your friend did it wrong then. I upgraded my droid x last night and from start to finish it took a whole 5 minutes and I was back to just the way I was before I upgraded. Contacts, settings, apps, all installed without me doing anything other than upgrading.

My only experience is with that Galaxy S, and I was talking only about that device. The case of Skype was that it would load, but not connect. This was a few months ago, maybe it has been fixed. But that issue was reported on Skype forum at that time. As for backups/restores/upgrades, my friend and I look at the tool provided by Samsung, and after a lot of reading and searching, it was clear that the tool was not able to do it. We did not checked if any third party was doing that. We did the upgrade together, following instructions... And everything was gone. Again, that was with the Galaxy S, don't know about DroidX or other brand. Anyway, if the tools are available, Samsung did not provided them, nor any documentation. And my friend is far from a geek, she just wants it to work. I cannot imagine her doing that kind of search, she's not even able to install a printer driver from the net ;). If I had the time, maybe I would have found the tools you are talking about. Or I would have made them ;) (look for jSymphonic/NWE00X MP3 Manager or WebcamStudio...)

I'm not saying android is bad, but I think manufacturers are not doing something right. As I said, i'm a long time Linux user, and I know my way around that system. I'm just surprised to see what is happening with Android, since it's started from the culture of Linux...

VicoPad addict!

A simple search for backup would suffice. Apple doesn't provide iTunes with the iPad, you have to go online and search for it. I can backup, restore, and upgrade my stood directly on the phone. No computer needed. Apple can't say the same.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Trky said:
A simple search for backup would suffice. Apple doesn't provide iTunes with the iPad, you have to go online and search for it. I can backup, restore, and upgrade my stood directly on the phone. No computer needed. Apple can't say the same.

Upgrading directly on the phone, That would be cool! It should be possible since the Apple TV is able to do it.

VicoPad addict!

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree it will take the cake as the most stupid remark made this year.

I choked on my Fosters lol when I read it. I actually looked at the date to see if it was 1984 lol Oh wait no it is today.

I would like to add two more company executives that teamed up with Dell to show their respective fears... MS and HP.

So far their contributions are vaporware ... trying to hold onto an enthusiast consumer that waits in long lines for the most exciting new product yet.

I think I'll just join you on this side of the world with my Fosters equivalent and watch these wannbes struggle.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wishful thinking?

Gizmodo carried a report the other day about tablet sales and how the iPad wasn't just dominant, but all conquering. :)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem is simple. If they fail to get a competitive product in front of the public, it strengthens Apple's hold on the market. Microsoft had a competive iPod alternative in the Zune, but took too long to deliver. As a result, after a few years, it has been declared a failure. Many of the competitors are missing their chance if they do not get something good out now. The Galaxie was the first shot, and it missed by a mile. The Xoom is essentially DOA. Now the big hope is that RIM's PlayBook can help it keep a hold on the enterprise market.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
The problem is simple. If they fail to get a competitive product in front of the public, it strengthens Apple's hold on the market. Microsoft had a competive iPod alternative in the Zune, but took too long to deliver. As a result, after a few years, it has been declared a failure. Many of the competitors are missing their chance if they do not get something good out now. The Galaxie was the first shot, and it missed by a mile. The Xoom is essentially DOA. Now the big hope is that RIM's PlayBook can help it keep a hold on the enterprise market.

I wouldnt count Microsoft out just yet. I have a good hunch they have something big up their sleeve for Apple. Microsoft the only one with enough money, experience, and applications to give apple a dethroning, if they wished. Microsoft is mounting a huge comeback. Remember, almost 100% of pcs still use Microsoft operating system. So their power and influence can't be ignored. Even in the tablet realm ;-)

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...which is more to do with legacy than anything else I'd suggest. Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft. I think it's almost inevitable when a brand becomes almost a monopoly simply by having the best product at the time. After a while they stop innovating and die; it wouldn't be unreasonable to think this might happen to Apple as well.

Re: the BB Playbook.. I think we can consider that DOA now as well. How many different versions have we 'seen' now, without a single one being in the hands of a paying customer? RIM can have as many versions as they want - if they don't sell it to customers then it doesn't matter a bit. Additionally, enterprise users have been using tablets for years - their high cost has been accepted by business - it was us consumers who were behind the curve there.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope that they have the amazing hardware to actually backup a claim like that. It would be awesome for consumers since they also would beat Apple on price according to that statement.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Prasius said:
...which is more to do with legacy than anything else I'd suggest. Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft. I think it's almost inevitable when a brand becomes almost a monopoly simply by having the best product at the time. After a while they stop innovating and die; it wouldn't be unreasonable to think this might happen to Apple as well.

Re: the BB Playbook.. I think we can consider that DOA now as well. How many different versions have we 'seen' now, without a single one being in the hands of a paying customer? RIM can have as many versions as they want - if they don't sell it to customers then it doesn't matter a bit. Additionally, enterprise users have been using tablets for years - their high cost has been accepted by business - it was us consumers who were behind the curve there.

Good point about windows and apple. But Microsoft has came back strong with the fastest selling electronic dev( which use to be iPad title) of all time, in the form of Kinect. An excellent piece of technology might I add!

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

Most reactions

Latest posts