What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Website page loading hangs

joeirish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Have an iPad 2 with IOS 5.01. When accessing some websites pages either don't fully load (progress bar stops part way across) or some images don't load. Now when I access the same websites on my Mac on the same network the problem is not there. Using Firefox on the Mac I can see that during the page loading process external websites are accessed (google analytics or sites that deliver banner ads etc.) and I was wondering if this might be the cause of my problem. I've already done all the usual re-sets and re-boots but no joy. I'also changed to another browser, iCab, but again no luck. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions. One specific websites I'm having problems with is guardian.co.uk. Maybe somebody here could try accessing that site and then click on some of the links and see if they get the problem?

Thanks

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This happens to me every once in a while also. I usually just clear all my browser history and cache and seems to work fine after that....

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
joeirish said:
Thanks. Did that and still no better.

Try freeing up memory by removing apps that you ave closed. They cut ally 'go to sleep' o that they can be re-started more quickly, but that does still use up some memory. Double tap the start button, press and hold an icon until a red minus sign appears, then select each red sign and delete the icons. Should help. My grand-son had a grand total of 32 apps still running!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried the website you suggested. Everything looks OK to me. Loads quite quickly with no hang ups. I did notice that the banner ads were local to me (Canadian) so perhaps there is an issue with one of your local ads hanging the page. I've noticed this happening from time to time on my Windows PC browsing with Google Chrome.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Almost every website now has google ads and analytics set up so they have to access external sites.
Try going to one of those sites and just leaving the ipad alone for a while to see if the page ever loads.

OP
J

joeirish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gtatler

Did that still no difference. Thanks.

OP
J

joeirish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Graywolf

Thanks for the reply. I left the page loading and it only partially loaded with no formatting. Any way to stop these adverts loading?

OP
J

joeirish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I tried the website you suggested. Everything looks OK to me. Loads quite quickly with no hang ups. I did notice that the banner ads were local to me (Canadian) so perhaps there is an issue with one of your local ads hanging the page. I've noticed this happening from time to time on my Windows PC browsing with Google Chrome.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Thanks KevinJS. I sent an email to the Guardian website to see if they know anything. Just really trying to find out if any of these servers use Flash or suchlike which might be causing the hang up.

Joe

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
joeirish said:
Thanks KevinJS. I sent an email to the Guardian website to see if they know anything. Just really trying to find out if any of these servers use Flash or suchlike which might be causing the hang up.

Joe

Don't think it would be flash causing the trouble. The BBC web site is full o flash videos, yet all their pages load OK in iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts