What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think of Apple's decision to change the orientation lock switch?

What do you think of Apple's Decision to change the orientation lock switch?

• Total voters
OP
jasonbrinks

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Meh... :) No harm in disengaging peacefully... Plus, now I know that many others aren't half as particular about the orientation lock change as I am... So no need for an uproar after all... (damn)

iPadMomma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Insignificant?

I think people are making way too big of a deal over a very insignificant (to me anyway!) feature on the iPad.

To you maybe but some people actually used it for a screen lock, like I did. I don't use my iPad for music very much so being able to use it as a mute is rather stupid. This is especially true when the all you have to do is hold down volume button down for a few seconds and it's muted!

iPadMomma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why apologize?

Umm... I didn't see a poll on it, and I was curious about the general response from users (as you can see, it really isn't as bad as I've made it out to be...), apologies if the recurrence of such a topic bothers you...

Hey if the critics don't like the post they don't need to click on it, do they? Some people have WAY too much time on their hands and need to take a chill pill.

boudewein

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unlike the iPhone, the iPad doesn't fit in your pocket and as such you really don't need to change settings like volume and lock by touch.

coregeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.coregeek.net
I originally posted this on my blog.

There was no need to reconfigure the slide switch to a mute button and bury the screen lock in the software. The screen lock switch was convenient and I used it a lot. I don’t care about a mute switch that actually doesn’t mute all volumes. Apparently it is only for system notifications or something? Because I was watching a video on Devour (best YouTube site ever) with the switch muted and sound still coming from the speaker. Guess they decided the iPad needed a button like the green/+ window button on OSX. I’ve been using Macs for years and still haven’t figured out what that blasted button is suppose to do. So ya hear me Steve? I want my lock button back, or at least the option to switch it back.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Umm... I didn't see a poll on it, and I was curious about the general response from users (as you can see, it really isn't as bad as I've made it out to be...), apologies if the recurrence of such a topic bothers you...

Actually the other poll was worded in such a way that it seemed to presume it was bad... and the results of poll were kind of skewed that way due to it... I think anyway.

But you worded your poll very much in a neutral manner. So kudos for that. And indeed the results are far different than the other poll. :)

Michael

iDaniel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can see where the mute button might be useful if you're doing a keynote presentation and can't navigate to the settings screen to quickly disable all notification alert sounds.

Elminster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would hardly call a double click + one swipe "buried" in the software settings.

Well, to each their own. I use it all the time and after a while it feels buried compared to a simple hard switch. My biggest gripe though is it really should be a user option. That would be great.

I agree user selectable would have been good. Unlike most of you I rarely use screen lock but switch between mid volume and mute many times a day. So the semi mute is much more useful for me.

If the button was user selectable then this whole thing would have been a non issue. I would complain if they swapped it back!

RoadPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing more useless than a thread about the screen orientation/mute button change is yet another thread about the screen orientation/mute button change.

krepitch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't upgraded my operating system yet just because I don't want to lose the orientation lock switch. I suppose it's not really going to be a big deal, but I agree with the posters who think that the best option would be for the user to have the ability to determine what function that button has.

Most reactions

Latest posts