What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happened to VLC

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I posted my trouble about uploading MPG files to my iPad Air. On advice I solved that by installing VLC. I would start iTunes and sync --> click on the iPad icon --> select Devices --> select VLC (I think) and I would have a list of the videos I had in the VLC library (I could add or delete at will).

New OS (12.1). New iTunes(12.9.1.4). No VLC!
upload_2018-11-8_15-24-33.png

How do I load videos to VLC on my iPad under this new regime.

OP
Expatriate

Expatriate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You were right about that, Twerpoet, a little cynical maybe, but right.
That forum is an Armistice Day organization - two minutes silence!

However, it turns out that there is an option in the new iTunes to include videos in the Sync process. You just put your video in a subfolder of the folder on your PC you sync to and Bob's your Uncle - on this politically correct age that means that Bob may also be your Aunt! It turns up under Photos.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I did not mean to be cynical. Just an honest wish for you to find help there.

This sounds like the Photo album syncing in iTunes. That’s nothing new, but an old method dating back before most of the cloud syncing and services. I rarely use iTunes to sync stuff to my iPad these days, and that was true before I put my iMac in storage.

Be aware that photos/videos synced to your Photos library via iTunes can only be removed or edited using your computer and iTunes, and then re-syncing.

Most third party media players can transfer media to/from your computer using your local network, the computer’s web browser, and the Wi-Fi Share/Drive/whatever feature in the app. You turn on the feature in the app, then enter the web or IP address shown in the app in the Search/address feild in the computer’s browser.

I have VLC, but haven’t used it in quite a while. I needed more advanced playback features for my morse code practice files, so I moved to nPlayer.

Most reactions

Latest posts