What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird Gmail/Siri?? Issue

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having a weird issue all of the sudden on my iPad Air.

If I get a reminder or for some reason forward myself a message on my Gmail, on my iPad Air, it shows up as coming from "Asia". On my computer, it shows up as coming from "me".

My daughter has my old Ipad 3 and I wiped it and restored what she used to use which at one time was my original iPad. On her iPad, it is registered to me, and is using my iTunes account because I have purchased several apps for her.

I think this might be a Siri issue somehow because recently she told Siri to call her "Asia". (Her name is Asyalee.) So, if I use her iPad 3 and ask Siri "What's my name" the response is "Your name is Glen En****, but since we're friends I call you Asia".

On my iPad Air, all the settings, everything indicates Glen En*****. Even Siri says I am Glen En*****. The only thing I can think of that would be causing this strange behavior is the Siri connection and the fact that the 3 used to be my iPad. Even my iPhone shows the correct sender name for the email, not Asia.

Can someone explain this?? It's just an annoyance.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Since you are using the same Apple ID, did you also, by chance, keep her logged into the same iCloud account. Nicknames, the ones Siri uses, are stored in the Contacts app, and would sync between devices if they are on the same iCloud account.

The good news is that your iCloud account does not have to be the same as your Apple ID (iTunes).

If that turns out to be the problem, she can log out of iCloud in Settings iCloud, then when turning iCloud back on choose to create a new account (with a different ID and password).

The downside, if it is a downside, is that you would no longer share the same calendar, email, contacts, and other iCloud services. Though most of them can be shared piecemeal with other iCloud users in various ways.

OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is helpful. I don't share mail, calendar, or contacts with her iPad.

The only iCloud service I would use is Find My iPhone.

I wonder if I can just turn everything but Find My iPhone off and see if that fixes it somehow??

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is helpful. I don't share mail, calendar, or contacts with her iPad.

The only iCloud service I would use is Find My iPhone.

I wonder if I can just turn everything but Find My iPhone off and see if that fixes it somehow??

You can try. But you'll want to go into Settings > Siri and make sure My Info points at your contact in Contacts. If it does, you should also edit that contact to make sure it hasn't somehow acquired the Asia nickname.

OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you!

Somehow, my contact acquired the nickname 'Asia', possibly from her telling Siri to call her that.

I'll have to test.

Thanks again. I thought I had checked everything!

Glen

Most reactions

Latest posts