What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Web Redirect issue

Deejay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a strange problem with my Air2, my Google searches are getting redirected to 192.168.1.254 (this is part of the setup page for BT broadband) Safari and Firefox do this.

I have two Android tablets/PC's and a laptop that work fine.

cheers

Dave.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a strange problem with my Air2, my Google searches are getting redirected to 192.168.1.254 (this is part of the setup page for BT broadband) Safari and Firefox do this.

I have two Android tablets/PC's and a laptop that work fine.

cheers

Dave.

This is most likely an issue with your ISP provided router trying to "take over" some of your search traffic so they can make money.

OP
D

Deejay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmm, anyway round it? i don't browse with my pad very often at home but it would still be nice to have the option.
btw I tried my Pad at work today via my phone and it was fine.

Cheers.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could try using another router, such as the Apple Airport Express to see if you have the same problem. There's no rule that says you have to use the router provided by your ISP.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Changing the DNS server in you wi-fi settings may help as well (if it's a re-routing issue with your ISP). If you have access to your wi-fi router it is best to change it there. You can also change it in Settings > Wi-Fi and selecting the (i) next to your connection. The problem with doing it there is it will go back to the ISP's any time you have to forget and re-setup your connection.

Good ones to use are:

Googles DNS server: 8.8.8.8
Open DNS Server: 208.67.222.222

I use Google as my primary and Open DNS as my secondary servers.

But before you go crazy, try going to Settings > Safari, and Clear History and Website Data. (you'll have to re-enter your log-in credentials on most sites that usually remember you)

OP
D

Deejay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks gent, i will have a tinker later.

Most reactions

Latest posts