What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think you'll use your iPad for?

Holly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm retired so I won't need the iWork aspect. Will be surfing, playing games, and doing most of my reading on it. It'll save on the book clutter around this house! Have movies on my iTouch but husband prefers a bigger screen so I'll put some movies on it for him when we travel. I'm much more a visual person than an auditory one, so I've found that music on my iTouch doesn't get played very much so I probably won't put any on the iPad.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My plan is to replace my smart phone with the iPad. I'll just carry a tiny basic phone for actually talking to people, and use the ipad for everything data related. Its neat that my phone can do email, web surfing, etc, but I find that I never actually do any of that on my phone because the screen is just too small to be practical.

I've been a long-time fan of the old slate style Tablet PCs. I used to carry a Compaq TC1000 around in slate mode as my PDA, but its just too slow now. I do wish the iPad had a pen option for better drawing, handwriting, adding doodles and diagrams to notes, etc, but its not a deal-breaker. The extra portability and price make up for what it lacks.

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do wish the iPad had a pen option for better drawing, handwriting, adding doodles and diagrams to notes, etc, but its not a deal-breaker.

The iPad screen does work with a stylus, which is handy for drawing and stuff where you need more precision than a fingertip

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do wish the iPad had a pen option for better drawing, handwriting, adding doodles and diagrams to notes, etc, but its not a deal-breaker.

The iPad screen does work with a stylus, which is handy for drawing and stuff where you need more precision than a fingertip

True, but from what I've seen its nowhere close to the precision and control of the wacom tablet stylus used on the Tablet PCs. You even get pressure sensitivity on those. Its just one of those wold-have-been-nice things. I understand that Apple likes to keep things simple. Switching between stylus and finger modes would get overly cumbersome for the masses.

Does anyone know of any note taking apps that let you mix text and drawing on the same page?

mbierle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far, my wife uses hers mostly as an e-book reader. I think she is up to 5 different reader apps on her iPad so far. She also likes having her e-mail with her (although it was available on her iPhone, the interface just wasn't big enough) and loves the SolarWalk 3D and Planets apps! Oh, and she loves Scrabble!

Me, I love it for web surfing, news checking, e-mail, music and movies. I wasn't a Netflix user pre iPad but now, I'm all over it. Streamed 103 episodes of The Office in less that a week. It's nice to be able to pull up a movie and just watch the highlights! We were just watching the highlights of Wrath of Khan on the deck a few minutes ago. It's very cool to just pull up a flick.

Wanted to get a 3G for the GPS capability as I plan for this to be our main GPS device. Still waiting for the killer turn-by-turn iPad GPS app.

We have one of the small Apple Bluetooth keyboards and that is nice for serious typing but I find the onscreen keyboard very usable.

There's just so much you can do with these little toys! Finding about an app a day that trips my trigger. Laridian's new PocketBible app is killer as is Marvel's comic reader. Trying out the new Wired app and it's ok. USA today is a great substitute for the paper version and Pandora is cool.

Just a few initial thoughts.

Highlow87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thiskingdombythesea.tumblr.com
so far i'm mostly using it as a reader which is funny because it wasn't one of the bigger reasons for me getting an ipad. But of course I use it for the interwebz and all the apps and listening to music too.

I just downloaded Ambient Time and I love using it as an alarm clock now :)

Katilea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love scrabble too and sudoku and I'm teaching myself to play chess on it.

I didn't get keyboard but on-screen one is quite easy in landscape. I use zentap pro which has abbreviations and word prediction to help speed things up and sends text straight to email for you.

I like games like bejewelled and tetris and also mini utility apps like sky plus and been able to send in my gas meter reading to the company!

Yesterday I played scrabble in garden, the screen had to be full brightness so batteries didn't seem to last as long but it's still possible to use outdoors as communication aid if I needed to, and screen glare is an issue for all touchscreen devices.

I'm loving mine it's got loads of stuff on it already, next thing to buy for it is red eye dongle when it comes out in uk to use it as a jumbo touchscreen tv remote!

Kati

Sent from my iPad. :ipad-keyboard:

p. s anyone know how I can add the little ipad icon to the fixed line on ipad email that says 'sent from my iPad? It only works in this forum there was no pic there when I tried to copy it.

Last edited:

neo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mostly I use my iPad to surf the web and play games.. even when I'm laying on my bed!

simontay78

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.SimonVideo.com
I use my iPad for listening to tech podcast (free from usa itunes account), watch videos (youtube, dailymotion), play SNES-HD (Mario 3, Shadowrun etc), Show off to American tourist who asked me for direction in Singapore, Read RSS news from apps like "Pulse", "Early Edition", Check stock market with apps like "Bloomberg", "StockWatch", Read pdf using "Good Reader" & iBook, Check my blog statistic using "AnalyticsPro" and "Analytics HD, View live webcam footage & record any video when there is motion detected using "iCam" with push notification.

There are so many usages to iPad such as amuse people with "Ghost Radar", Take notes using Penultinum, the best usage of iPad is PLAY GAMES!

There are so many nice games in iPad that I cannot finish them!
1. Plants vs Zombies
2. Battle at Wesnoth
3. Angry Birds
4. Aurora Feint 3
5. Castle Craft
6. We Rule
7. Resident Evil 4

So many Tower defense games as well :D

David M

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What will we use the iPad for?

Everything we can think of. A real game changer in our house. My wife loves it and she is allergic to computers.

Most reactions

Latest posts