What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you guys think of this MiFi dongle from 3 (uk)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's great - nothing but praise for it. It has excellent sensitivity, good battery life of about 5 hours, ability to support 5 simultaneous users - really small, the publicity shots don't do it justice, the display is excellent and shows network, signal strength, signal type (always HSDPA from '3'), number of connected users etc. From your iPad you can go through to the '3' site too and see your usage. Pocket size means you can just carry it about while surfing on your iPad - everyone will think you have 3G!

The only very minor annoyance is that there's no way to keep the display on, even when it's charging (they supply a charger or you can charge from a USB port).

Tim

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i was going to buy one last year, but i didn't like the contract's terms and conditions one little bit. great i suppose if you have multiple devices you want to connect to on the move, but impractical, un-flexible and expensive for a single device on it's on in my case.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually I bought a SIM-free version and then a '3' PAYG card to avoid exactly the issues that you mention.

Tim

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
yeah, looks like they changed (or evolved) their deals. i looked into these babies early last year, and even the payg deal was pretty pants. looking at it now it does look a lot more in line with what you'd expect :)

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
youngun said:
It creates your own wifi hotspot

Internet on the go with Mobile Broadband from 3

It would be most useful for people like me who are getting, or have, the WiFi only model.

Have you guys used anything like this before?
If so, share your experiences.

The MIFI from 3 is what I am using now. It is fantastic. I have been using it for 3 months now. While in UK, I use it with my laptop, my iPhone, my iPad and my blackberry. The coverage is very good too. Late last month I asked for it to be unlocked. After paying about £15, it was unlocked.

I am in Nigeria now watching the election. I use the MIFI everywhere. Since it is easy to carry, I use it in the car to link my systems to the Internet.

My version is the Huawei E 585. With my wifi I do not need any microsim.

OP
youngun

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, it helps make the right decision! This device can prove to be cost effective and has great flexibility, especially for WiFi only model owners.

Actually I bought a SIM-free version and then a '3' PAYG card to avoid exactly the issues that you mention.

Tim

I too will be going for the PAYG option once I get my iPad.

OP
youngun

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
youngun said:
It creates your own wifi hotspot

Internet on the go with Mobile Broadband from 3

It would be most useful for people like me who are getting, or have, the WiFi only model.

Have you guys used anything like this before?
If so, share your experiences.

The MIFI from 3 is what I am using now. It is fantastic. I have been using it for 3 months now. While in UK, I use it with my laptop, my iPhone, my iPad and my blackberry. The coverage is very good too. Late last month I asked for it to be unlocked. After paying about £15, it was unlocked.

I am in Nigeria now watching the election. I use the MIFI everywhere. Since it is easy to carry, I use it in the car to link my systems to the Internet.

My version is the Huawei E 585. With my wifi I do not need any microsim.

That is great to hear!

ipfuser653

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another vote here for the MiFi. Especially as you can roam in any country with a Three network and only get charged your standard contract / home rates. As I regularly travel between Ireland and the UK I find this invaluable.

Most reactions

Latest posts