What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weather App on Home Desktop?

gross001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All--
I am new to the IPAD2, and would like to add an application that has time, and basic weather info constantly displayed on home page/desktop (e.g., not have to open App to view data). I have looked on the App store and can't find anything like used on smart phones. Does such an App exist and, if several, which would you recommend? Look forward to your help and thanks in advance!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You won't find anything in the App Store. Unless you jailbreak this type of app is not available. Right now there is no jailbreak available for the iPad 2, but you could head on over to the Hacker forum and read the stickies so you can decide if you want to jailbreak, and start learning the ins and outs if you do.

Eventually there will be a jailbreak for the iPad2.

Jailbreaking is similar to rooting on Android phones. It lets you do things that the OS won't normally allow.

OP
gross001

gross001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! Will need to consider jail breaking once available. Appreciate both insights!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once you do jailbreak, here are the apps you want to look into in order to customize your lock screen (with widgets, etc):

1. SmartScreen - Allows you to put widgets on your lock screen. Really nice on the iPad!
2. LockInfo - While not really widgets, it allows you to view a lot of good info on the lock screen.
3. IntelliScreen - I have not personally used this one, but it's similar to widgets on the iPhone only, I believe...

None of these are free, but they are worth the few dollars that they cost, in my opinion. SmartScreen seems to be the bestt on the iPad. I prefer LockInfo on my iPhone though....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Jailbreaking is similar to rooting on Android phones.

I was wondering what "rooting" meant! You are so smart.;)

I had a Droid X as little three weeks ago, and hung out in that forum. Not hearing and knowing about rooting over there would be even harder than avoiding threads about jailbreaking here. :D

BTW, it was that forum that led me here. They're our sister site.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Obviously not Australian......

I got an opportunity to spend a few day in Australia back in 97 when the USCGC Polar Sea visited Antarctica.

I visited Tasmania, Melbourne, Adelaide, and Fremantle. When the ship pulled into Adelaide a family invited me to tea, and showed me around some of the parks. I came away thinking you were a rather ok lot. I wouldn't mind being mistaken for an Australian, but I don't think I can pull off the accent :D

JohnKitching

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All--
I am new to the IPAD2, and would like to add an application that has time, and basic weather info constantly displayed on home page/desktop (e.g., not have to open App to view data). I have looked on the App store and can't find anything like used on smart phones. Does such an App exist and, if several, which would you recommend? Look forward to your help and thanks in advance!
You might find that Nightstand does what you want. It has a clock and local weather (that I think updates). There are free (with ads) and paid versions.

I tried to post a link to the apps but my standing isn't high enough apparently. The apps are called:

Nightstand Central for iPad Free - Alarm Clock with Weather and Photo Wallpapers
Nightstand Central for iPad - Music Alarm Clock with Weather and Photos

Last edited:
OP
gross001

gross001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JohnKitching said:
You might find that Nightstand does what you want. It has a clock and local weather (that I think updates). There are free (with ads) and paid versions.

I tried to post a link to the apps but my standing isn't high enough apparently. The apps are called:

Nightstand Central for iPad Free - Alarm Clock with Weather and Photo Wallpapers
Nightstand Central for iPad - Music Alarm Clock with Weather and Photos

John,
Thanks much!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nightstand works well for what it is. However, what the OP was looking for was, in effect, a "widget", i.e. a small icon that runs in the background, updates appropriately, and displays as an icon on the home screen much like an app or folder. Such a feature is not available on the iPad. It's common on Android devices. Apple's approach to "multi-tasking," however, does not enable that feature except for a few selected apps.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, there is Fahrenheit- Weather and Temperature or Celsius - Weather and Temperature. They display the current temperature as badges on the icon. That's about as close as you can get to a widget without jailbreaking.

Most reactions