What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you guys doing right NOW??? ;)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. He's just out to inspect the work before final payment to contractors, so flies back tomorrow, yeah.

Are you dealing with home construction, Kay?

We dealt with that-a few years back, but we were living in the home during all the construction. It was such a headache-I was so glad it was done!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you dealing with home construction, Kay?

We dealt with that-a few years back, but we were living in the home during all the construction. It was such a headache-I was so glad it was done!

I know what you mean! No more remodeling for us. Years ago, we had a house gutted throughout and it was such a pain, we decided to buy only new homes or places that didn't need remodeling from there on out.

This time, we just had someone rip out all the landscaping/hardscaping in the backyard, because we didn't like how the builder had done it. Added a terrace, fireplace and gazebo. Have been meaning to do that since we bought a few years ago and finally did.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know what you mean! No more remodeling for us. Years ago, we had a house gutted throughout and it was such a pain, we decided to buy only new homes or places that didn't need remodeling from there on out.

This time, we just had someone rip out all the landscaping/hardscaping in the backyard, because we didn't like how the builder had done it. Added a terrace, fireplace and gazebo. Have been meaning to do that since we bought a few years ago and finally did.

Wow--your place sounds like it is going to be the ultimate home with all the beautiful add-ons!

Our home is an older home-so when construction time came--the issues were always tying in the old with the new and how to do it so to speak. Overall, we loved the changes and the new rooms it brought. In fact, we love our new great room since we use that room probably 80% of the time versus the rest of the home! My husband and I took it upon ourselves to put together a circular staircase leading from the great room into our master bedroom above. That took an entire 2 weekends non-stop.

Ron, my husband, is now a happy camper-since he is a big wild game hunter. With the new addition there is a wall reserved for all his trophies...I am such a nice wife! :D

Enjoy the final countdown to when it's done--hopefully soon so you can enjoy in the summer!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow--your place sounds like it is going to be the ultimate home with all the beautiful add-ons!

Our home is an older home-so when construction time came--the issues were always tying in the old with the new and how to do it so to speak. Overall, we loved the changes and the new rooms it brought. In fact, we love our new great room since we use that room probably 80% of the time versus the rest of the home! My husband and I took it upon ourselves to put together a circular staircase leading from the great room into our master bedroom above. That took an entire 2 weekends non-stop.

Ron, my husband, is now a happy camper-since he is a big wild game hunter. With the new addition there is a wall reserved for all his trophies...I am such a nice wife! :D

Enjoy the final countdown to when it's done--hopefully soon so you can enjoy in the summer!

Wow, I'm impressed that you put together a circular staircase yourselves. Sounds lovely, going up from great room to master.

I know what you mean about the challenges of tying new to old. It's terrific that you get to enjoy all your efforts now.

Our backyard is done; my husband flew out to check out the work before final payment. I haven't seen it because I haven't been able to get away from work. My husband did all the planning and design with the contractor, and he says I should see it in person for the full effect. He wants me to be surprised. I figure if it's hideous, at least I won't spend much time looking at it, because I prefer the indoors, lol.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, I'm impressed that you put together a circular staircase yourselves. Sounds lovely, going up from great room to master.

I know what you mean about the challenges of tying new to old. It's terrific that you get to enjoy all your efforts now.

Our backyard is done; my husband flew out to check out the work before final payment. I haven't seen it because I haven't been able to get away from work. My husband did all the planning and design with the contractor, and he says I should see it in person for the full effect. He wants me to be surprised. I figure if it's hideous, at least I won't spend much time looking at it, because I prefer the indoors, lol.

You are lucky that your husband has taken care of all the planning and design. Ron and I did a lot of it, but he traveled quite a bit-which left me with a lot of workers asking me questions! It wouldn't have been so bad had I not decided to go back to graduate school, mom ill and working a full time job-LOL, but we all survived!

Will you be moving far from your current residency? Sounds so exciting!

I like the outdoors-when it is the perfect climate. If it's too cold, you will find me inside, but all the blinds have to be up so I get the sunshine! The Gazebo sounds very cool-with coffee and your coconut doughnuts to enjoy! :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are lucky that your husband has taken care of all the planning and design. Ron and I did a lot of it, but he traveled quite a bit-which left me with a lot of workers asking me questions! It wouldn't have been so bad had I not decided to go back to graduate school, mom ill and working a full time job-LOL, but we all survived!

Will you be moving far from your current residency? Sounds so exciting!

I like the outdoors-when it is the perfect climate. If it's too cold, you will find me inside, but all the blinds have to be up so I get the sunshine! The Gazebo sounds very cool-with coffee and your coconut doughnuts to enjoy! :)

Geez, I'm impressed that you juggled all that at the same time. Glad it all worked out.

The backyard work was at our second home. We don't spend much time there now, but imagine retiring there one day. Our extended families use the house, too, when they want a place to relax. Sometimes we meet them there at the same time. It's harder now, though, because some of the kids are school age and are getting into activities and sports. Kids have schedules nowadays that seem more jampacked than mine, lol. Outside of work, I'm pretty much a blob.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, yes...a second home. We, too have that up north. Having 2 homes, to me is double the work and very tiring at times! Very enjoyable--but you have to work at keeping it nice, etc. We use it mostly in the Fall and Summer months--for boating, hiking, etc. In fact, we will be heading up there-next month to get to get it open again.

I can't imagine retiring there though, it is too far out from all my things I like to do! There is no Target or best buy within 1-2 hour distance-I would not survive at all! I am still a suburb/city girl and like to be in close proximity to things I enjoy!

Sometimes I am with you on the whole Blob thing--I just want to sit and relax!!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, yes...a second home. We, too have that up north. Having 2 homes, to me is double the work and very tiring at times! Very enjoyable--but you have to work at keeping it nice, etc. We use it mostly in the Fall and Summer months--for boating, hiking, etc. In fact, we will be heading up there-next month to get to get it open again.

I can't imagine retiring there though, it is too far out from all my things I like to do! There is no Target or best buy within 1-2 hour distance-I would not survive at all! I am still a suburb/city girl and like to be in close proximity to things I enjoy!

Sometimes I am with you on the whole Blob thing--I just want to sit and relax!!

Yes, I know exactly what you mean about more work with two houses.

We wanted our second home to be as maintenance-free as possible, so that was part of the motivation for ripping out the old landscaping, which required a lot of tending. We'd rather have fewer strangers (gardeners and such) around the house, since we don't live there full time.

I'm a city person, so both our homes are in the midst of things. (Apple stores close by both of them, lol.)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I know exactly what you mean about more work with two houses.

We wanted our second home to be as maintenance-free as possible, so that was part of the motivation for ripping out the old landscaping, which required a lot of tending. We'd rather have fewer strangers (gardeners and such) around the house, since we don't live there full time.

I'm a city person, so both our homes are in the midst of things. (Apple stores close by both of them, lol.)

Wow--you seriously made all the right moves with your homes--maintenance free is certainly the way to go! The weeds--I wish they could stop growing!!

I can't believe you managed to be close to two Apple Stores as well-you lucky girl!! So jealous!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow--you seriously made all the right moves with your homes--maintenance free is certainly the way to go! The weeds--I wish they could stop growing!!

I can't believe you managed to be close to two Apple Stores as well-you lucky girl!! So jealous!

I actually don't go to Apple stores much, lol, but I like being close to everything. I'd also imagine wanting to be near good medical care the older we get.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I actually don't go to Apple stores much, lol, but I like being close to everything. I'd also imagine wanting to be near good medical care the older we get.

I probably wouldn't either, since you can order a lot of things online, but on occasion I do like to go in and get my fix!!

Regarding Medical Care-you are so right on that! We just got both sides going to the same network of care to make it easy for all of us.

Most reactions

Latest posts