What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google redirect to yahoo virus

mike222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
When I open up safari and go to google it redirects to yahoo, I did a search and apparently this a a new type of virus, does anybody know what to do?
I guess the problem is that generally you need to download a tool to remove viruses how do we do this on the ipad?
If anybody knows how to remove it, it would be greatly appreciated.:mad:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before you do anything else, go into Settings | Safari | Search Engine and make sure your default search engine is Google... assuming that is what you want it to be.

pddmob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mike. I found your post on google. I am having the same issue with my ipad, a of lastnight, did you ever reach a solution to this problem. If so, please help. I have the same problem

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like either you jailbroke your iPad and installed something that changed settings to always use yahoo...or someone or something changed your default search engine to yahoo as was suggested.

There are no iPad viruses and if there are the only way you could get one is thru Cydia.

pddmob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i was curious about virus barrier. It supposedly can scan the Ipad now and look for malware etc. But unfortuneately I do not have a MAco or anything with mac OS as needed. They do have the "dual" version that works with windows, but again it has to be windows, ran on a mac.

so I am Mac-ignorant as you can probably tell, is there any way around this? it only appears to redirect when i try to use google thru safari. it takes me to a microsoft site for some reason. I was browsing the bestbuy site and next thing i know it started having issues. Th only other thing I could think of was my wife had checked her AOL email thru the safari site

sacwoodpusher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Redirection

So....it can't happen...but it is happening....Go to Safari, do a google search, and I am directed to a yahoo developer site. I am also redirected to yahoo developer when I enter google dot com in the url bar.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I cannot replicate this problem.

Since you opened a year-old thread to inform us of this, can you please tell us what steps you took in getting to the Yahoo web site?

Because I went, via Safari, to Google, typed in a random phrase and got a normal, Google search result page. I'd be very interested in seeing what search terms, or what actions taken, result in being directed to Yahoo. In addition, I went to the URL bar and typed in Google.com. I got the main Google search page.

So, in order to help solve your issue, can you provide us with the specific steps/search terms you used? Mainly because I can't replicate your issue and now, I'm curious...

Thanks.

Marilyn

goldy21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue as the original poster. Re-starting temporarily fixes the problem, but it randomly starts happening again until another reboot.

This happens both when I type google.com in the address bar and when I search for anything in the Safari search bar.

Lightkeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had same problem w iPad and windows computer. Resetting router turned out to fix it.

Mandalynn17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem today, it was very trippy. It was fine this morning, and then this afternoon on my iphone I was trying to search in the safari app on the google search bar for a crossword clue and it automatically sent me to the yahoo developer page. If I tried to reload or type in "google.com" the url bar it still kept sending me back to the yahoo developer page. I tried closing out of that window and opening a new one with the same result. I also closed out of Safari from running in the background and reopened it with the same result. A few hours later I tried it and it was fine.

EvilMonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This happens on occasion. I had it on my Windows PC last year for awhile, but IIRC (and I possibly don't) it was some issue with a DNS server somewhere, which explains why it was happening to me, but not other people....only people routing through a particular DNS were having the problem.

danallenhouston

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Steps to Reproduce Problem

Hi,

I have this problem in my iPad, MacBook Pro, and HP laptop. The problem clears usually after about 20 minutes, but when it is happening, it affects all the devices on my network. Then, it clears on all the devices on my network.

When it is happening, here are the steps to produce problem on iPad:
1. Open Safari on iPad
2. In the address bar, enter the address for google (cannot post actual addresses in here, because my account is new), press enter. Screeshot of result is attached (click thumbnail below). In the screenshot, the address bar has been refilled/redirected to an address at yahoo. That is where I typed google.com to produce this problem.

<< was not allowed to post screenshot or link, because my account is new. Also cannot post the link where I am getting redirected. This is unfortunate, because the screenshot and link show the problem pretty clearly.>>

My network is an in-home wi-fi router, connected to a local high speed ISP

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-04 at 12.44.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-04 at 12.44.02 PM.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 541

Most reactions

Latest posts