What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broadband Dongle Connection to an IPad

lest44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I was very lucky to win a 32Gb WIFI IPad in our works christmas raffle. Unfortunately, funds would not stretch to buying one with the 3G version, but beggars can't be choosers. I have a USB Broadband Tmobile Huawai Dongle that I normally use with the laptop when away from home. Now I have the IPad, which takes up a lot less space in the bag instead of the Laptop, I would like to be able to connect the dongle to the IPad so that I can connect to the net anywhere when a wifi hotspot is not available. As the USB lead that comes with the IPad connects to the PC for Itunes ect to transfer data as well as charge the unit, it should therefore be able to connect via an female/female usb adaptor to the Dongle. Is this possible, has anybody managed to get it to work, if so how? Does it need a special App for it? Why has Apple not already done it? It would make the basic wifi IPad much more useable and give the mobile phone network providers a new way or making money from it.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Martin

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad USB connection can supply only 10mA compared to a normal USB port at 300mA. It would not be able to charge the WiFi dongle.

Tim

OP
L

lest44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Tim. That explains it then, however, I am sure the clever electronic boffins out there could come up with a means of doing it by increasing the output within a special adaptor somehow or other. Until then, just have to convince the Wife to let me get a 3G Ipad instead!

Martin

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that this will never be possible - it's part of the hardware design of the iPad and simply can't be changed too much..

Tim

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hesitated to add my $.02 since you're in the UK and carriers are very different than in the US. But the solution on this side of the pond would be to purchase a "wifi hotspot" (i.e. a portable 3G modem) to replace your current dongle. It would provide internet access for your laptop and the iPad. Simultaneously if required.

debbied88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using virgin mobile peel. It is $29 plus $20 a month. It will do two wifi devices at a time. Not perfect but it serves my needs.

OP
L

lest44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for all your replies. I suppose apple are not going make things easy when they really want you to go out and buy their 3g version. I was more thinking of a device that plugs into the ipad which could then boost the output power from the ipad enough to power a dongle. It might need an addition power supply, but that does not make for a very portable solution. I do like the portable 3G modem idea and looking on the net there are several on the market in the uk which the usb dongle plugs into and then transmits it as a wifi hotspot. More search is needed. Many thanks for all your help on this one.

Martin

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for all your replies. I suppose apple are not going make things easy when they really want you to go out and buy their 3g version. I was more thinking of a device that plugs into the ipad which could then boost the output power from the ipad enough to power a dongle. It might need an addition power supply, but that does not make for a very portable solution. I do like the portable 3G modem idea and looking on the net there are several on the market in the uk which the usb dongle plugs into and then transmits it as a wifi hotspot. More search is needed. Many thanks for all your help on this one.

Martin

Martin,

You're on the right track, I think. Here in the US we're more or less tied wrist and ankle to cell phone carriers for such devices. And with the exception of a few small carriers (e.g. Virgin Mobile), the data plan costs are relatively high. But I believe you may be in a stronger position as a consumer in Europe.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad USB port does not provide enough power to drive a modem, and this was done to prolong battery life. I don't believe Apple conspired to prevent anyone from using a broadband dongle, it's simply not archetecturally desired.

-t

Most reactions

Latest posts