What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you reading now?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The best of Zane Grey (IMHO) is Riders of the Purple Sage. I, too, am an SF fan---though of the "hard science" variety: Heinlein, Azimov, etc. Also like the River World series by Phillip Jose Farmer, and even some fantasy---say by that consummate master, Roger Zelazny.

My old favorites too, well, Farmer not as much, but I've read a few of his. I'll get around to the River World series eventually. I got more into the fantasy when the hard science fiction became scarce and the best new authors seemed to migrate that way. Now it's about evenly split (if you ignore vampire stuff).

Haven't read The Last of the Plainsmen. Whadda' you think thus far?

Beautifully descriptive and paced. It just flows along. Not the wild west adventure I thought it would be. Kind of a documentary written as an adventure.

(Grandfathers? Guess that makes you "un petit enfant", n'est pas?)

Even with Google Translate I'm not sure what that meant. (language challenged here). At any rate, I'm among the oldest of the grandchildren on my mothers side, and youngest on my fathers. I did not get the books from grandpa, but my father when he passed a couple years ago. I'm 50, and definitely not petit. ;)

P. S. What the dickens is "Wild Cards"?

Not by Dickens, by George R. R. Martin (author and edited by): a collection of short stories and novels based on a world where an alien mutagenic virus was dumped on New York shortly after the end of WW II. It resulted in a lot of deaths, some monsters, and a few super heroes and villains. I've only read the first two stories; but it's pretty good so far. I picked it up because the entire series was on sale in the iBook store, and it's always been on my read someday list.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. Obviously, I am missing out a lot by not following this thread.

Thanks for the idea of "Wild Cards" series, Twerppoet. It sounds very interesting and I have just gotten the first book, "Wild Cards I" from Amazon ($2.99!). Look forward to reading it as I, too, enjoy the SF and/or Fantasy genres.

Now, off to start at the beginning of this thread for more ideas. Like I need another book to add to the TBR file... :D

Marilyn

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
My old favorites too, well, Farmer not as much, but I've read a few of his. I'll get around to the River World series eventually. I got more into the fantasy when the hard science fiction became scarce and the best new authors seemed to migrate that way. Now it's about evenly split (if you ignore vampire stuff).

Beautifully descriptive and paced. It just flows along. Not the wild west adventure I thought it would be. Kind of a documentary written as an adventure.

Even with Google Translate I'm not sure what that meant. (language challenged here). At any rate, I'm among the oldest of the grandchildren on my mothers side, and youngest on my fathers. I did not get the books from grandpa, but my father when he passed a couple years ago. I'm 50, and definitely not petit. ;)

Not by Dickens, by George R. R. Martin (author and edited by): a collection of short stories and novels based on a world where an alien mutagenic virus was dumped on New York shortly after the end of WW II. It resulted in a lot of deaths, some monsters, and a few super heroes and villains. I've only read the first two stories; but it's pretty good so far. I picked it up because the entire series was on sale in the iBook store, and it's always been on my read someday list.

"petit enfant" = grandson en francais. I'll have to try Plainsman. Please post your thoughts on the Martin stories when done. The only stuff I have read by Farmer IS his Riverworld series. Have to admit that he kept me going through the whole thing.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
"petit enfant" = grandson en francais. I'll have to try Plainsman. Please post your thoughts on the Martin stories when done. The only stuff I have read by Farmer IS his Riverworld series. Have to admit that he kept me going through the whole thing.

Ahh, Google came up with "little child", not entirely off but confusing in the context.

See what I can do with the Wild Card stories. I'm not usually a fan of short story collections, but this looks to be an exception.

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I've always been more of a science fiction and fantasy reader...

Me too. Started out with Asimov, Clark, Herbert. Perhaps my favorite novel is Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game. My favorite series is C. J. Cherryh's Foreigner universe. Just started rereading Joe Haldeman's Forever War, after finding it on Kindle-- like finding an old friend.

Never, never, never give up -- Winston Churchill

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Card is one of the best. Which reminds me, there are a (very) few of his books I haven't read. They need to go on my shopping list.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JewelGarden said:
Me too. Started out with Asimov, Clark, Herbert. Perhaps my favorite novel is Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game. My favorite series is C. J. Cherryh's Foreigner universe. Just started rereading Joe Haldeman's Forever War, after finding it on Kindle-- like finding an old friend.

Ender's Game was great. Haven't read any of the sequels. Just finished Dune (again). First read it in serial form in Analog.

Haven't read anything by Cherryh. Which is first in the series? I will give him a try.

Really liked what I have read of Haldeman. I think only the first volume of Forever War, though. Also like Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

Have you read The Mote in God's Eye? One of their finest collaborations.

Last edited:

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Heaviside said:
Ender's Game was great. Haven't read any of the sequels. Just finished Dune (again). First read it in serial form in Analog.

Haven't read anything by Cherryh. Which is first in the series? I will give him a try.

Really liked what I have read of Haldeman. I think only the first volume of Forever War, though. Also like Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

Have you read The Mote in God's Eye? One of their finest collaborations.

Yes, Mote was a great read. Also liked the Niven/Pournelle Lucifer's Hammer. BTW Cherryh is a woman, and a very talented writer, IMO. Try her Foreigner (first novel in the series.) It's not available as an ebook, but is in print as a paperback.

Publisher's blurb-- From its beginnings as a human-alien story of first contact, the Foreigner series has become a true science fiction odyssey, following a civilization from the age of steam through early space flight to confrontations with other alien species in distant sectors of space. It is the masterwork of a truly remarkable author.

robster2644

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The black prism by Brent weeks, good book

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm reading....

The Drop by Michael Donnelly. This a fiction novel.

A little info...
Harry Bosch has been given three years before he must retire from the LAPD, and he wants cases more fiercely than ever. In one morning, he gets two.

DNA from a 1989 rape and murder matches a 29-year-old convicted rapist. Was he an eight-year-old killer or has something gone terribly wrong in the new Regional Crime Lab? The latter possibility could compromise all of the lab’s DNA cases currently in court. Then Bosch and his partner are called to a death scene fraught with internal politics. Councilman Irvin Irving’s son jumped or was pushed from a window at the Chateau Marmont. Irving, Bosch’s longtime nemesis, has demanded that Harry handle the investigation. Relentlessly pursuing both cases, Bosch makes two chilling discoveries: a killer operating unknown in the city for as many as three decades, and a political conspiracy that goes back into the dark history of the police department.

Last edited:

iLloyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im reading Steve Jobs... On my iPad :)

Taking me ages as I dont get round to reading much because it just puts me to sleep after a few pages.

Really interesting book though. What an absolute genius.

Sent via my Opposable Thumbs

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im reading Steve Jobs... On my iPad :)

Taking me ages as I dont get round to reading much because it just puts me to sleep after a few pages.

Really interesting book though. What an absolute genius.

Sent via my Opposable Thumbs

Thats my next book on the list :). I just have to many that I look forward to read.

Right now my list is:

The drop (currently reading)
Steve Jobs Bio
Steven King 11/22/63

The problem it keep growing fast lol... I just finished the 3 books from Stieg Larson Girl with the Dragon tattoo, The Girl who played with fire and The Girls who kicked the hornets nest.

Most reactions

Latest posts